PDA

View Full Version : Latest box design 4 SA-8s

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
4 cuft after all displacements tuned to 32 hz the corners will have d3100s in them that is a saz3kd pictured in the middle drawn to specs will have plexi over the front if I can find someone to cut/engrave it.. Will have 4-8 fans to keep the amp cool as it will be behind the rear seats in a truck with limited air flow

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/KyleAndrewBechtold/Finalboxdesign.jpg

it will be 10" at the base and top but they will be offset an 1" so over the distance there will be a SLIGHT slant.. 2.2 degrees to be exact

any comments or ideas are appreciated...

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
not bad. is it gonna take up all the room behind that backseat of your in that truck?

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 07:58 PM
not bad. is it gonna take up all the room behind that backseat of your in that truck?

ya its 61" wide it will go right up to the bottom of the back window.. Once I get used to driving this truck enough I may eventually do a wall

BlactimusCrime
07-30-2011, 08:00 PM
looks like it should be nasty

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 08:02 PM
looks like it should be nasty

I hope so.. if not I will do a box similar to this but cut out the middle seat resew the back seat like it was never there and mount an 18 in the middle ported up..

BlactimusCrime
07-30-2011, 08:04 PM
i was doing 138.9 with 4 SA-8s in 3cubes @34hz on ~2500rms out of the trunk of a town car, we swapped my settup into nateberriers fit, and it made the entire sides of the car flex lol

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
i was doing 138.9 with 4 SA-8s in 3cubes @34hz on ~2500rms out of the trunk of a town car, we swapped my settup into nateberriers fit, and it made the entire sides of the car flex lol

sounds like the OP will be pleased. definitely will be better than those pioneer shallows

BlactimusCrime
07-30-2011, 08:09 PM
sounds like the OP will be pleased. definitely will be better than those pioneer shallows

i think he will be as long as the subs have enough air and port area, the only reason i got rid of mine was bc i wanted a 18 lol

Oh shiiii, he has plenty of air and power lol

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
i think he will be as long as the subs have enough air and port area, the only reason i got rid of mine was bc i wanted a 18 lol

Oh shiiii, he has plenty of air and power lol

lots of powah for them 8's.

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 08:18 PM
nah pioneer shallows be slamming yo!! I put em on the saz3kd and they wanted more.. lol!! they are the next boner.. no but for real they came with the truck. I had an 18 BTL in my car tuned to 30hz.. MMM that thing made love to my ears.. the pioneers I am giving back to the guy I bought the truck from as he bought a new tundra and I told him I didn't need em so I am giving him back the whole system minus h/u and wire fo freez

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
nah pioneer shallows be slamming yo!! I put em on the saz3kd and they wanted more.. lol!! they are the next boner.. no but for real they came with the truck. I had an 18 BTL in my car tuned to 30hz.. MMM that thing made love to my ears.. the pioneers I am giving back to the guy I bought the truck from as he bought a new tundra and I told him I didn't need em so I am giving him back the whole system minus h/u and wire fo freez

well aren't you just the outstanding citizen??? bet them shallows were louder than that BTL.

surreal
07-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Port is on the wrong side, and most likely the box you have there will give you a very heavy low end if thats what youre after.

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 08:34 PM
well aren't you just the outstanding citizen??? bet them shallows were louder than that BTL.

You know they were.. I am afraid to comp them cause then you know errybody wood want em.. lol

Port is on the wrong side, and most likely the box you have there will give you a very heavy low end if thats what youre after.

I thought port drivers side when doing trucks? although that is side firing.. why would I want to port passengers side? and while I want a nice low end I want it to come up the range a little bit.. I usually cut it off at 70hz at MAX so what would your recommendation be? tune to 35hz? or? any help is appreciated man!!

BlactimusCrime
07-30-2011, 08:37 PM
You know they were.. I am afraid to comp them cause then you know errybody wood want em.. lol

I thought port drivers side when doing trucks? although that is side firing.. why would I want to port passengers side? and while I want a nice low end I want it to come up the range a little bit.. I usually cut it off at 70hz at MAX so what would your recommendation be? tune to 35hz? or? any help is appreciated man!!

I had mine 34-35hz and they extended into the high 20s and up into the 50s-60s very well

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 08:38 PM

trade for my solo x and cash???? :D

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I had mine 34-35hz and they extended into the high 20s and up into the 50s-60s very well

alright I will look at that and recalculate box size..

trade for my solo x and cash???? :D
man it would have to be a lot of cash.. Only reason I am changing setups is to get a less powerful one.. Doctor said if I continue at this pace I will be deaf by the years end.. Even at volume 1 they are louder than a btl at full tilt

lol

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
man it would have to be a lot of cash.. Only reason I am changing setups is to get a less powerful one.. Doctor said if I continue at this pace I will be deaf by the years end.. Even at volume 1 they are louder than a btl at full tilt

lol

those silly doctors. bet if you turned them pioneers up to about 7 on the deck you will blow your tailgate off... and idk if i have that much cash to trade. what if i offered one of my kids??

surreal
07-30-2011, 08:56 PM
It wont be tuning so much as chamber volume and cabin gain thatll change your upper end here. You have the subs up which is good, port should be drivers side for best gain (always in a corner!)

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
those silly doctors. bet if you turned them pioneers up to about 7 on the deck you will blow your tailgate off... and idk if i have that much cash to trade. what if i offered one of my kids??

They like peanut butter? Lmao

It wont be tuning so much as chamber volume and cabin gain thatll change your upper end here. You have the subs up which is good, port should be drivers side for best gain (always in a corner!)

port is drivers side and in a corner? So are you saying that 4 cubes with a 34-35hz tuning would not have a good range

sacsking916
07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
They like peanut butter? Lmao

absolutely

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

will trade both if i can get your SPL sealed box :D

surreal
07-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Sorry - had to leave quickly as I replied. Just trust me, you want the port on the passenger side. If not, you can always flip it. But I bet my bottom dollar itll be better over there for you.

And a cube per SA-8 is freaking gigantic. They have a VAS of practically nothing and low Q.. if youre looking for a good low end peak, the .5-.6 is good. If youre looking for a smooth response to work well with your cabin and still have good extension, then .4 or so per will work best.

Edit - just verified this. 1.6 for all 4 @ 35hz give a perfectly flat response and a smooth rolloff. Will work well in cabin with gain as you have the best configuration setup. Not to mention this should sound more pleasing to the ear than the larger boomier enclosure, unless that is your preference.

KyleBechtold
07-30-2011, 11:47 PM

Sorry - had to leave quickly as I replied. Just trust me, you want the port on the passenger side. If not, you can always flip it. But I bet my bottom dollar itll be better over there for you.

And a cube per SA-8 is freaking gigantic. They have a VAS of practically nothing and low Q.. if youre looking for a good low end peak, the .5-.6 is good. If youre looking for a smooth response to work well with your cabin and still have good extension, then .4 or so per will work best.

Edit - just verified this. 1.6 for all 4 @ 35hz give a perfectly flat response and a smooth rolloff. Will work well in cabin with gain as you have the best configuration setup. Not to mention this should sound more pleasing to the ear than the larger boomier enclosure, unless that is your preference.

so you are sure on the port lol..

flat response and smooth rolloff are nice but would it still get loud? This isn't for SQ but if it can still sound good while getting loud that would be great.. looking to do 140+ in the LOW 30s

surreal
07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Then you may build it bigger for a peak at the low end.. but youll lose some perceived upper end in trade off. May end up with one of those "one note wonder" type daily systems, which is a personal pet peeve of mine but everyone has a preference.

Moble Enclosurs
07-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I have to add this......the positioning of the drivers is just as important as the positioning of the port, considering the port will likely have more lowend extension for the total reponse and the driver, being exposed to the environment, will make up the high end extension from front wave propagation. That being said, without determining the actual gain of that vehicle, one cannot determine the optimum positioning when both driver and port contribute to the response. Now, also it has to be pointed out that low frequency resonance will have less directive sound within a vehicle, especially if the port allows for extended time interval of the operating frequencies. In other words, though I would have to see the interior of the enclosure to determine this, the resonances that exist there will likely cause an omnidirectional sound near tuning. And though cabin gain will always control the response outside the enclosure, with these existing resonances along with the drivers being installed across the enclosure to the passenger side, I would not believe port position will have as much issue as you may believe i n this design. Now, if the box does not exhibit resonances beyond 3rd harmonics or so with sufficient output, and the drivers were located in a different position thaton the same plane as the port along with having less drivers used, then placement would be more of a concern. But without knowing the exact cabin gain, and combined response from both driver and port positions, you cannot determine the importance of the response chgnges.

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 12:01 AM
well how high are you talking for upper end?

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I would have to say that in this design due to the driver placement and the amount being used alone, that port placement is less sensitive than needs to be considered, but not that it isn't a variable that can be figured or not that is isn't important, but not so much that it is a major factor of resonance change as oone would think.

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
well how high are you talking for upper end?

Depends on the drivers free air resonance even though it is loaded. Higher frequencies in the enclosure from the port are not as big a factor because the port and compression causes those frequencies to dissipate further than -60dB well before having a major effect on the overal output, so front wave propagation from higher frequencies are more contributed to the listening position from the drivers cone especially if the driver directly faces the listener. This is why walls have good frequency range, not because of the build, or ports, but from driver output alone. But here is something that will help to figure how high frequencies will make a difference in the response compared to the lower ones from 60 or 80 and below. Take the simple wave propagation formula that most designers use now days, and make sure the longest length of the vehicle is in feet not inches. Then take 1127/length. This is the longest high bass frequency that will cause resonances loud enough to affect the response of the enclosure. So, if you had 5.5 ft as the longest length, then 205Hz would be the highest bass frequency that will make a difference from the driver as long as the drivers free air resonance, with minimal distortion by the way as that is a factor when drivers response is measured, extends further than that. If not, then take 205/2. It will be 102.5Hz that will be affected. So if the driver has a range of 32-125Hz, at 102.5Hz watch for resonances from direct driver placement. The drivers contribution to the response has to be considered, not just port resonances.

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
This is one of the reasons people can tune so low in a wall configuration and still get good response curves. Pretty smart if you ask me, to go wall that is.

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Also, since the wall decrease cabin volume, resonances increase and frequency range increases. Ever heard a a bass reflex have a major peak in a car but when you put your head closer to it, the response gets smoother? That is all why. Make the cabin as small as possible and it'll be like having your head inside a box, where every frequency is excited. :) smart trick

surreal
07-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Kyle, Ill put it simply - give it a shot with the port on both sides. Come back, and let us know what you find. Passenger side if not the loudest is the safest bet. Look up room mode resonances for certain frequencies and take a peak at where the higher spl groups.

basscort2009
07-31-2011, 01:44 AM
i had my rockford he2 8s in 3 cubes for all 3 on 1200 rms and they didnt like **** a big box with that much power. u said 4 cubes for 4 sa-8s? thats a cube each like mine. id try to shrink that down to .5-.7 each for a 3k amp. especially a sundown 3k man.

kushy_dreams
07-31-2011, 02:09 AM
I have heard a lot of people advising not going over .8cu/ft with sa8s or you risk mechanical damage

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 02:47 AM
They have this stuff on the internet now? Uhhhh. To think, I busted my rump to learn this hands on all these years,lol. That's awesome though! Now, going back to what surreal said, passenger port placement is recommended for this reason, that exists in many vehicle transfer functions, not just modes of operation. In a lot of design I have calculated vehicle gain for, I have noticed it is likely more frequency dependant rather than frequency range dependant when figuring for gain. Here is why....you may find, if calculated correctly, that just below the bandwidth resonance of each exicted frequency, usually from half wavelength, not quarter wave in my experience, exists a dip or a null. This is why when figuring for frequency response, people tune low, because at that resonance is a higher gai before the null, and then the transfer function kicks in at a certain increasing rate until box response dissipates below the cutoof point, in which room gain cannot flatten due to the increased response loss slope passing the common -24dB point. So, by tuning low, you get gain all the way down to below subsonic efficiently and also get the halfwave resonance to match the boxes anechonic resonance of the port for a very high increased output at that given frequency and below. So, the point is, though room gain increases dramatically as frequency decreases, there is a point where it does not help much for output anymore. So, you have to balance the box response with that gain in orrder to see a full range LF response. Now, with passenger side placement, this helps that gain to increase starting at lower frequencies rather than higher frequencies, and all of this (this is the most important part) is room dependant and resides in the actual dimensions rather than a general rule of thumb. So, if you said you are looking for that high spl output in the 30s, then making sure the path between the port and driver, to the listener is greater as to get that halfwave mode to exicte in the 30s range around the ports resonance because this is where the gain will contribute the most, until (depending on the vehicle) it might drop then pick up again, but not as great variation or as quick from one resonance to another as higher frequencies do.
So basically, room gain not a general rule for placement purposes as they don't just dissappear, but can help when figuring for more precise frequency exictation along with the fact that it is different for each vehicle. A lot of people will say that it is too much work or that it is to dofficut to get right, but that is not true if you consider all the variables involved and in your case, we do not know any of them yet. But I will agree with surreal that for lower frequency gain, the furthest distance is recommended for a specific frequency increase. But for response increase, it really depends on more than what we know right now to conclude that exactly. If you want to share your vehicle dimensions, that will help a lot. We can figure for more precise placement configuration for you vehicle.

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 02:58 AM
I sketched it up with port passenger side its still a bigger box as I started before I saw to make it small.. this box is 4.06 after port before bracing or 45s so I figure some 2x4s in there should help since its so long.. if that doesn't help I can raise the floor so I can do both batteries on one side and my jack and equip on the other..

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/KyleAndrewBechtold/portswap.jpg

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 03:02 AM
They have this stuff on the internet now? Uhhhh. To think, I busted my rump to learn this hands on all these years,lol. That's awesome though! Now, going back to what surreal said, passenger port placement is recommended for this reason, that exists in many vehicle transfer functions, not just modes of operation. In a lot of design I have calculated vehicle gain for, I have noticed it is likely more frequency dependant rather than frequency range dependant when figuring for gain. Here is why....you may find, if calculated correctly, that just below the bandwidth resonance of each exicted frequency, usually from half wavelength, not quarter wave in my experience, exists a dip or a null. This is why when figuring for frequency response, people tune low, because at that resonance is a higher gai before the null, and then the transfer function kicks in at a certain increasing rate until box response dissipates below the cutoof point, in which room gain cannot flatten due to the increased response loss slope passing the common -24dB point. So, by tuning low, you get gain all the way down to below subsonic efficiently and also get the halfwave resonance to match the boxes anechonic resonance of the port for a very high increased output at that given frequency and below. So, the point is, though room gain increases dramatically as frequency decreases, there is a point where it does not help much for output anymore. So, you have to balance the box response with that gain in orrder to see a full range LF response. Now, with passenger side placement, this helps that gain to increase starting at lower frequencies rather than higher frequencies, and all of this (this is the most important part) is room dependant and resides in the actual dimensions rather than a general rule of thumb. So, if you said you are looking for that high spl output in the 30s, then making sure the path between the port and driver, to the listener is greater as to get that halfwave mode to exicte in the 30s range around the ports resonance because this is where the gain will contribute the most, until (depending on the vehicle) it might drop then pick up again, but not as great variation or as quick from one resonance to another as higher frequencies do.
So basically, room gain not a general rule for placement purposes as they don't just dissappear, but can help when figuring for more precise frequency exictation along with the fact that it is different for each vehicle. A lot of people will say that it is too much work or that it is to dofficut to get right, but that is not true if you consider all the variables involved and in your case, we do not know any of them yet. But I will agree with surreal that for lower frequency gain, the furthest distance is recommended for a specific frequency increase. But for response increase, it really depends on more than what we know right now to conclude that exactly. If you want to share your vehicle dimensions, that will help a lot. We can figure for more precise placement configuration for you vehicle.

vehicle dimensions with an estimated box in there or just vehicle dimensions

Moble Enclosurs
Awesome! Looks nice man. Let us know how it sounds!

basscort2009
tea 4 cubes is gonna make those subs bottom out alot man. try 3 cubes after all displacements. plain and simple, not gonna give you a 3 paragraph novel post to read, 3 cubes tuned to low to mid 30s and you will be fine. are you going to any SQ shows? how bout spl shows?

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:04 AM
vehicle dimensions with an estimated box in there or just vehicle dimensions

Just vehicle dimensions. Displacement can be figured for on my part, but get box dimensions interior and exterior as well for other information. Have you not figured for a response, and just built this to fit or for appeal?

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 03:08 AM
tea 4 cubes is gonna make those subs bottom out alot man. try 3 cubes after all displacements. plain and simple, not gonna give you a 3 paragraph novel post to read, 3 cubes tuned to low to mid 30s and you will be fine. are you going to any SQ shows? how bout spl shows?

I posted with that picture that I made it a 4.06 before seeing the recs for a smaller box.. The easiest way would be to raise the floor and recalculate the port inch by inch until I get the size needed..

No I don't go to shows minus to watch every once and a blue moon.. I do it for my own enjoyment.. I am planning 34-35 and can build a port extender if necessary..

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Hey, that novel is going to help people. There is a lot more information to be known that this about proper audio, so be glad I'm sharing it.

basscort2009
07-31-2011, 03:11 AM
I posted with that picture that I made it a 4.06 before seeing the recs for a smaller box.. The easiest way would be to raise the floor and recalculate the port inch by inch until I get the size needed..

No I don't go to shows minus to watch every once and a blue moon.. I do it for my own enjoyment.. I am planning 34-35 and can build a port extender if necessary..

my point to plain and simple. i like that moblenclosurs is giving complex advise but i dont think its needed unless super serious about sq or spl. other wise build simple and it will sound good. otherwise ur gonna pay a **** ton for designs and builders to get it right for you. and yea 4.06 but after all displacments thats still like 3.5 cubes or so. too big bro

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Just vehicle dimensions. Displacement can be figured for on my part, but get box dimensions interior and exterior as well for other information. Have you not figured for a response, and just built this to fit or for appeal?

This is my first box so I had no Idea what I was doing.. Had atleast 2 threads asking for opinions/help offered to buy designs etc so I said f it and measured it out and started figuring out tuning... I have heard any where from .4-1 cuft so I just aimed for the biggest I could so I could cut it down if needed.. I know how to tune a ported box and some woofer/port placement techniques for certain vehicles.. I confused this port with a side firing port and put it on the the wrong side.. coulda got that sorted but actual response Idk how to use the sub's Ts with a program to figure out a box that way

basscort2009
07-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Hey, that novel is going to help people. There is a lot more information to be known that this about proper audio, so be glad I'm sharing it.

your info is good i just think too complex for this setup. good info though for sure

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:13 AM

As far as recalculating inch by inch. That's awesome. If you have time for it, it will prove helpful without having to calculate much, lol.

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 03:15 AM
my point to plain and simple. i like that moblenclosurs is giving complex advise but i dont think its needed unless super serious about sq or spl. other wise build simple and it will sound good. otherwise ur gonna pay a **** ton for designs and builders to get it right for you. and yea 4.06 but after all displacments thats still like 3.5 cubes or so. too big bro

he is just trying to help so threads like this don't need to be made as often I appreciate his help although 85%+ of it is a foreign language to me.. I am trying to catch some of what he is saying.. as for the 4.06.. Like I said the first two times it was BEFORE I saw the recs to make it smaller.. I will calculate displacements and slowly raise the floor up until I get it where I need it as the port size will also change with the box getting smaller

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:16 AM

I am going to have to agree with you on this. Solid points. I have seen people recently that came to me for designs that spent a lot before, but that's because they didn't come to me first,lol. Seriously...no joke. But good points man. It really is that simple if you just want something to play with. Plus, you never know...you might learn something about your vehicle that you never knew before.

sacsking916
07-31-2011, 03:16 AM

As I can appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge, frankly I don't wanna read a essay about it. I read through most of it then stop. Not talking down cause you have a lot of knowledge but anyway you can shorten them up some?

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:19 AM
As I can appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge, frankly I don't wanna read a essay about it. I read through most of it then stop. Not talking down cause you have a lot of knowledge but anyway you can shorten them up some?

Lol ok ok. Ill do my best. Sorry for the length. When I'm on my phone, it doesn't show very well how long it is. Just 2 lines at a time,lol. No problem man. Thank you for being honest.

sacsking916
07-31-2011, 03:23 AM
Lol ok ok. Ill do my best. Sorry for the length. When I'm on my phone, it doesn't show very well how long it is. Just 2 lines at a time,lol. No problem man. Thank you for being honest.

No problem. I post from my phone also so it seems like a lot more than it really is. I do appreciate it though. Its very foreign but try picking up on it

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
alright so My BASIC question is.. If I am trying to play from 28ish-70 and sound decent but still get loud (I would like a 140+ system.. I am pretty sure with this it can be done.. But I don't want it at 50hz and it not play anything else..) would 3.2 after all disps tuned at 35hz work.. the cab is approx 64W x 72L x 40H

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
No problem. I post from my phone also so it seems like a lot more than it really is. I do appreciate it though. Its very foreign but try picking up on it

It seems it will help comprehension and focus, so for that, I'm game. Now let's get back on topic lol

Moble Enclosurs
07-31-2011, 03:59 AM
alright so My BASIC question is.. If I am trying to play from 28ish-70 and sound decent but still get loud (I would like a 140+ system.. I am pretty sure with this it can be done.. But I don't want it at 50hz and it not play anything else..) would 3.2 after all disps tuned at 35hz work.. the cab is approx 64W x 72L x 40H

You have a great response range in mind (actually exactly 1.5 octaves), and I can help you further if you like, but not for free. What I will do is help with general info for free as this is a forum for questions and answers. But for calculating anything for you I can finish the design if you like, PM me if interested. If not, just go by what everyone else says that may help with getting something ok for a box, and you never know, you may love it.
I will say that 140dB for 28-70 will not be +/- 3dB with that design, but hitting 140 somewhere in there, likely.

kushy_dreams
07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd tune to 33 and add a 45 in the port. To me 35hz is too high if you want an emphasis on lows.

surreal
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
What kindof output are you looking for at 28hz? You could easily 'tune' to 38 or so and get acceptable output up there. A horn build of mine was 'tuned' to 38 and played audibly flat from at least 32 on up in a G6. Cabin gain will take over, especially in such a small cabin.

BlactimusCrime
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd tune to 33 and add a 45 in the port. To me 35hz is too high if you want an emphasis on lows.

not really for SA-8s, in a bigger box they seem to extend below tuning well.

OP,i think youre getting on the right track, somewhere between 2.8 and 3.2 after displacement should keep you from bottoming it out. I had 2 in 1.6 on2k and they never once bottomed out

KyleBechtold
07-31-2011, 02:46 PM
What kindof output are you looking for at 28hz? You could easily 'tune' to 38 or so and get acceptable output up there. A horn build of mine was 'tuned' to 38 and played audibly flat from at least 32 on up in a G6. Cabin gain will take over, especially in such a small cabin.

I would like some output there it doesn't need to hammer at 28hz.. But I would like it decently loud in the LOW 30s as that is where most of my music is..

not really for SA-8s, in a bigger box they seem to extend below tuning well.

OP,i think youre getting on the right track, somewhere between 2.8 and 3.2 after displacement should keep you from bottoming it out. I had 2 in 1.6 on2k and they never once bottomed out

I think I am going to try 3.2 @ 35hz will make an add on port to bring it to 32 for testing purposes or I may tune to 34 and add in 2x4s for disp to get the tuning up if it doesn't do what I want