PDA

View Full Version : X-over "enclosure"?

sooperxtool
07-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Not sure this is the right area for this... It is a type of "enclosure"...

Anyway, I have a single cab Ranger, and as you can imagine, space is limited at best. I'd prefer not to install things under the seats... I'd like to be able to mess with settings and whatnot. So I wanted to have an active crossover that has bandpass capability and it seems the one that fits my needs and budget the best is the Lanzar Opti X10. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to put it where I can easily tweak settings. The only thing I have come up with is building a "false floor" on the passenger side. I was thinking something like a carpeted wooden frame with about a 1/2" plexiglass window that could be lifted to access the xover. I realize just about anything is possible but does this sound like a good idea? If you can think of somewhere else it could go, or a better way to build the frame etc. let me know! Thanks!

surreal
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Perhaps if it fits on the side of the box, then plexi over that. Would be a clean all-in-one solution. Dont forget to rubber mount it or something just incase to kill vibrations.
Hm, this all assumes you have a subwoofer box back there. Heh.

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I was going to mount the amps to the box... **** single cab truck. I guess I'll try my hand at fabricating something that will work. Maybe I'll try to make a template and go from there.

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 12:24 PM
The 10 is fairly deep might want to make sure it will fit.

I personally would use some 8s or decent 10s sealed and do an amp rack or some sort...this would yield a decent result. Just adjust the amp prior to finishing the install 100%, if you can play with the settings odds are you will and then your run the risk of damaging things from various reasons...

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Well I am still thinking of doing the box that we discussed, with an amp on each side, so then that leaves no room for the xover. So far, best option I can come up with is the passenger floor idea...

You say I could damage stuff from messing with the crossover?

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Well I am still thinking of doing the box that we discussed, with an amp on each side, so then that leaves no room for the xover. So far, best option I can come up with is the passenger floor idea...

You say I could damage stuff from messing with the crossover?

You can if you get carried away with it. That is why I always try to keep them out of sight/mind of anyone who is not 100% familiar with what they are doing.

That optiX10 is very small, you can mount it with your amps fairly easy enough.

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I see... I probably wouldn't screw with it CONSTANTLY, just tweaking with it initially mostly.

I know its not huge compared to most, but each amp is something like 9hx11wx2d and the X10 is 9x10 from specs I have seen... The box can only be 36" wide and minus 10 for the sub.... I'm sure you get the point. So I am left with floor, under seat, other?

hispls
08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Can't fit it in the glove box?

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Na I wish. Its tiny. Can barely fit a paperback in that mofo.

vaiboy
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Have you thought about mounting it in the headliner? It seems like a safer alternative, at least it shouldn't get kicked up there.

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
How tall will the enclosure be? You could mount it above one of the amps easily enough.

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Headliner did cross my mind but, maybe I didn't explain very well. What I was proposing was basically a little tray that sits on the passenger side floor, and there would be a 1/2" plexi window that the x.o. would be under... In other words it would be fully protected. Kindof like when amps are mounted in the trunks of cars with a window over them so that the trunk is still usable.

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Have you thought about mounting it in the headliner? It seems like a safer alternative, at least it shouldn't get kicked up there.

LOL depends on the way the cab is used....

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Headliner did cross my mind but, maybe I didn't explain very well. What I was proposing was basically a little tray that sits on the passenger side floor, and there would be a 1/2" plexi window that the x.o. would be under... In other words it would be fully protected. Kindof like when amps are mounted in the trunks of cars with a window over them so that the trunk is still usable.

Seems like more work then the pay off would be. There is enough room for everything behind the seat with ease.

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I think I'll install a center console. I bet I could get it to fit in there.

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I think I'll install a center console. I bet I could get it to fit in there.

you can fit in the back as I have said many times now. Need help designing it? I will do it for free

sooperxtool
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Single cab mini-truck bro. Box will take up what little space I can scrounge behind seats. Amps will be mounted to box leaving no space.
Why all of a sudden you want to help me out now? I practically begged you to just give me a rough estimate on a box, and it took forever for you to even acknowledge that you got a message from me. I even included all specs you needed when asking for quotes.

24v
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/sj_popcorn.gif

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Single cab mini-truck bro. Box will take up what little space I can scrounge behind seats. Amps will be mounted to box leaving no space.
Why all of a sudden you want to help me out now? I practically begged you to just give me a rough estimate on a box, and it took forever for you to even acknowledge that you got a message from me. I even included all specs you needed when asking for quotes.

My PM's get over flooded at times so I do miss a few for responding(care to see how many PMs I get a day :crap: it ***** man). If you don't want my help I'm fine with that. I know it will all fit though.

BTW- I just searched my PM box and I have two messages from you. I am sorry that I didn't get back to you I can see where I didn't reply. It was not even a read message yet. As I said I do apologize for that, but please understand my " in box" is crazy all the time.

Moble Enclosurs
08-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Not sure this is the right area for this... It is a type of "enclosure"...

Anyway, I have a single cab Ranger, and as you can imagine, space is limited at best. I'd prefer not to install things under the seats... I'd like to be able to mess with settings and whatnot. So I wanted to have an active crossover that has bandpass capability and it seems the one that fits my needs and budget the best is the Lanzar Opti X10. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to put it where I can easily tweak settings. The only thing I have come up with is building a "false floor" on the passenger side. I was thinking something like a carpeted wooden frame with about a 1/2" plexiglass window that could be lifted to access the xover. I realize just about anything is possible but does this sound like a good idea? If you can think of somewhere else it could go, or a better way to build the frame etc. let me know! Thanks!
You can have it designed to flush into the enclosure as well. Not sure if that was recommended or not, but maybe a possibility.....to keep your options open.

sooperxtool
08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
You can have it designed to flush into the enclosure as well. Not sure if that was recommended or not, but maybe a possibility.....to keep your options open.

The box will already be pretty close to the minimum size for the sub...

Falcons
08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
pro-rabbit designs some good boxes. :fyi:

sooperxtool
08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
My PM's get over flooded at times so I do miss a few for responding(care to see how many PMs I get a day :crap: it ***** man). If you don't want my help I'm fine with that. I know it will all fit though.

BTW- I just searched my PM box and I have two messages from you. I am sorry that I didn't get back to you I can see where I didn't reply. It was not even a read message yet. As I said I do apologize for that, but please understand my " in box" is crazy all the time.

I understand your busy and all. But a "hey i will get back to you soon" would have been appreciated.

Idk. I don't think you understand just how little I have to work with in this truck. To be able to meet the requirements for the sub, and have a place for the amps to go, the box will need to take up practically every available inch I have behind those seats. I don't see any possible way to mound it behind the seats. Unless I went with the flush mount idea, that would be nice but I think it would cut in to the airspace too much. Unless I'm missing something and it is not as important to stay within the subs specs??