PDA

View Full Version : help me understand 4th order tuning

Jroo
07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a few questions regarding tuning of 4th order designs. How does 4th order tuning differ from traditional ported boxes? I see some designs that are tuned low and it sounds like they are going for low end monsters? Am I correct that a low tuned 4th orders wont play much over the low tuning? The 4th orders that I see that have high tuning like 60 and 70 seem to be the ones designed to be more musical? In a 4th with a high tuning does it play from the tuning down or will it start falling off like a ported box would do? So if I tuned a ported box to 60, it would peak there but then start falling off below the peak right and woulnt have any lows. How does that differ in a 4th order?

Jroo
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Somebody help me out. I have two designs for same woofers. Both designs are very close in size for the sealed and the ported sections. the difference is the tuning. One is high and the other design is way lower. Trying to figure out the effect on the tuning for bandpass. I told both that I wanted it to play from 70 down so I would assume the higher tuned one would be better at doing that.

KyleBechtold
07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
it seems like there are no people willing to help anymore with out getting paid on here.. maybe caco or ssa can be of better help..

RAM_Designs
07-21-2011, 04:03 PM
What are your enclosure volumes? That plays a big role as to how the tuning is going to affect tour response curve. We also need to know what subs you are using.

09civic
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
it seems like there are no people willing to help anymore with out getting paid on here.. maybe caco or ssa can be of better help..

not true bro. just too lazy and we see these questions everyday

galacticmonkey
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
What subs/space/bandwith are you looking for? Post them up and Ill help you out with the specs you need.

My 4th order is tuned at 30hz and it is a beast on low end. Peaks at 25hz.

Imtjnotu
07-21-2011, 04:26 PM
What subs/space/bandwith are you looking for? Post them up and Ill help you out with the specs you need.

My 4th order is tuned at 30hz and it is a beast on low end. Peaks at 25hz.damnn any pics of it and what subs?

galacticmonkey
07-22-2011, 04:07 AM
CVRs. Check my build thread. I also put up a video in the videos section.

Jroo
07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
These were a pair of 10" credence clearance speakers. Credence build house told me they were close to the old solobarics and just had a different label placed on them. The design I trust is 0.936 sealed side. 2.042 or the ported side with a port tuned to 67 and 54.25 of port area. Like i said I had some other designs that were very close on size, but they placed the tune down in the 50hz range. I believe the size of the box is dead on, I just want to learn how the tune will affect how the box plays. I was looking for some thing that could play around 70 down, where my midbass will be cut.

Buck
07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Tuning really depends on box size and what goals you are trying to achieve.

rosshimself13
07-22-2011, 10:29 PM
if you want good daily then your best bet will be to tune to around 45hz, it will get low still but that is also basd on a 2 to 1 ported to sealed ratio..

galacticmonkey
07-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Tune at 50hz. It will play up to 70hz no problem.

If youre just looking for a super wide passband, a larger sealed box might be the best bet for you.

Buck
07-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Tune at 50hz. It will play up to 70hz no problem.

If youre just looking for a super wide passband, a larger sealed box might be the best bet for you.

Why would you want to play up to 70 hz?

power-fanatic07
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Why would you want to play up to 70 hz?

These were a pair of 10" credence clearance speakers. Credence build house told me they were close to the old solobarics and just had a different label placed on them. The design I trust is 0.936 sealed side. 2.042 or the ported side with a port tuned to 67 and 54.25 of port area. Like i said I had some other designs that were very close on size, but they placed the tune down in the 50hz range. I believe the size of the box is dead on, I just want to learn how the tune will affect how the box plays. I was looking for some thing that could play around 70 down, where my midbass will be cut.

Reading > joo

surreal
07-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Chamber volumes along with tuning affect bandwidth. Not one is really more important than another.. to truly understand it you need to take a look for yourself.

GeekSquad
07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Chamber volumes along with tuning affect bandwidth. Not one is really more important than another.. to truly understand it you need to take a look for yourself.

x2

You are asking the right questions; you just need to read up a little bit on your own.

The tuning on a box is kind of like an equilibrium point between the compliance (stifness) of the air in the box and the volume of air inside the port. Along with port area, these are the primary determining factors in a 4th order tuning ratio.

Kangaroux
07-27-2011, 01:04 AM
OP I suggest getting winisd, entering in your subs specs and fooling around with the volumes and tuning. The higher the ratio between ported and sealed, generally the output will be peakier, but if you do something closer to a 1:1 ratio you get a flatter response that has better low end, while sacrificing some output. 45Hz should be fine for what you are looking for as that covers a pretty large range from 30Hz - ~65Hz depending on the woofer. Personally, I would design it in a way where it will play 25-60Hz or even 50Hz, and then deaden your door speakers up front and cross them over pretty low, around 70Hz. It's hard to get a good bandwidth without the highs sounding like trash, or sacrificing low end.

05trailblazer
07-31-2011, 03:00 PM
i need to deaden my door speakers, see what kind of difference it makes.