PDA

View Full Version : Which Kenwood to get?

osmith
07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
So, I've been looking at head units and I've finally narrowed it down to one brand, Kenwood, but now I have to narrow it down to one head unit, haha. The three I'm Looking at are:

Excelon 995 Kenwood - KDC-X995 (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/1-Din_CD_Receivers/KDC-X995)

Excelon 895 Kenwood - KDC-X895 (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/1-Din_CD_Receivers/KDC-X895)

And the Excelon 794 from last year http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX794/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X794.html?search=kenwood+excelon+794&tp=5684

Anybody owned any or all of these? Any input would be appreciated.

Bumpin' Goalie
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
There is a X-993 for sale in the classifieds, too. :)

Just to add more options. Personally, they'll all do what you want, minus active x-overs. If you need/want Bluetooth, factor that in.

osmith
07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for letting me know, but I'm not interested in buying used. Refurbs are cool but no used equipment.

Bumpin' Goalie
07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Alright, then out of the 3 you posted, you can't go wrong. Do you want BT? Which button layout do you prefer? If cost isn't an issue, the 995 seems to be well received.

osmith
07-14-2011, 09:32 PM
As far as bt I probably won't use it much. I prefer the looks of the 995 and 794 a little better however I like that the 895 as front aux and usb. I was hoping someone on here had messed with the different button layouts and had a suggestion as to which was easier to operate and navigate.

USAFbro
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
ive got the 794 and i love that thing to death. best sounding headunit ive ever experienced. definatly worth the money imo. but, if you want bluetooth or front aux and usb. the 794 isnt for you although, rear inputs are much cleaner looking. just route it to the glove box and no one will ever know :)

kingmanbc
07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
buy my dnx 6960, I want to upgrade

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:03 PM
ive got the 794 and i love that thing to death. best sounding headunit ive ever experienced. definatly worth the money imo. but, if you want bluetooth or front aux and usb. the 794 isnt for you although, rear inputs are much cleaner looking. just route it to the glove box and no one will ever know

How easy is it to navigate the menus?

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:04 PM
buy my dnx 6960, I want to upgrade

How much? Haha:D

crosjr
07-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I have the x995 and I like it. Everything you've read about screen glare is true, it's tough sometimes. If you set the colors and contrast right then you should be fine. I am using red to match my dash lights and can see it pretty well outside of direct sunlight. It has a ton of options and I mean a ton. Definitely download the manual from Kenwood site and take a look before you buy. I have not had a chance to really nail down the TA settings, but they are there and seem easy enough to configure. 5 band equalizer is a little limiting, it has set frequencies, but decent enough. The menu navigation takes a little getting used to due to lack of buttons but once you get the hang of it, it is no problem. Built in HD radio is nice but not really many stations here, which I found to be odd. (DC area) If you do purchase it, I HIGHLY recommend turning off the "Supreme+" option. It's like bass and tweeter boost from hell. If you are planning on using USB flash drive keep in mind the folders are limited to 255 files. However, Kenwood has a decent little playlist creator that gets you around that limitation. That's about all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

kingmanbc
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
how much? Haha:d
600 :p

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
I have the x995 and I like it. Everything you've read about screen glare is true, it's tough sometimes. If you set the colors and contrast right then you should be fine. I am using red to match my dash lights and can see it pretty well outside of direct sunlight. It has a ton of options and I mean a ton. Definitely download the manual from Kenwood site and take a look before you buy. I have not had a chance to really nail down the TA settings, but they are there and seem easy enough to configure. 5 band equalizer is a little limiting, it has set frequencies, but decent enough. The menu navigation takes a little getting used to due to lack of buttons but once you get the hang of it, it is no problem. Built in HD radio is nice but not really many stations here, which I found to be odd. (DC area) If you do purchase it, I HIGHLY recommend turning off the "Supreme+" option. It's like bass and tweeter boost from hell. If you are planning on using USB flash drive keep in mind the folders are limited to 255 files. However, Kenwood has a decent little playlist creator that gets you around that limitation. That's about all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Awesome input! Thanks for the breakdown!!

USAFbro
07-14-2011, 10:22 PM
How easy is it to navigate the menus?

that is the only thing. it takes some time to learn it, but once you do, its easy. and your friend in the passenger seat wont mess around with it cuz he'll be mad confused lol

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:26 PM
600 :p

Yeah, that's about double my price range, lol. If I could afford it I'd love to have it.

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:27 PM
that is the only thing. it takes some time to learn it, but once you do, its easy. and your friend in the passenger seat wont mess around with it cuz he'll be mad confused lol

Haha, good point! Are there any other negatives you can think of?

kingmanbc
07-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Anyone have the new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995? - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/100570-anyone-have-new-kenwood-excelon-kdc-x995.html)

osmith
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the link. As far as just sound quality will there be much difference in the 995 and 794?

osmith
07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I Think I have decided on the 794 because it can be had for about $150 and all the fancy colors of the newer units aren't really something I care about, haha.

Bumpin' Goalie
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I Think I have decided on the 794 because it can be had for about $150 and all the fancy colors of the newer units aren't really something I care about, haha.

Enjoy. :) The 794 may take a minute to get used to. But once you have it down, it's all pretty easy and straight forward. The 5-way knob is convenient, as is the remote.

I'm still partial to the layout of the 693/993, but the features and so on are just going to increase with time.

osmith
07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Enjoy. The 794 may take a minute to get used to. But once you have it down, it's all pretty easy and straight forward. The 5-way knob is convenient, as is the remote.

I'm still partial to the layout of the 693/993, but the features and so on are just going to increase with time.

Yeah, most new setups are hard to get used to at first, lol. I think the thing I will miss the most is my current unit has a subwoofer button which takes you right to all subwoofer options. But, overall I say this unit will make me much happier.

Bumpin' Goalie
07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, most new setups are hard to get used to at first, lol. I think the thing I will miss the most is my current unit has a subwoofer button which takes you right to all subwoofer options. But, overall I say this unit will make me much happier.

Subwoofer control will only be a click or two away still. :)