PDA

View Full Version : SQ Headphones

Kangaroux
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Probably not the ideal website to ask this on but, whatever...

I have a $50 fatality gaming headset which I liked for a while to use when listening to music but more recently that I've gotten into audio I'm disliking these headphones more and more simply because they sound like ball sack to me now...

Just want to hear some suggestions on some good sounding circumaural (the kind that cover your ears) headphones. Don't want any bass boost headphones or junk like that. Flat response, smooth sounding (once everyone goes to sleep I switch over to headphones and listen to music for like 4 hours, harsh tweeters/treble give me a headache very quickly), comfortable, etc.

Price range is around $100. Not looking to spend loads on $400 studio headphones, just want something that's going to sound good. Looked at some of the sennheisers and the sony's, both have good reviews and my buddy who works at a recording studio said hes tried both and they are very good. I'm just here to get any personal opinions on either and some more suggestions.

whitedragon551
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Turtle Beach makes some great headphones. Most of what they have is for gaming though. You may be able to find some that has a removable mic boom. Also check out the Klipsch Image ONE's. Sennhesier is also a nice brand. Specifically the RS160 and the HD280. Those are the only two decent models that are around $100. All the other higher ends are 200+

New Klipsch Image ONE Noise Isolating Headphones w/Mic | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Klipsch-Image-ONE-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-w-Mic-/120747418444?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c1d1b634c)
Klipsch Image ONE Premium On-Ear Earphones with Mic | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Image-ONE-Premium-On-Ear-Earphones-Mic-/290585864632?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item43a84469b8)

Kangaroux
07-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Turtle Beach makes some great headphones. Most of what they have is for gaming though. You may be able to find some that has a removable mic boom. Also check out the Klipsch Image ONE's. Sennhesier is also a nice brand. Specifically the RS160 and the HD280. Those are the only two decent models that are around $100. All the other higher ends are 200+

New Klipsch Image ONE Noise Isolating Headphones w/Mic | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Klipsch-Image-ONE-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-w-Mic-/120747418444?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item1c1d1b634c)
Klipsch Image ONE Premium On-Ear Earphones with Mic | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Image-ONE-Premium-On-Ear-Earphones-Mic-/290585864632?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item43a84469b8)

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, perfect.

I forgot to mention it in the OP but if the headphones have a mic that would be a plus. I might sell this fatality at some point and in that case would need a mic if I played on ps3 (some people are dumb and I need to harass them :furious:)

fasfocus00
07-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I have Beats by Dre Solo HD. you can probably pick up a set on Craigslist for $100.

MisterDeadeye
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Don't fall into the trap of Beats by Dre.

Audio Technica ATH-M50's come to mind. You could also look at some AKGs in that range, and I guess Sennheiser offers some good sounding headphones around $100. But seriously, don't convince yourself that saving an extra $20-30 will satisfy you. I settled for some Shure SRH440's, and I was VERY disappointed in them when I finally got them. The M50's are widely known as having a great soundstage, good frequency response, and don't have any unusual "bass boost" or "processing" involved, ruining the fidelity of the music itself.

denim
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Audio Technica ATH-M50's come to mind. You could also look at some AKGs in that range, and I guess Sennheiser offers some good sounding headphones around $100. But seriously, don't convince yourself that saving an extra $20-30 will satisfy you. I settled for some Shure SRH440's, and I was VERY disappointed in them when I finally got them. The M50's are widely known as having a great soundstage, good frequency response, and don't have any unusual "bass boost" or "processing" involved, ruining the fidelity of the music itself.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/b/be/Ackbar.jpg

dumple
07-19-2011, 11:26 PM
i love my bose quite comforts

Fiendstolemyamp
07-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I have always preferred Sennheiser.

dumple
07-19-2011, 11:41 PM

I had a pair of the gaming headsets back in the day did enjoy them aswell.

pinoy2o9
07-20-2011, 12:12 AM
vmoda crossfade LP

best bang for the buck =)

Louisiana_CRX
07-20-2011, 12:24 AM
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, perfect.

I forgot to mention it in the OP but if the headphones have a mic that would be a plus. I might sell this fatality at some point and in that case would need a mic if I played on ps3 (some people are dumb and I need to harass them :furious:)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m24/Louisiana_CRX/sham_wow_guy.jpg

Imtjnotu
07-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Pm me and we will talk...I'm on a headphone website daily...

GavinVoy
07-20-2011, 12:47 AM

i really like my AKG's.

Amazon.com: AKG K271MKII Closed Back Circumaural Headphones: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K271MKII-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0016MOC28)

CL1CKCLACK
07-20-2011, 12:49 AM
for around the 100 dollar price range my favorites have been a pair of sennheisers i got from bestbuy, i think they were like 80 bucks

sailor95
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
hey putting together cheap clean sounding system and was wondering how a memphis 500 watt amp and a kicker cvx would sound

CL1CKCLACK
07-20-2011, 12:52 AM
hey putting together cheap clean sounding system and was wondering how a memphis 500 watt amp and a kicker cvx would sound

bout like me after a large mexican meal

brodeisel
07-20-2011, 12:55 AM
i like my triton head set but it is made for computer but they make a jack to use it on xbox. it has a removable mic and 5.0 surround sound that sounds really clean to me.

Linkz
07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Audio Technica makes some great studio grade headphones. I have owned a pair of ath-a700's for about a year now. They have only sounded better with age. They are full sized headphones with great bass and dynamics. I hear things with these that I do not hear listening to anything else. In fact I cannot listen to tool in the car anymore because it doesn't sound right to me.

They are a little tight starting out. But, as you use them they loosen up and of times I forget they are even on my head. I can easily wear them 5+ hours at a time. If you want good bass make sure you get the standard ones. The dynamics are said to be weaker in that area. Also, I used the close back version which somewhat dampens the noise of the listening environment.

They cost about $105 at amazon.

surreal
07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Dont listen to anyone here except the dude who reccomended Audio Technica. Them, sennheiser, etc.. Those are real headphones. Dont get anything with a mic, its 99% a gimmick and theyll be crap.
Hope you have a good sound card :)

Checkout headfi

wone
07-20-2011, 04:05 AM
i have a pair of bose headphones and some beats by dre too
pm me for a great price

E-Rock
07-20-2011, 04:30 AM
I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. They are extremely comfortable and have excellent soundstage. My buddy had a pair of Sennheiser's that were comparable but had a little more bass and weren't as comfortable. I would also recommend checking out some Grado's as well.

Do not fall for the Dre Beats hype. They are just a fashion statement. The ones that cost like $300 when they first came out sounded no better than the AT's that I own.

If I ever get some more spare cash, my next set of headphones will be Denon D-5000's with some upgrades and whatever awesome amp I can find. Just be sure that your music files are of good quality and if on the PC have a good sound card. I have an HT-Omega in my comp.

denim
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM

I was just eyeing up a set a few days ago, need to see if I can afford them first.

Kangaroux
07-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I was just eyeing up a set a few days ago, need to see if I can afford them first.

HD280's are only like $80ish and they sound great

Vossy
07-20-2011, 02:15 PM
+1 on the Image Ones, I bought em last week. Sound excellent

Kangaroux
07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
i have a pair of bose headphones and some beats by dre too
pm me for a great price

I'll pass thanks.

Kangaroux
07-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Anyone have experience with the Audio Technica M50's? They go for about $150 new which is a bit more than I am willing to be spending but they definitely look nice.

As for a sound card, would this work well? Never bought a hi-fi sound card before, I'm just using a cheap one right now for 5.1 support

Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001)

Alternatively they have a nicer version but its twice as expensive. I'm sure I would notice a difference to some degree but is it really worth double the price?

Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002)

Kangaroux
07-21-2011, 07:08 PM
^^^

Bassin Buick
08-06-2011, 01:02 AM
I am partial to my sansui SS-60's. LOL

Dirtrider4eva
08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
AERIAL7 | Headphones & Earbuds | iPod iPhone Android Blackberry Skype (http://www.aerial7.com/product/tank/shade/)
i own these. have for about two years. love them. but them up against my buddies dre beats, my bass sounded better, his highs were a bit nicer.
overall ,i love them for the money.
owned a pair of the bose in ear, two pairs, both of the times the wires sorted out in the jack, f'em.
http://www.aerial7.com/pictures/01310-0001t.jpg

Kangaroux
08-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Hmm was moving around my comp and noticed the motherboard has a built in optical output...im curious as to how decent the signal is. Might pick up a optical to rca out or something and see how it sounds

Bassin Buick
08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Hmm was moving around my comp and noticed the motherboard has a built in optical output...im curious as to how decent the signal is. Might pick up a optical to rca out or something and see how it soundsLOL , good luck finding a cable like that. HAHAHAHA! Optical is a laser , with a straight digital signal across it. uses fiber optic cable to transfer signal from output to the amplifier's input. Cable is called a toslink.