PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sub and port facing on box

myjaja
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Im planning on getting a box custom made from a guy that I know. Im going to use 2 hdc3 12's in a box somewhat to 5 cu.ft for the set. I know for sure the subs will be too far back and will hit the trunk if i face them towards the rear. So im going to face them towards the cabin of my 96 honda accord coupe. But my question is, should I have the subs and port both facing off inside the cabin and sealing off the trunk or subs facing cabin, but port facing the side with it still being sealed off. any ideas? thanks

26526392 << sorry for the crappy drawing.. lol

ttaylor0024
08-06-2011, 11:21 PM
As long as there isnt anything directly in front of the port in the trunk, I would do that. Either one should work though

mast240
08-06-2011, 11:23 PM
if your box is so deep, that it will make the subs hit the trunk, i wouldnt make the port rear facing... putting a port that close to the trunk will cause air flow issues... side ports are ok, but kinda hard to seal properly, the way your talking.... for the easiest, and most likely best sounding, set up... i would go with a front facing port, and seal it from the trunk

myjaja
08-06-2011, 11:56 PM
if your box is so deep, that it will make the subs hit the trunk, i wouldnt make the port rear facing... putting a port that close to the trunk will cause air flow issues... side ports are ok, but kinda hard to seal properly, the way your talking.... for the easiest, and most likely best sounding, set up... i would go with a front facing port, and seal it from the trunk

I tried a box, thats about the same size as the one im getting built with the sub and port facing the same side. I tried it in my car and I had it facing towards the rear, and it was like 3-4 inches away from the trunk. I think that will be too close and wont really sound right.

Also, in my thread, i meant the port going to the side, not going to the back. Sorry for the confusion.

mast240
08-07-2011, 12:01 AM
yea, i saw what you were saying... side porting in a trunk can be a tricky thing... especially if your trying to seal it off from the rest of the trunk... thats the main reason i would recommend a front port

myjaja
08-07-2011, 12:33 AM
yea, i saw what you were saying... side porting in a trunk can be a tricky thing... especially if your trying to seal it off from the rest of the trunk... thats the main reason i would recommend a front port

I just want it in a position for best sound wise with loudness. Also, if its a bit tricky, ill take your word for it. thanks ;)

mast240
08-07-2011, 12:49 AM
side porting can be a tricky thing to be done properly... but it can be done... but the biggest reason i say front porting, is you wanting to seal the port off from the rest of the trunk... which would make the side port VERY tricky.

myjaja
08-07-2011, 12:53 AM
side porting can be a tricky thing to be done properly... but it can be done... but the biggest reason i say front porting, is you wanting to seal the port off from the rest of the trunk... which would make the side port VERY tricky.

If I dont need to seal it off while using the side ported box, then I wont seal it. Im just trying to get the best ideas to get the best sound without the testing. lol

mast240
08-07-2011, 12:58 AM
If I dont need to seal it off while using the side ported box, then I wont seal it. Im just trying to get the best ideas to get the best sound without the testing. lol

lol... o ok... i saw the seal line on the side port photo... thats why i assumed that. but to give you a completely honest answer... its really hard to say which will sound best without testing, you know. every single car is different... hence the testing. but, like i said, a front port would be simpler to do, which in turn will make your error margin larger, and in turn will most likely sound better... without testing

Moble Enclosurs
08-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Without knowing how to control phase issues with side ports, I would also recommend port and drivers facing the same direction. This is the easiest type of placement, without actually calculating for response changes with the other types of setups.

myjaja
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Without knowing how to control phase issues with side ports, I would also recommend port and drivers facing the same direction. This is the easiest type of placement, without actually calculating for response changes with the other types of setups.

Oh okay, thanks for the help. I have one more question for ya'll though. Would it still be fine if the box is like a foot inside facing the cabin and still sealed off from the trunk? I cant really fit it all the way inside because of how it dips in on the sides inside of the trunk. Or would it be better off if its all the way to the front and completely leveled off to the opening where the seat is?

mast240
08-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh okay, thanks for the help. I have one more question for ya'll though. Would it still be fine if the box is like a foot inside facing the cabin and still sealed off from the trunk? I cant really fit it all the way inside because of how it dips in on the sides inside of the trunk. Or would it be better off if its all the way to the front and completely leveled off to the opening where the seat is?

the main question with that is, how are you actually going to seal it from the trunk? not getting it properly sealed could actually make it sound worse then if it wasnt seal at all

myjaja
08-07-2011, 10:42 PM
the main question with that is, how are you actually going to seal it from the trunk? not getting it properly sealed could actually make it sound worse then if it wasnt seal at all

I see your point... i was gonna add pieces of wood around the front of the box and maybe fill in the little tiny places where air can go through with dynamat. But ill try to fill all the gaps as possible with wood.

mast240
08-07-2011, 10:52 PM
expanding foam is your best friend, when trying to completely seal something brother... as long as you do actually get it completely sealed, i dont see any problems with having it back a lil bit from the rear deck

myjaja
08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
expanding foam is your best friend, when trying to completely seal something brother... as long as you do actually get it completely sealed, i dont see any problems with having it back a lil bit from the rear deck

ah ok, thanks for all the help :D