PDA

View Full Version : tapped horns

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 11:19 AM
how hard is it to build them correctly and what kind of range do they have?

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
dawg its as easy as any other box, but your cuts have to be exact size and angle for it to sound best. Depends on the horn but usually the idea behind them is to produce increased output at the fullest range possible. Some designs have a little trouble hitting the low low lows say down to 25 and below hz. The design I like the best is Decware's wicked one, because it's kept smaller yet has really good increased output at almost every frequency. Its just basically 2 sealed chambers and then 2 tappered horns with a shared mouth. I will say this though that design is made for smaller subs if you put a couple bigger higher powered subs in there you use up a good amount of the sealed chamber so you might want to look into moving the baffle to allow for more airspace in the sealed chambers.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2e6a104.jpg
i was thinking something like this its obviously not to scale becuase i havent done any real research on it yet so im not sure how big it would have to be for 4 12's.

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Um I hope you have a bigger SUV for a full sized horn for 4 12s....yeesh I'm thinking at least 15ft cu especially with that much of a horn length thats pretty nuts man looking like a radiator. Sure would sound good though.

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
If you wanna cut use up less space maybe think about having the horns flare into the same mouth.

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Maybe start with the subs at the outsides of the box and tapper the flares toward the middle and have them intersect at the mouth.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
im working up another idea maybe using only three 12's

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I say spend a good amount of time thinking about how much room you have and how much seal chamber volume you want and then what you have left see what kind of flares you can fit. That will start to tell you how many subs you should run..3 12s in a horn would be nuts man very very loud. But I think 3 12s is approx same surface area as 2 15s, and some horns that are made for 2 15s are just straight large man. like the size of a refrigerator.

wenn_du_weinst
08-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Um I hope you have a bigger SUV for a full sized horn for 4 12s....yeesh I'm thinking at least 15ft cu especially with that much of a horn length thats pretty nuts man looking like a radiator. Sure would sound good though.
15ft for 1 maybe and thats 1/4 wave not even a true horn

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design (http://www.quarter-wave.com/)

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
this is a long term project im still not sure im going to do a tapped horn. just weighing options. just as much of a chance that ill go sealed.

ramos
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM

A true horn for 4 -12's would require a semi trailer or school bus. It would definately be freaking impressive though lol :)

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Right a true horn is massive man, but there have been many designs scaled down to something that will fit in a vehicle, but like I said even scaled down if you want a horn for 3 12s its gonna be big man. Like I said you can save space by sharing the mouth instead of having 2 or 3 separate ones.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 03:28 PM
well i dont have that much space i guess ill move on to the next idea lol maybe ill just do a sealed enclosure then all i have to worry about is volume. then again do have these little 220 rms sharp 6'' mid bass drivers i could still play with for home audio are tapped horns horrible for music or home theater?

ramos
08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Plans (http://www.decware.com/newsite/diy/decware/Plans.html)

A couple different sets of plans for free there. You could always scale the wicked one down and play with it. It's a mean monster :)

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
is it any good for home theaters you think??

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Thats what it was made for, people just put them in vehicles.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
the two 6" drivers came in a ported enclosure with a passive radiator think it would be any better than that?

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
It is actually made for clamshell loading 4 drivers, but I don't recommend it unless you have crappy subs. Clamshelling and reversing polarity can reduce distortion however it also reduces output and just generally isn't a good idea if you have decent subs. Let those puppies fly solo.

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
the two 6" drivers came in a ported enclosure with a passive radiator think it would be any better than that?

depends passive radiators can sound really nice I haven't had much experience with them because they are very finiky and hard to make work well, but I hear they kick butt. I really don't know what to recommend ya.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 04:00 PM
something to think about i guess

ramos
08-10-2011, 04:12 PM

ridulously well.

scaled mine down for a pair of cheap pa 8's and use it as a home theater sub. :)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/1a9de004.jpg

surreal
08-10-2011, 04:14 PM
A tapped horn isnt practical in car. And very few people here will really know what one is.

Thats why you dont see them.. there are some like the autotuba but they rely on loading and are still rather large.
You dont need a full blown tapped horn to get better efficiency.

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Agreed, you just don't have room for a full horn in a vehicle. I would still take an untrue horn if it's designed well over any ported/sealed enclosure. However they are so tricky to make right especially when scaling down to use in a vehicle. Thats the reason I only really try to build the Decware ones, that guy knows how to build audio gear. You really have to know what you're doing, I could never design one myself to fit in a vehicle that would sound good, better off stealing designs from serious audiophiles.

optimusprime
08-10-2011, 04:51 PM
good call seems prettty cheap to make i might have a hard time scaling it properly for the 6s though

i2ain2thunder
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Haha me and a buddy scaled one for some 6.5inch drivers like 5 years ago, they sounded really good...but not very practical. I wish I still had the specs for ya.

surreal
08-13-2011, 05:45 AM
No need to scale an enclosure that wasnt designed for your woofer.

If you want good performance, get a proper enclosure design such as myself or mobile to do it for you. I strongly suggest it as it is a waste to spend so much money and time on a system only to throw it in a mediocre box.

Nut Hair Trick
09-13-2011, 10:37 AM
ridulously well.

scaled mine down for a pair of cheap pa 8's and use it as a home theater sub. :)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/moyerme/1a9de004.jpg
Ok, I know this probably seems like it's coming from left field, but given your picture, could you mount 8's on the 2 baffles as shown in the below pic?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/fullyinvolved/1a9de004.jpg
The reason why I ask is, I was told a while back by someone very reputable with the same car as mine, that I should do a clamshell setup with my 2 8's and port in the middle of the clamshell and fire it through my ski hole. I know this design is for a dual band pass horn, and I've read over the plans for this design and understand them perfectly. But to be honest, this design is almost identical to what I came up with for the clamshell/ port middle design. I'm really thorough with everything I do, I've been given advice by others, had Pete and others design me an enclosure, but, I just want to narrow everything down to which direction I want to go with my build.