PDA

View Full Version : Why no new hu companies?

d77543020
08-11-2011, 01:49 AM
It seems every year there's a new company that comes out that make amps, subs, and speakers but when it comes to head units we have had the same bunch for years alpine, pioneer, clarion, kenwood jvc and sony so what gives

mast240
08-11-2011, 01:53 AM
there are cheap HU companies out there... and a new one pops up every couple years.... i think its more the direct interaction that you have with a HU, that keeps them from sticking around tho... even a noob can tell when a HU is a piece of ****

RAM_Designs
08-11-2011, 01:54 AM
I'd guess because it's easier to show what you can do with an amp and a sub. You can say "look what this can do", "check out these spl scores", "look at these bench tests", etc...whereas with a HU you just rely on features and subjective SQ to sell your product(and looks, to a point).

d77543020
08-11-2011, 01:55 AM
there are cheap HU companies out there... and a new one pops up every couple years.... i think its more the direct interaction that you have with a HU, that keeps them from sticking around tho... even a noob can tell when a HU is a piece of ****
yea there is alot of crap hu out there but i mean a new quality brand

trumpet
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Any idiot can hire out a Chinese build house, draw up a logo and box art, and put together their own brand of amps and subs. It would take a lot more money, planning, and R&D to introduce a new brand of head unit that can compete with the top tier companies. All of the top tier head unit manufacturers have had 3+ decades to get it right. They have been pioneers of car audio technological advances, surviving multiple format changes and trends that have come and gone.

zako
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Head units is a dying market. You're gonna see even less head units in future. These days cars come with decent stereos with ipod and bluetooth phone support. Moreover, those stereos are often merged together with car's computer, navi, etc. There is just no way to replace the head unit in many new cars. And there is a little reason actually. What's going to grow is the market for factory stereo integration equipment.

i2ain2thunder
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Head units is a dying market. You're gonna see even less head units in future. These days cars come with decent stereos with ipod and bluetooth phone support. Moreover, those stereos are often merged together with car's computer, navi, etc. There is just no way to replace the head unit in many new cars. And there is a little reason actually. What's going to grow is the market for factory stereo integration equipment.

I disagree.

matt_bennett05
08-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Headunits make or break an entire system, IMO.

Sleeklsc
08-12-2011, 09:39 PM
The last big brand that did it was fosgate iirc..Never heard them but they were ugly as fu ck. Kicker has the money to try it. They prob have their reasons for not doing it though.

RAM_Designs
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
You mean the Denford units? They were supper sessy.

http://www.12velectronics.com/images/scope4.gif

Matt Brua
08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I am anxiously waiting on the PPI units that are due out this fall. They seem to have everything im looking for on paper but the UI is gonna make or break it. And price is a major factor in my book.

thegreatestpenn
08-17-2011, 09:01 PM
There's no money in aftermarket HUs, ask any car audio dealer.