PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to tweek your EQ or leave it flat

i2ain2thunder
07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Just curious, I want to mess with my EQ and I'm sure theres a way to make the SQ better using it, but every time I mess with mine (3 band parametric) I always seem to like putting back to flat best, don't know why.

Buck
07-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I have a 7 band graphic right now and mine is flat (9887).

i2ain2thunder
07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
hrm forgot to make poll public sawry

whitedragon551
07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Tweaker for sure.

RAM_Designs
07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Tweaker for sure.

x2, I don't see how you can keep it flat if you want the response curve to be smooth from midbass on up. I still need to hook up my Arc MEQ-31 and see how I like that better than the one I have on my 8053.

UMWDawg92
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM

I have a 9887 and its on the 5 band parametric eq, I tweak it pretty often

Buck
07-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Most of the time I can't even here my mids very well, just my bass. Equalizing is one of the last things on my list.

Joseph7195
07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I am a tweaker for sure. I am sure there is music out there that wouldn't need much tweaking, but I can't leave well enough alone. If it doesn't sound like I am in the recording studio, or at the concert, I am probably on the laptop moving switches....

IonRL205
07-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I had mine set to flat with my old subs, will probably tweak the EQ when I get my new sub in.

Sleeklsc
07-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I leave mine (3200dvd 8band) for the most part flat. One of these days i might fiddle with it but i'm not nearly as big of a tweaker as when I was younger.

kmanian
07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
why have one if you are not gonna tweek?

i2ain2thunder
07-12-2011, 11:38 PM
bcuz it comes with the HU? duh, but yeah i been thinking bout tweeking it is all...i can't seem to get it to sound better than flat though so I was kinda getting a feel for how other dudes roll.

ejschultz
07-24-2011, 08:54 AM
At lower volumes sometimes some of the factory presets sound better than flat because they emphasize the bass. Since I usually don't listen at lower volumes and sometimes run my fronts full range, I run with my EQ flat 99% of the time. I'm trying to get a decent USB mic to use my RTA software to try and get a better response curve, but for now, flat is good enough.

KyleBechtold
07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Most of the time I can't even here my mids very well, just my bass. Equalizing is one of the last things on my list.

your doing it wrong then.. I understand at full tilt but at listening levels you should be able to hear em.. if not then you might as well go the cheap route and get pro audio since you won't need the mid range..

got-one-eight
08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I tweek daily.. Regular cab trucks are a pain in the azz to get right. My g/f's stupid Neon sounds awesome with cheaper parts. I guess it all depends on your situation.

jco1385
08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
this is mines from when i had to unhook the battery the other day (took pic to put it back the same)

it's not much of an EQ, but it does help vs being flat

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/jco1385/DSCF0046.jpg

xxxbasshead
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM

this except i have a 9855 which is only 5 bands

ejschultz
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
That depends on the setting you have it on. It has a 5 band PEQ or a 7 band GEQ. The 9887 has the same functionality.

zako
08-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Every time I mess around with EQ, eventually I end up going to flat EQ. This is what seems to sound best with my speakers. The answer is probably dependent on the speakers.

Bassin Buick
08-30-2011, 02:52 AM
i had a alpine 9855 and preferred to keep defeat activated.

Chriszle
08-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Depends. In some vehicles, I have felt the need to tweek, depending on what song I am playing. Currently, I have my eq flat and everything I play sounds good to me.

artg
08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
what about loudness? on or off?

i2ain2thunder
08-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Well what I've heard other people say is makes no difference if you run it on or off...but to me it seems to add a lot of distortion. I leave it off for protection and longevity of my speakers.

BnGRacing
08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
My thoughts on EQs is you should set it and never touch it again.

You EQ your system so that you get the best response possible from the car & equipment; it has nothing to do with what music you're listening to. Most, if not all, EQs that you'll find in a HU ****. They either sound bad, don't give you the flexibility you need, and I'm not aware of any affordable HU w/an EQ that has different settings for the Left and Right channels.

That last part is key as your car's interior is not symmetrical; so the response will be different on either side.

With that, I'll tweak once and never touch it again unless I change crossover points or the speakers.

i2ain2thunder
08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
My thoughts on EQs is you should set it and never touch it again.

You EQ your system so that you get the best response possible from the car & equipment; it has nothing to do with what music you're listening to. Most, if not all, EQs that you'll find in a HU ****. They either sound bad, don't give you the flexibility you need, and I'm not aware of any affordable HU w/an EQ that has different settings for the Left and Right channels.

That last part is key as your car's interior is not symmetrical; so the response will be different on either side.

With that, I'll tweak once and never touch it again unless I change crossover points or the speakers.

I think everyone wants to tune their EQ just once and never touch it again. Thing is you can have it perfect for the music you're listening to and some other kind of music it sounds like crap. You either have diff presets or make one thats all around the best for you. That being said eq changes affect different instruments in different ways and tends to create peaks/valleys very easily if you don't know what you are doing...therefore a lot of people that halfway know what they're doing leave it flat. IMO the only ones who don't have it flat seem to be those who are really picky and know what they are doing or its people who have garbage systems and are trying their hardest to compensate to make it sound decent.

I'm just kind of curious how people go about setting it, I figured take one frequency band at a time and adjust to find what sounds best for that frequency, the issue I run into is that adjusting that to sound it's best will affect the rest of the eq and now some other band might sound worse, I end up not being able to find an effective way to set it except just playing around with it and listening to every change for hours and hours. Is that really the best/easiest way to do it?

bhsdriller
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
this is mines from when i had to unhook the battery the other day (took pic to put it back the same)

it's not much of an EQ, but it does help vs being flat

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/jco1385/DSCF0046.jpg

I hate it when I take off my battery and it resets everything....Then you have to go in and try to remember where everything was

BnGRacing
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I think everyone wants to tune their EQ just once and never touch it again. Thing is you can have it perfect for the music you're listening to and some other kind of music it sounds like crap.

That's why you EQ for the car and not the music you're listening to. If the system is set up right, everything will sound good or, at the least, it will reveal poor recordings. When you try to make a poorly recorded piece of music sound good via EQing, you run into the problem you've stated before.

I'm generally pretty good at hearing weird peaks in a car but my ears are not a substitute for an RTA.

thisistiny
08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
what about loudness? on or off?

People elaborate more on this please? I know it sends clipping signals. But I do keep mine on low. I have a pioneer avh-4200dvd

Sub Woofin
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
tweak

dumple
08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
i do tweak it but only above like 600 hz usually

i2ain2thunder
08-30-2011, 08:07 PM
yeah IDK i've ony ever mest with it with crap systems, decent systems always sound really nice flat to me I always figured that was because the speakers were better at playing a flat response, outside of that in a good system I usually just match levels until its all even and leave the EQ flat. Seems to be a lot of people that like tweakin though so I'm gonna start getting insane and spending time tuning my EQ I guess.

ejschultz
08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
People elaborate more on this please? I know it sends clipping signals. But I do keep mine on low. I have a pioneer avh-4200dvd

I don't think it necessarily matters for loudness. Essentially, it boosts the bass and treble when listening to music at lower volumes. At higher volumes, it should have no effect. The effect it has at higher volumes will depend on the quality of your HU and the way you've set your gains. Your Pioneer, I believe, has a maximum volume of 62, like most Pioneers. Good Pioneer HUs will maintain an unclipped signal at the preouts up to 60. The last two notches give you a little extra punch, but that punch is clipped. I'd imagine if you had the gain set properly with the HU maxing at 60, you should have little to no effect from the loudness feature at that volume. If you set the gain on your amplifiers at a lower volume on the HU, the loudness will have more of an effect on the sound quality. Generally, most people don't recommend using the loudness feature. I don't use it on my 800PRS. I've played around with it, but I keep it off.