PDA

View Full Version : Aeroport box, 15" DC XL

LowNotes
07-28-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm going to build a box for my 15" DC XL sub soon but would like some help. I have some questions as well as a current design that I would like someone to review.

1. How much port area do you need per square foot when using aeroports?

2. How much space does there need to be between the ends of the port on both the inside and outside of the box? (How much breathing room does the port need away from the inside box walls and trunk/car)

3. If I'm going to flare the ends, do I flare both sides or just the outer end?

4. When you flare the end(s) of an aeroport, do you measure the straight part or, the whole pipe including flares when measuring the final length?

Here is my current design, I would like to tune around 32hz. Box dimensions are as big as they can be. I also made the box bigger than the recommended 3.5 Cu Ft seeing as how I'm underpowering the sub. Is two 6" aero's too big for a single 15" or does this design seem decent?

http://i.imgur.com/JknuT.jpg

Kangaroux
07-28-2011, 01:05 AM
1. 9-13 sq. inches
2. The port needs about the minimum width/height distance from the wall. I.e. if your port is 4" x 20", it should be 4" from the wall. Doing this also slightly decreases tuning.
3. It's best to flare both ends if possible for ideal air flow. If you can't flare both sides at least do the exterior side.
4. The port length is the straight pipe not including flares.

joshy629
07-28-2011, 01:07 AM
does your vehicle like highs or lows? i have a dc xl 15 and i did a 148.8 at the headrest in 5 cubes and an 8 inch flared aero port. the slare is 12 inchs also but its 8 inch pvc. also if you dont know i would recomend mdf wood. you can get it from lowes and its not bad for its price at all. and usually i try to leave about 3 inchs of breathing room on the outside of the box and the back hatch but on the inside of the box id leave more breathing room. and when you measure the length you include the flare. i hope this helps you out!!!

here is a vid of when i had my 18 just randomly lol

‪Fi BTL-N2 Flexin‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2wkB8_2els)

joshy629
07-28-2011, 01:13 AM
i useually count the flares it barely changes to much at all lol

surreal
07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
You shouldnt be much off of tuning either way you count them.

There is not a "per cubic foot" rule, and never really is with anything. Port area will be dependent mostly upon drivers used and power applied.

joshy629
07-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Great sub though =d

RAM_Designs
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
There is not a "per cubic foot" rule, and never really is with anything. Port area will be dependent mostly upon drivers used and power applied.

This. Displacement potential of the setup is the main deciding factor.

sacsking916
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
love the picture on the screen in your example

LowNotes
07-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I changed my design and I'm going with a single 8"x25" tube tuned to around 31hz. I forgot to ask a question in my OP and hope someone sees this!!! I know you make 45 degree corners when using a slot port but when doing aeroports do you still 45 the corners? Regular rectangle box, sub front port side.

Nut Hair Trick
08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
What program is that the OP is using?

skitzafit
08-29-2011, 05:43 PM
What program is that the OP is using?

Torres' Box Tuning Calculator - SMD Forum (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator/)

Moble Enclosurs
08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
1. 9-13 sq. inches
2. The port needs about the minimum width/height distance from the wall. I.e. if your port is 4" x 20", it should be 4" from the wall. Doing this also slightly decreases tuning.
3. It's best to flare both ends if possible for ideal air flow. If you can't flare both sides at least do the exterior side.
4. The port length is the straight pipe not including flares.

The flares are considered in the length. Its a simple expansion rate that does affect the output. The degree of that affect is why most do not bother with it. But for simple consideration of length, it is wise to calculate for the flare as well.