PDA

View Full Version : Need sum professional input and critizism

chadpcb
07-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I am designin a box for 4 12" Kenwood W3013ps.
They each require 1.5 to 2.5 c.ft VB
Now can I run a setup like pics below.
Each side of the box has 4.85 c.ft to compensate for subs and port.
and tuned at 31hz according to long division.
I will be running about 2000 watts rms
Any positive or negative feeback will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/b2.jpg

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/DZE_b1.jpg

May main concerns are tuning and air space. Specs for subs.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/specs.jpg

Again thanks for any help and all help

USAFbro
07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
QTS of 0.820? im deffinatly no expert but doesnt that mean it shouldn't really be in a ported box? please correct me if im wrong lol

mylows10
07-24-2011, 05:31 PM
looks like your going to have an issue with turbulence ,you need to make the air flow smoothly

RAM_Designs
07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
QTS of 0.820? im deffinatly no expert but doesnt that mean it shouldn't really be in a ported box? please correct me if im wrong lol

It'll just be very boomy. Couple that with a high Vas and it'll be quite peaky in a ported box unless you go large with a very low tuning in order to tame that big peak.

chadpcb
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
It'll just be very boomy. Couple that with a high Vas and it'll be quite peaky in a ported box unless you go large with a very low tuning in order to tame that big peak.

what is your sugestion on tuning freq. I have it set at 30hz right now

GeekSquad
07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Is there a specific reason why the box is V-shaped? I have been designing and building enclosures for over 16 years, and IMO you can run into phase and thus, cancellation issues when there are two different time-affecting factors involved. You have three. Factor one is the difference between the distance to your ears from each pair of subs; factor two is the inward cant of the subwoofer baffle; factor three is the difference between the port openings, the main baffle, and your ears, respectively.

I would recommend you come up with a more simple shape and design that combines the output from all the subs into one port that is large enough for the box volume. For best results, make the port as round shaped as possible and put 45s in the corners of it to smooth the air flow through its bends.

Good luck!

chadpcb
07-25-2011, 02:49 AM
I choose the v style box to be able to protect the speakers in a sense. They will be right behind the front seats of my dodge dakota.

Your time affecting factors. Factor one - difference in distance from ears to each pair of subs. This is less than 3 feet will it actually play a part.
Factor two not sure what part the inward cant would play provided the subs are not firing directly into each other.

The port openings are going to be completely rounded with a router inside and out.

surreal
07-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Its really best suited as a sealed drive. In ported, itll have a rolloff similar to a ported box until you make the enclosure very large.
Sealed, or 4th order.. Id stick with one of the two.