PDA

View Full Version : band pass vs ported

05trailblazer
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
ive had a band pass box before but it was refub which is better?? by that which would be louder and have deeper and precise bass

surreal
08-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Depends what type of bandpass. In general, they have potential for good sound quality and can be louder than ported when designed for a small bandwidth.

Youre kindof shooting yourself in the foot there with "louder" and "cleaner". You cant have everything in life, so you need to compromise somewhere. Ultimately, youll need to determine which is more important. And at that point, without other things considered, one still cant accurately reccomend which enclosure would be best.

RAM_Designs
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
What sub are you running? That will be a pretty easy determinant as to whether or not you'll want to run ported or 4th order bandpass with it.

05trailblazer
08-02-2011, 02:22 AM
True that i'd go with more spl no doubt about that

depends what type of bandpass. In general, they have potential for good sound quality and can be louder than ported when designed for a small bandwidth.

Youre kindof shooting yourself in the foot there with "louder" and "cleaner". You cant have everything in life, so you need to compromise somewhere. Ultimately, youll need to determine which is more important. And at that point, without other things considered, one still cant accurately reccomend which enclosure would be best.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Im currently running two premiers subs 1000rms a piece

what sub are you running? That will be a pretty easy determinant as to whether or not you'll want to run ported or 4th order bandpass with it.

surreal
08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Understood, you are willing to give up the ability to play some music, or perhaps some low end extension in order to be louder within a smaller bandwidth.

And we need to know exactly which subs you are running. They have certain specs that describe the woofers and from these we can get a general idea of what enclosure types the woofers are most at home in.

waterstone
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm also trying too know wich one is better, I have used winisd pro wich told me ported and winisd beta wich told me bandpass. When I say told me, I mean when I look the graph, I prefer one or the other.

My sub is a tidal audio that as the same specs as the image dynamics id12 d2 v3 and it as an EBP (fs/qes) of 50.49.

Wich box do you think would be better for higher spl on low notes.

05trailblazer
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
they're the ts-3004D4 pioneer premiers championship pro series

Understood, you are willing to give up the ability to play some music, or perhaps some low end extension in order to be louder within a smaller bandwidth.

And we need to know exactly which subs you are running. They have certain specs that describe the woofers and from these we can get a general idea of what enclosure types the woofers are most at home in.

05trailblazer
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
i'd say stick with ported no doubt. i think even doin a bandpass enclosure would require more time as well.

I'm also trying too know wich one is better, I have used winisd pro wich told me ported and winisd beta wich told me bandpass. When I say told me, I mean when I look the graph, I prefer one or the other.

My sub is a tidal audio that as the same specs as the image dynamics id12 d2 v3 and it as an EBP (fs/qes) of 50.49.

Wich box do you think would be better for higher spl on low notes.

i2ain2thunder
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh you can have louder and cleaner DECWARE's Wicked-One Horn Subwoofer (http://www.decware.com/whorn.htm) :naughty:

Moble Enclosurs
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh you can have louder and cleaner DECWARE's Wicked-One Horn Subwoofer (http://www.decware.com/whorn.htm) :naughty:

True. But to an extent. Those that are aware of the limitations know about the three factors. Others chime in and add to this if you like, because it can be said many different ways.

You have three physical factors that allow you to get performance from a driver/box combination. They are: Loud, Low, Small.

Due to natural physics, you have to compromise from those three factors, and only two of those are efficiently used. For instance, If I want a response that is loud and goes really low, I am going to need to accommidate some space for the LF response and added efficiency. If I want a good SQ design with limited space, that goes low, the efficiency will decrease and output relatively as well. And if I want a box that gets really loud, but I only have so much space to use, it is likely the cutoff will need to be higher than normally figured for in most setups, but this type of setup may surprise you still in the low end due to cabin gain.

So, yes, you can get louder and cleaner, but compromises, as Surreal mentioned, will be obvious. With the right design for an SQL type of setup, which is most common now days for those reasons, you can get a great balance of each factor and likely be impressed even though each one will have limitations.