PDA

View Full Version : snailshell box

Nighthawk1192
07-23-2011, 11:15 PM
One of my co-workers just told me about how a snailshell box can increase output many times over and have good sound quality. How do these boxes work? This is the first time i've heard of one and i'm interested. anyone know?

mast240
07-23-2011, 11:17 PM
snailshell??? wtf

Nighthawk1192
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
he just said that the port was normal on the outside but got bigger and bigger on the inside. thats all i know about it

JL Audio
07-23-2011, 11:31 PM
snailshells are oldschool, been around for a long while... why is this new to people? sigh.. no one researches anymore.

ever heard of an abc enclosure? 6th order? eh.

Savag3
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
like a bass horn ?

mast240
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
just never heard the term snail shell before

Nighthawk1192
07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
how exactly do they work and do they really have a lot of output? i'm a total newb when it comes to enclosures

KyleBechtold
07-24-2011, 12:33 AM
snailshell??? wtf

just never heard the term snail shell before

thats what they have always been called..

Moble Enclosurs
07-24-2011, 05:09 AM
here is the thing. The common term is snailshell due to the expansion of the port giving specific acoustical properties that have direct control over the response curve from its pure physical porperties resembling much like a snail shell with obvious differences. Unlike a standard ported design, that relies on compression chamber and port length coupling for resonance control, the so called, "snailshell" inherits properties much like a standard horn enclosure, whereas the efficiency and coupling of the driver/box combination creates higher output as mentioned above. There is a lot to understand about a properly designed enclosure, whether the simplest form or complex to the point of 8th order designs, but in essence as questioned, yes they do give greater output generally using the same applied power as a lower efficient design, IF built and designed properly. But that is not what their main purpose is.....it is mainly geared towards the use of lower amplified sources to achieve equal output, not greater output, though this is an acoustical effect of such enclosure.
I have not heard it called a snailshell in years, but can be referred to as a tapered enclosure with or without compression chamber, either normal taper or reverse.

The actual understanding of the design of these enclosures is complex. And giving a general idea of how they work is not plausible in a single text. But can be learned over time. Just figured I could chime in to help a little....hope it did.

Imtjnotu
07-24-2011, 06:06 AM
snailshell??? wtf

yes noob cakes...lol jk

John Nolte pretty much made them what they are and was one of the only people i kno to sell designs for them back in like 04......its pretty much a folded horn just in a snail shell style

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/331505/1996-toyota-tacoma-xtra-cab/page-3

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj190/jalatalaj/12snailshell.jpg

hard to get info on them now adays but u will have to do digging...id start with ram designs