PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type X 12" Box Plan

Unknownrc
08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
hey guys!, i recently purchased an Alpine type X 12" in a prefab box, which isn't the greatest. So im trying to design a new box, i have an idea in mind but dont know if its correct. I've been doing some research and i know that the box needs to be/have

1.8 - 2.5 cubic ft3

29-35 Hz

29+ spin of port area.

So heres the box i think i designed properly

Also, i have a Mtx tc600.1 amp. Its going into a 1993 Toyota Camry. I usually listen to modern rap, hip hop, and dubstep! :)

Any suggestions or help is appreciated! Thank you!

P.S. HEYY :) this is my first post here, meaning that i just signed up :) I hope that in future days, i will be able to help people out, and in return, people can help me out :)

sobe3yourself.
08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome! I cannot help you too much as I do not know much about box designs, but that is pretty much on par with other designs I have seen for type x's.

Unknownrc
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Lol! thanks for the welcome and the advice :) Ill just make the box and see if it sounds good :)

surreal
08-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Dont do that just yet..
What type of sound are you looking for? Music type? How much power will you be giving it? Theres a lot more to a design. Numbers manufacturers give you are general starting points. Everyone has a preference for sound, so why accept something generic?

Unknownrc
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Dont do that just yet..
What type of sound are you looking for? Music type? How much power will you be giving it? Theres a lot more to a design. Numbers manufacturers give you are general starting points. Everyone has a preference for sound, so why accept something generic?

Type of sound: Something that sounds good but still sounds loud (More geared towards spl)

Music type: Modern rap, Hip hop, and dubstep.

Power type: Im using a MTX TC60.1 which feeds my subwoofer 600 watt rms and 1800 watts rms max.

I hope this Helps!

Unknownrc
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I got some winisd graphs :) The only thing is that i dont know what they mean :( Hopefully someone can help me :)

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Here is the advice I can give you right now without doing anything with it. Knowing the type X, as far as port diameter goes, they seem to LOVE 500square cm of port area. The minimum area is just below that, so do not go below 500 and you will not have to worry about port noise as long as the length/width ration stays below 8:1. Some say 9:1, but 8:1 is more accurate. So, a port area of 14X5.5 would work very well for those drivers. Hope that helps.

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the help :) But now im confused. So the box needs 500sqcm (77.50 spin) of port area? and it needs a ratio of 8:1? I understand the port area part, but what does the ratio part mean? And does it have to be slot ported?

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the help :) But now im confused. So the box needs 500sqcm (77.50 spin) of port area? and it needs a ratio of 8:1? I understand the port area part, but what does the ratio part mean? And does it have to be slot ported?

With the right compression chamber area, yes, it would be optimal. 8:1 means if the height is 8" the width cannot be smaller than 1" and can be greater than 1" and up to 8x the height.......which means 1-64" and no greater than 64" either. The closer to 1:1 the better for simplicity. If you have a height of 16", then the port area(slot ported obviously is what we are referring to), then the width can be minimum of 2" and maximum of 128"(of course it will not be this big though). Now for an aeroport, it should be around 10" diameter port with a proper compression area as well. And yes, two 6" ports can be used as well if needed, as area does not equal volume, so length of the port will be determined afterwards.

jco1385
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
need m0ar powerz!!

i don't know **** about boxes. just wanted to congratulate you on going ported with this sub. many people will tell you to stay sealed.

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Now I under stand :) I will try to design a better box with this information :) Thanks again! Saved me some money on wood!

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
need m0ar powerz!!

i don't know **** about boxes. just wanted to congratulate you on going ported with this sub. many people will tell you to stay sealed
Lol Yea i know i need more power :) But since my car is very old, i dont think it can take a 1000+ watt amp :) Yea, sealed would sound clean but i like loudness with sq

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Awesome! Good luck. Post the results! :thumbupw:

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Will do :) Just one more question, does the box have to be 2 cubic feet, because with that big of a port, it displaces alot of volume, so im only getting 1 cubic foot. Also, with that big port, will it be very loud, (Shake everything)?

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
For compression, this has to be calculated with the length. So, I'm not sure about the compression area without having to do some calculations myself, which I really do not have time for yet (6 builds/2blueprints in progress). But as far as being loud......that will be up to you to decide really, because my "loud" may be much different than yours, but in general, yes it will do great for high output if everything else is figured properly.

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Lol! ok! I wish i could buy an enclosure plan from you, but i just dont have that much money :( But i think i got a plan ready! Here it is!

Moble Enclosurs
08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Lol! ok! I wish i could buy an enclosure plan from you, but i just dont have that much money :( But i think i got a plan ready! Here it is!

If this is for a single driver, it looks good :). Let us know how it sounds when completed!

Unknownrc
08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Lol Yea its a single driver :) Will post some pics of it being built! But most likely not this week :(