PDA

View Full Version : Can u wire speakers to 2 ohms?

EvilknievalPSA
02-22-2004, 10:06 PM
I plan on buying 2 pairs of tweeters ( 4 total) and i want to wire them into two ohms b/c of their power handling ( 150 rms ) is there anyway you can wire the tweeters to give it a 2 ohm load into a 4 channel amp. i think it would be a 4 channel amp if its 2 pairs of tweeters right? just the tweeters no woofers none of that just the highs.
Thx guys

Pete
02-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Asside from wondering why in sams hill anyone would want four tweeters at 2 ohms with no midbass..... here we go:

If the tweeters are 4 ohm each then wire two in parallel and run them on 2 channels of the amp.
1/4+1/4=2/4 inverse 4/2=2 ohms thats how you figure parallel impedence based on two resistances 1/R1+1/R2=1/Rtotal

That answer the question?

-Pete

helotaxi
02-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Asside from wondering why in sams hill anyone would want four tweeters at 2 ohms with no midbass
I've learned not to ask because the answer too often is painful.

Pete
02-22-2004, 10:47 PM
heh... I'll learn that lesson as soon as I can prove it on paper.
I'm one of the few that actually likes mathamatical proofs but have too short of an attention span to finish them...

Waaaaaay off topic sorry.

EvilknievalPSA
02-23-2004, 07:18 AM
can i also add that i **** at math?...i dont care much for midbass just subbass and highs. right now i just set my amp to highpass only with my alpine type r speakers so i can get louder highs without that nasty bass from the 6 1/2's coming out.

antler skills
02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
If you basically ignore the 100-3500 Hz midbass range you are going to have a fairly huge hole in your system. This is where the vast majority of your music comes from, tweeters and subwoofers round out the sound. You really do want midbasses. And 4 tweeters is going to confuse your soundstage quite a bit unless you've got a huge car and are putting two at the very front and two at the very back for rear passengers.

ngsm13
02-23-2004, 10:31 AM
...i dont care much for midbass just subbass and highs.

ignorance is bliss...i guess to each his own. it'll sound like **** to any1 else. peace

NG

EvilknievalPSA
02-23-2004, 02:09 PM
well i was thinking of the tweeters or just getting 2 of the type r components just so it look nice with my alpine hu and type r subs. is there any way to wire em to two ohms? even though why would i if their 50 rms

DJ FURY
02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Man ur asking one strange question.Get a component set and wire it like a normal person.ive never in my life heard of someone just having tweeters in their car with no midbass.