PDA

View Full Version : fiberglassing inside box

playyamxz550
07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
I see some boxes have fiberglass inside and I see this helps air movement, but how much really does this help noticable or only on termlab noticable and can someone post pics if u have a fiberglass inside enclosure

carlosg_313
07-22-2011, 02:14 AM
I see some boxes have fiberglass inside and I see this helps air movement, but how much really does this help noticable or only on termlab noticable and can someone post pics if u have a fiberglass inside enclosure

there is no way of telling whether its either its going to improve spl, or lose spl. it just happens. like putting sound deadenor, may gain score, and might lose score.

mast240
07-22-2011, 02:18 AM
glassing the inside of a box isnt really as much about air flow as it is about air pressure.... with very large set ups, it helps the box's with the huge air pressure that is built up inside (seals it better, helps with flex, just makes the box stronger in general) ... this can help with spl scores, but not cuz of an air flow perspective, more of just a box flex issue

playyamxz550
07-22-2011, 02:38 AM
okay thanks I never though of it like that do you think it would be worth it for my 2 18in dc level 4 xl's for a daily setup, maybe burping hear and there?

mast240
07-22-2011, 02:41 AM
it definately cant hurt bro... might help you hit the lower notes a lil better too, due to resonance of lower freqs with box flex

carlosg_313
07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
it definately cant hurt bro... might help you hit the lower notes a lil better too, due to resonance of lower freqs with box flex

you. sir, must know your ****. lol. now im thinking on fiberglassing my corners of my box.

mast240
07-22-2011, 02:47 AM
you. sir, must know your ****. lol. now im thinking on fiberglassing my corners of my box.

to be effective, you should fiberglass the entire inside.... effectively making a shell, sealing it better, and helping with flex

infamous_e46
07-22-2011, 03:33 AM
like just resin the fuqq outta that ho3 ???

Kangaroux
07-22-2011, 03:35 AM
like just resin the fuqq outta that ho3 ???

yutyut

carlosg_313
07-22-2011, 03:36 AM
to be effective, you should fiberglass the entire inside.... effectively making a shell, sealing it better, and helping with flex

would that method help to replace bracing?

infamous_e46
07-22-2011, 04:00 AM

http://webservice.imagesauce.net/image/712529/400x.jpg

carlosg_313
07-22-2011, 04:07 AM
http://webservice.imagesauce.net/image/712529/400x.jpg

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!1?1 ?!?!?!?!?!?!

dont get it???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??!!??!?!!?1?1?1?1?! ?!?!?1?!?!?!?!?!?!1?1? finally changed your avatar? kinda liked the old one

KyleBechtold
07-22-2011, 05:07 AM
glassing the inside of a box isnt really as much about air flow as it is about air pressure.... with very large set ups, it helps the box's with the huge air pressure that is built up inside (seals it better, helps with flex, just makes the box stronger in general) ... this can help with spl scores, but not cuz of an air flow perspective, more of just a box flex issue

fiberglassing doesn't really add strength to straight surfaces.. it will just crack off the wood under pressure..

the corners would be the only place worth while.. again fiberglassing does not strengthen flat surfaces until you add INCHES of it and then you are strengthening the wood you are just adding enough fiberglass that it makes itself into a fiberglass enclosure surrounded by wood.. that would be hundreds to cover that much area in inches

No..

infamous_e46
07-22-2011, 05:11 AM
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!1?1 ?!?!?!?!?!?!

dont get it???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??!!??!?!!?1?1?1?1?! ?!?!?1?!?!?!?!?!?!1?1? finally changed your avatar? kinda liked the old one

the troll was fuqqin wit my $$$

n8skow
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Ditto...
Fiberglass won't get a very strong structural bond with the MDF by itself, it's more for making the enclosure air tight.
MDF is somewhat porous, so a thin layer of resin (clear coat, sealer, etc.) can help in that regard.

Your tuning may also go up a frequency or two since a leaky box behaves like a larger box - sealing it up will affect your tuning.

fiberglassing doesn't really add strength to straight surfaces.. it will just crack off the wood under pressure..

the corners would be the only place worth while.. again fiberglassing does not strengthen flat surfaces until you add INCHES of it and then you are strengthening the wood you are just adding enough fiberglass that it makes itself into a fiberglass enclosure surrounded by wood.. that would be hundreds to cover that much area in inches

No..

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 11:44 AM
99% of the time it is not worth the effort.

I have done a ton of testing with this idea back in early 2000 and when it was all said and done, it was not worth the effort even in my SPL systems. To be honest, I lost DB in almost ever case and the "sound" (which is subjective) never changed enough to say "yep that is better".

n8skow
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Really depends on what your goal is...
I've got 3 SPL boxes that have all gained with resin. (My loudest enclosure gained .4 db)

For sq/street beating - I'd agree though, don't bother.

99% of the time it is not worth the effort.

I have done a ton of testing with this idea back in early 2000 and when it was all said and done, it was not worth the effort even in my SPL systems. To be honest, I lost DB in almost ever case and the "sound" (which is subjective) never changed enough to say "yep that is better".

pro-rabbit
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
The SPL side is dependent on application. I consider .4 (the average increase I saw was .2 but the wall gained .7) not to be worth the effort. If I was not at least 3db louder I was not loud enough and just rebuilt.

n8skow
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I should clarify, I compete in MWSPL - (which is based around clamped power) and .4 db is a pretty appreciable gain for having not changed anything else.
I will agree - it's dependent on application...