PDA

View Full Version : Weird Enclosure Idea

PioneerZX2
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Okay so ive got a 12" sub in a sealed enclosure. It bumps pretty good but was thnking it could do better. My trunk is not sealed with dynamat or anything and dont really want to spend the money to do that . So i was thinking of building an enclosure around my sealed enclosure and venting it into the car.

I figured itd sound louder bc itll have less air to pressurize and the sound will be focused forward rather than outward.

My only concern is getting a bandpass sort of sound, id rather have SQ than volume. Any thoughts as to whether itll have a significant effect one way or another?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/3rdGenScort/Enclosure-1.jpg

mast240
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
you would basicly be building a 4th order bandpass... but doing it that way, it will be almost impossible to tune properly, and will end up sounding like ****

pimpnyou204
08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I think your best bet would be to just do a wall with it and not try and encase it

mast240
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
why would he do a wall, in his trunk?

OP... fyi, it would be alot easier (and better sounding) to just build a properly tuned ported enclosure

PioneerZX2
08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
The way i look at it the trunk is its own psudo-enclosure, if i make said closure smasller and selaed but not too small ill retain most of my sq and gain some vlume in the process. What would just a wall do for me?

mast240
08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
for a proper "wall" you would be deleting your back seats...

the trunk really isnt a "psudo-enclosure" ... not at all. doing a set up like your describing (pretty much a 4th order), wouldnt help your sq... you would have a huge peak in tuning, and a flat line everywhere else... basiclly, your subs will only "hit" at a certain frequency.... making it more of an spl set up. trust me, building yourself a properly tuned, ported enclosure will yield FAR better results than said set up

PioneerZX2
08-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Okay thats what i was afraid of. so the effect of dynamat is different how?

mast240
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
dynomat ( or we'll just say deadner.... cuz dynomat is crap IMO) is used for a few different things... it doesnt "seal" your trunk, as many dumb people will tell you. it helps with vehicle resonance... pretty much will help sound waves compress properly, and stops alot of rattles

PioneerZX2
08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Okay that makes sense, the sealing definition is what sparked this idea thanks for the info