PDA

View Full Version : alt fried?

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:55 AM
so tonight, i was driving at full tilt and i see my battery light go on. i never noticed it before so i turned my music down just be safe. i stop at my frends house to pick him up but never shut the car off. so were goin and my car is shifting hard into their gears(its automatic btw). so i get to a red light and when it turns green i hit the gas like normal but i car is slowwwllyy accelerate. now by this time my speedometer and rpm's are not reading at all. they both say zero. i would put the pedal to the floor and the car would slowlyy accelerate. so i pull off to the side of the road and open the hood. i see that my ground from chassis to engine block came out of the ring terminal. so im guessing i killed my alt without knowing it? i went to go try to start the car and it wouldn't. i take my dmm to the battery and it reads 12.0. i had someone jump start me and when i go to accelerate, same thing happens. car will barely accelerate no electronics are working in the car. the blinker would but it was very slow and faint. is it time for a new alt?

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:02 AM
dont think your alt is fried... you said the solution to your problem yourself... if your engine block isnt grounded, alot of your management systems wont work properly (i.e. speedo, tach, accelerator, fuel injection, so on and so on)

09civic
07-22-2011, 01:10 AM
dont think your alt is fried... you said the solution to your problem yourself... if your engine block isnt grounded, alot of your management systems wont work properly (i.e. speedo, tach, accelerator, fuel injection, so on and so on)

well i have all the stock wiring already there. i just added on zero gauge.

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:12 AM
so your big 3 ground is what came out of the ring? if so, just do the standard test.... get it running, pull the positive terminal off your battery... if it dies, its your alt.. if not, its your batt

09civic
07-22-2011, 01:14 AM
a dead battery would explain the wierd acceleration and speedometer not working?

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:17 AM
a dead battery would explain the wierd acceleration and speedometer not working?

Something's definitely wrong. I'd take the time to do the test, whose answer would tell you what's wrong, rather than asking rhetorical questions.

09civic
07-22-2011, 01:19 AM
alright i will tmrw. i just dont understand how i could done this with my setup cuz im only pushing 600-700 watts and my stock electrical should do that.

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:21 AM
alright i will tmrw. i just dont understand how i could done this with my setup cuz im only pushing 600-700 watts and my stock electrical should do that.

That's definitely odd, but I don't know what the implications of the 1/0 ground coming undone are.

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Get your hands off me, you **** dirty double post!

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:24 AM

its not likely... but could happen... depending on the car. (not sure what you got) ... pontiacs are notorious for those types of issues... i doubt it is your battery, cuz you said u tested it at 12v, and for it to affect the accessories and management systems on your car, you'd have to be running down below 7-8v ... but, thats why i said to pull the positive... will tell you for sure if your alt is shot... if your car dies immediately once you pull it, its shot. if nothing happens... get your battery tested for a bad cell (which i doubt, but you always want to remove the simplest solutions first when trouble shooting)... from there, you'd have to take it to a shop, cuz it would be alot more trouble shooting than could be done online

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Something's definitely wrong. I'd take the time to do the test, whose answer would tell you what's wrong, rather than asking rhetorical questions.

or actually trying to give an answer, instead of just saying "something is definately wrong" ... thank you captain obvious

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:25 AM
That's definitely odd, but I don't know what the implications of the 1/0 ground coming undone are.

there are none... his original post just said that his engine block ground came loose.. thats the only reason i suggested it...

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:37 AM
or actually trying to give an answer, instead of just saying "something is definately wrong" ... thank you captain obvious

*slow clap*

<sarcasm>You're so intelligent. Thank you for your vast insight. </sarcasm> I told him to do the test, did I not? That's enough of an answer for me. Also, next time you try to quote something, maybe try to include proper grammar. Thank you, Captain Complete Moron.

To your other post(because I'm too lazy to quote it too), like I said, I didn't know the implications. I didn't say there were any. Trying to call me out on saying something stupid isn't really working here, bro. Maybe you should go troll somewhere else.

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:41 AM
bro... go get some vagisil... your the one who had to try to say some ish to me first... how bout YOU go troll somewhere else... where you can actually be useful

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
bro... go get some vagisil... your the one who had to try to say some ish to me first... how bout YOU go troll somewhere else... where you can actually be useful

Heh... I think your ignorance has misguided you. Where, in any of my posts, other than the one in which I quoted you, did I try to say some **** to you? Both of my posts were directed at the OP(just so we're clear, saturn95 started the thread -- not you).

I'm pretty sure I know which part you mistook for some kind of insult toward you, and I'm sorry for that. Your ape-like tendencies must make you do some pretty stupid things. The rhetorical comment was a direct response to the post I quoted, in which saturn95(again, he's the OP) said something along the lines of, "A dead battery could do this?" rather than taking the few minutes to do the test you spoke of, assuming he had access to someone with jumper cables or another car, etc., to start his car again.

mast240
07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Heh... I think your ignorance has misguided you. Where, in any of my posts, other than the one in which I quoted you, did I try to say some **** to you? Both of my posts were directed at the OP(just so we're clear, saturn95 started the thread -- not you).

I'm pretty sure I know which part you mistook for some kind of insult toward you, and I'm sorry for that. Your ape-like tendencies must make you do some pretty stupid things. The rhetorical comment was a direct response to the post I quoted, in which saturn95(again, he's the OP) said something along the lines of, "A dead battery could do this?" rather than taking the few minutes to do the test you spoke of, assuming he had access to someone with jumper cables or another car, etc., to start his car again.

ok... well if you can be a big enough man to make things clear and apologize, than so can i... i took your posts as being towards me, and not as towards the OP, which is why i posted what i did... and for that, i apologize. didnt mean to jump down your throat bro... just been alot of *** hats on here lately, that just want to be sarcastic pricks, instead of being useful, that i guess it's made me a lil jaded, i guess.

MisterDeadeye
07-22-2011, 01:57 AM
ok... well if you can be a big enough man to make things clear and apologize, than so can i... i took your posts as being towards me, and not as towards the OP, which is why i posted what i did... and for that, i apologize. didnt mean to jump down your throat bro... just been alot of *** hats on here lately, that just want to be sarcastic pricks, instead of being useful, that i guess it's made me a lil jaded, i guess.

That's understandable. Sorry about the monkey and stupidity comments; I was way out of line.

Want a banana? http://www.bananacafedc.com/images/banana.gif

Lulz... That one was a joke.

mast240
07-22-2011, 02:00 AM
:readytog:

its all good bro... no harm done, lol

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Sounds exactly like my Acura problem awhile back. My alt was done with and so was my battery.

09civic
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Sounds exactly like my Acura problem awhile back. My alt was done with and so was my battery.

your car was doing the same things?

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Honestly unless that ground cable came out and made contact with the 12V alternator lead, I don't see how it could have damaged anything. Being a ground wire means it's at the same potential as all that other metal it's surrounded by so bumping into any of that shouldn't do anything, your not even completing a circuit (the stock wiring completes the circuit already) so it shouldn't even arc.

Instead of all of us sitting around "brainstorming" why don't you just pull both the alt and the batt and take them to an auto shop for testing? I only glanced through the thread (mostly because of some stupid bickering) so if that was suggested already then your dumb for not doing it yet, lol

09civic
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Honestly unless that ground cable came out and made contact with the 12V alternator lead, I don't see how it could have damaged anything. Being a ground wire means it's at the same potential as all that other metal it's surrounded by so bumping into any of that shouldn't do anything, your not even completing a circuit (the stock wiring completes the circuit already) so it shouldn't even arc.

Instead of all of us sitting around "brainstorming" why don't you just pull both the alt and the batt and take them to an auto shop for testing? I only glanced through the thread (mostly because of some stupid bickering) so if that was suggested already then your dumb for not doing it yet, lol

well im waiting for my friend to get here so we can check if its either the batt or alt. and i dont have the tools or skills to remove my alt. it can only be accessed from under the car.

its a 1995 saturn SL btw

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
well im waiting for my friend to get here so we can check if its either the batt or alt. and i dont have the tools or skills to remove my alt. it can only be accessed from under the car.

its a 1995 saturn SL btw

Yeah, alt's are usually a bish. I have to remove the oil filter in my hyundai to get the alt out, lol.

09civic
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah, alt's are usually a bish. I have to remove the oil filter in my hyundai to get the alt out, lol.

lol ya. its gonna cost me about 225 for new alt and install. there goes my window tinting money!

sleazebagger
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
lol ya. its gonna cost me about 225 for new alt and install. there goes my window tinting money!

good time to go HO

09civic
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
good time to go HO

not enough money :(

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 11:51 AM
not enough money :(

DB Electrical - SATURN SC SL SW HIGH O 220 AMP ALTERNATOR 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 8107 (http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5318-saturn-sc-sl-sw-high-o-220-amp-alternator-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-8107.aspx)

09civic
07-22-2011, 11:53 AM
DB Electrical - SATURN SC SL SW HIGH O 220 AMP ALTERNATOR 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 8107 (http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5318-saturn-sc-sl-sw-high-o-220-amp-alternator-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-8107.aspx)

yes but install is another 100 bucks

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
yes but install is another 100 bucks

Install it yourself. No better time to learn then now.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
dbl post

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Install it yourself. No better time to learn then now.

dont have tools and i need my car up and running again asap.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Your just looking for excuses. You don't really need a vast number of tools for this job, a jack and a few wrenches would suffice. You don't know anyone with tools you could borrow or that could help you install it? Your buddy could help you...

I'm just trying to help you out since your hard up for cash. If I could save myself $100 by doing a little work, I would definitely do it.

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Your just looking for excuses. You don't really need a vast number of tools for this job, a jack and a few wrenches would suffice. You don't know anyone with tools you could borrow or that could help you install it? Your buddy could help you...

I'm just trying to help you out since your hard up for cash. If I could save myself $100 by doing a little work, I would definitely do it.

when i did the big 3 on my car, is was nearly impossible to even get the ring terminal on properly. the alt is in such a hard place. the only way i could get to it properly is if i could stand under the car and remove the wheel.

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
when i did the big 3 on my car, is was nearly impossible to even get the ring terminal on properly. the alt is in such a hard place. the only way i could get to it properly is if i could stand under the car and remove the wheel.

jack it up, roll under the car, and remove a wheel.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Removing a wheel isn't as difficult as it sounds, they're just lug nuts. Mine sits in the same spot, I have to remove the wheel then take out a plastic splash guard on the inside and viola, I have instant access to my alternator. Of course I didn't know this until I found the service manual for my car online. You should definitely look for that, a good service manual will have step by step illustrated instructions on how to do some of the more complicated tasks (like replacing the alternator).

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Removing a wheel isn't as difficult as it sounds, they're just lug nuts. Mine sits in the same spot, I have to remove the wheel then take out a plastic splash guard on the inside and viola, I have instant access to my alternator. Of course I didn't know this until I found the service manual for my car online. You should definitely look for that, a good service manual will have step by step illustrated instructions on how to do some of the more complicated tasks (like replacing the alternator).

whats sad is i dont know which model my saturn is. it doesnt say on the car or even in the manuel. its either the sl, sl1, or sl2.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
whats sad is i dont know which model my saturn is. it doesnt say on the car or even in the manuel. its either the sl, sl1, or sl2.

I'm sure you can find out somehow, maybe the VIN?

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sure you can find out somehow, maybe the VIN?

that'd be my first guess on where to look, just google the VIN number and see what you get.

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:33 PM
VIN? lol

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
VIN? lol

Really?

Vehicle Identification Number; there should be plate on your dads on the drivers side that you can see through the windshield from the outside.

09civic
07-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Really?

Vehicle Identification Number; there should be plate on your dads on the drivers side that you can see through the windshield from the outside.

lol ok

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
your car was doing the same things?

yes my old car was, to the T. did everything you just said

09civic
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
yes my old car was, to the T. did everything you just said

and you said it was from the alt?

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
and you said it was from the alt?

mine was yeah, and all those saturns are the same in that year. they all had the same engine in them. and its not that bad, if you can get a jack then you will be golden to get it out. its not as hard as your making it bro.

09civic
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
mine was yeah, and all those saturns are the same in that year. they all had the same engine in them. and its not that bad, if you can get a jack then you will be golden to get it out. its not as hard as your making it bro.

when i got mine up on a jack, i cud barely get my arm up to the power

09civic
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
my friend just jump started me and everything was working when i was still connected to his battery. as in the speedometer etc. once i got off his battery. my battery read 7 volts

does this mean the alt of batt is the problem?

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
my friend just jump started me and everything was working when i was still connected to his battery. as in the speedometer etc. once i got off his battery. my battery read 7 volts

does this mean the alt of batt is the problem?

What does your batt read when the car is off? If it's reading 12V then it's definitely the alt.

09civic
07-22-2011, 03:19 PM
What does your batt read when the car is off? If it's reading 12V then it's definitely the alt.

its reads 11.9- 12.0 and when i try to start it, it'll go down to 10.4. could it have a dead cell?

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
its reads 11.9- 12.0 and when i try to start it, it'll go down to 10.4. could it have a dead cell?

is your positive terminal all the way on? mine did that for awhile before I was smart enough to look at the battery terminals.

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 03:39 PM
test em. pull the battery and take it to get tested.

09civic
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
is your positive terminal all the way on? mine did that for awhile before I was smart enough to look at the battery terminals.

yea its good.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Ehh, idk that sounds more like the alternator to me, like the regulator is bad.

MONSONwarrior
07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Ehh, idk that sounds more like the alternator to me, like the regulator is bad.

that would keep it from charging the battery, then under the load of starting it, or even the load of the dome lights it'll drop to where it is.

mast240
07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
yea your alt is prolly fried... even with a bad cell, a batt would read above 13v when running, AND then jump down in voltage when your car is shut off

09civic
07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
alright. so no place around here will install alts....so im juss gonna have to do it myself. will i need any additional parts to instal a new one?

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
that would keep it from charging the battery, then under the load of starting it, or even the load of the dome lights it'll drop to where it is.

No I was thinking more like, the alternator's regulator was actively dragging down the voltage, like an internal short or something.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
alright. so no place around here will install alts....so im juss gonna have to do it myself. will i need any additional parts to instal a new one?

Make sure the new alt comes with a new pulley (you'll never get the old one of the old alt). The only other thing you may need is a new serpentine belt if the new pulley is drastically sized differently then the old.

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 04:07 PM

maybe a belt. and for the record an alt has nothing to do with starting. did you test your bat???

sacsking916
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Make sure the new alt comes with a new pulley (you'll never get the old one of the old alt). The only other thing you may need is a new serpentine belt if the new pulley is drastically sized differently then the old.

i take old pulleys off daily bro. its really not that much work. now if your saying for him its a challenge to get the old pulley off then yeah. but most newer aged alts come ready to go pulleys installed.

bubbagumper6
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM
i take old pulleys off daily bro. its really not that much work. now if your saying for him its a challenge to get the old pulley off then yeah. but most newer aged alts come ready to go pulleys installed.

Yeah, HE will never get it off. When I bought an HO alt from Knu it didn't come with a new pulley and we tried for hours to get the old one off the old alt. It was a mess, my car ended up being laid up for days while we waited for a new pulley.