PDA

View Full Version : EQ..what are you EFFECTIVELY doing?

b0r
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Little about my system:

SONY XAV-70BT 7" Double Din Touchscreen
JBL BP1200.1
RE SXX12D4 wired to the amp for 2 ohms (in question)

When you go into the headunit settings and turn up the Subwoofer (-6 +6) what are you effectively doing? Increasing voltage? Require GAIN to be re-tuned?

When you make changes to your EQ (Choosing Xplod, for instance)..What exactly are you doing?

Is there any preset custom EQ rolling around that people swear by?

After a little while, my sub gets noticeably warm..I can hold my hand on it and it's not uncomfortable, but it's definitely over 100 degrees. Do subs have "die" temps? People claim that your sub should remain cool..I don't see this happening. I was going to check my wiring but realistically, the sub can handle 2000W peak..I can't be giving it 1000W rms that the amp puts out because the gain is barely a 1/4 and I don't have it up too high and it's not getting 14.4.

Can someone out there with a digital thermometer take the temp of their subs after a few and see what the deal is?

KyleBechtold
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
some h/us are different than others.. one of my h/us that was the voltage out to the subs and it sounded better to turn that one up then tune the amp.. another one was the complete opposite it sounds better to leave off and tune the amp..

the best is to roll flat and make NEGATIVE adjustments if you have say tweeters that are to sharp at certain frequencies etc but idk if you have selectable frequencies to set on that h/u or if its just presets

mast240
07-21-2011, 12:49 AM
adjusting up will cause more voltage out... but that can also cause clipping at a lower volume... hence why you want to keep it flat for tuning... and if you turn it too far down, you wont get full potential from your amp

Louisiana_CRX
07-21-2011, 12:54 AM
:popcorn: