PDA

View Full Version : Heah Unit problem...might be fried.

needlessthing
07-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Have a Pioneer deh 6800mp for the last couple of years..not a single problem with it.
So i build a custom sub box and move my amps to the spare tire wheel well. Everything is running fine but with the hot weather the sub amp sometimes over heats and goes into safe mode. No problem so I decide to wire up three 120mm fans. I am doing some other aftermarket wiring under the dash. I hand my friend the 3 fans and a relay and some wire to hook them up to make sure they work before I mount them. Told him to go off the remote wire for the relay...well he isnt a dumb guy so I assume he knows what he is doing...WRONG...he wires all 3 fans drectly to the remote wire. tells me to turn the head unit on...So I go ahead turn on the music and let it run for a min. Just as soon as said the fans are running. I hear a pop and the head unit shuts off and wont come back on. I check his work and yell at him for being an idiot then I start checking fuses. All seem ok...so it has to be something internal. Any idea what i need to fix it? i am pretty good at fixing things, just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any Idea where the power on control is on the board? Going to rip it apart today to have a look.

Imtjnotu
07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
for the love of god i hope its not the pico fuse

needlessthing
07-07-2011, 07:21 AM
can the pico be soldered if it is?
someone else posted that this head unit should turn on with the Pico fuses blown...so i dont think it is those. i figured that the 10amp fuse in the back of the head unit would have blown and protected it but nope...just stood there and did nothing...ugh.

whitedragon551
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
can the pico be soldered if it is?
someone else posted that this head unit should turn on with the Pico fuses blown...so i dont think it is those. i figured that the 10amp fuse in the back of the head unit would have blown and protected it but nope...just stood there and did nothing...ugh.

Change it anyway. Just because a fuse looks good doesnt mean it is.

keep_hope_alive
07-07-2011, 07:17 PM
The pico fuse/diode is commonly misunderstood. It is unrelated to your problem.

Start by disconnecting anything wired to the remote. The external fuse won't pop unless you draw more than it's rating, which you didn't. I fuse my remote wires for 0.5A. Just last night I wired a relay off my HU remote for 3 amps, a crossover, and some fans and LED's.

Lesson learned: always double or triple check connections before power up and don't assume someone didn't make a mistake.

needlessthing
07-08-2011, 04:51 AM
ok checked everything. took a muilti meter and made sure power was getting to the head unit. All was good. Head unit still not turning on. Even hit the HU reset button. Still nothing. So I went ahead took the HU out...took it all apart. Checked every fuse resistor cap everything. Multimeter checked every where I could. Even found the Pioneer repair manual on line. I went nuts for hours could fine a single thing blow or not getting current. No out of spec resistance or anything wrong at all. So I said F it and put it all back to gether and figured I would put it back in the car so I didn't have to look a DIN sized hole in my dash till I got a new head unit. Started the car to go get some coffee....Head Unit comes on and goes into demo mode. Switch to USB to see if it plays music....and bam music comes on clear as a bell. Drove around all day HU ran fine like nothing was wrong. I am at a complete lose as to how it magicly came back alive but I am thankful it did. I am still scratching my head...

needlessthing
07-08-2011, 04:53 AM
oh and now my fans are hooked up (the right way) and all is well.