PDA

View Full Version : single or multiple boxes

fc3s-tyler
07-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm slapping 4 d1 12 inch subs in the hatch of my 90 rx7. I have a few designs drawn up but need to know what's better, haveing all 4 in a single porteed box, 2 in 2 sperate boxes or my first design called for 2 in single box and 2 in their own seperate boxes. The lay out will either be all 4 facing and ported up or 2 facing up and 2 facing rear with ports facing up. Any sugestions are greatly appreciated.

GeekSquad
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Single, single, single!

Multiple boxes, each with their own sub (or set of subs) will have their own tuning, peak, and rolloff frequencies because each subwoofer, box, and port are different. If you use the same port for one space, you are guaranteed to have a single tuning frequency and not two or three.

RAM_Designs
07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Single, single, single!

Multiple boxes, each with their own sub (or set of subs) will have their own tuning, peak, and rolloff frequencies because each subwoofer, box, and port are different. If you use the same port for one space, you are guaranteed to have a single tuning frequency and not two or three.

While I agree that a single box and port is better, it's certainly not difficult to make a multiple-chambered box with identical chamber volumes and tunings. I don't know why you think everything would be different.

BlactimusCrime
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
if you do the 2 in 1 box and the 2 in single boxes, i would do separate chambers and ports in the 2 sub box

pro-rabbit
07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm slapping 4 d1 12 inch subs in the hatch of my 90 rx7. I have a few designs drawn up but need to know what's better, haveing all 4 in a single porteed box, 2 in 2 sperate boxes or my first design called for 2 in single box and 2 in their own seperate boxes. The lay out will either be all 4 facing and ported up or 2 facing up and 2 facing rear with ports facing up. Any sugestions are greatly appreciated.

Are you staying in the back of the car? I fit 2 12s ported in one a year or so ago..not much room back there...been a while though I could be wrong.