PDA

View Full Version : Aero port question

TWiZTiD859
06-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I was wanting a new enclosure for my sub but I was thinking what if I just changed my aeros or added some more? Im trying to get more port area and a lower tuning. My box right now has 2 4" ports that are,I think,around 12-13" long including the flares. The enclosure is supposed to be roughly 4cbft and tuned to around 35-36hz. I am wanting more port area for my sub b/c I dont think the 2 4" ports are enough to get the most out of my sub. And I would also like to drop the tuning to around 32hz. If I replaced the 2 4" ports for 2 6" ports how much port area would that give me and what length would they need to be to get a tuning around 32hz? Or what if I added one or two more 4" ports? How long should they be and what would the port area be then?

Im just trying to save some money by not buying a new enclosure. Any suggestions?

Sub is a 15" Ascendant Audio Havoc,if you need to know that. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks

Ryan shaw
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
2 4" aero's are plenty for that box. Adding two 6" ports would be nearly impossible to get a reasonable tune, ports would have to be very long.

Right now I calculate you're tuned to around 34hz. You would need 2-3" more to get to a 32hz tune

TWiZTiD859
06-28-2011, 11:35 PM
I dont know anything about box building/tuning,especially aero ports. So I wasnt sure if 2 4" would be enough port area or not. But if you say 2 4" is plenty then I will just leave it alone. Im not 100% sure they are 12-13" long so the tuning might be higher or lower than 34hz. I would have to go outside and measure them to be sure. The enclosure was originally designed for a 15" AQ HD3,not a HDC3,and the tune was supposed to be around 36hz thats why Im thinking the ports are not 12-13". So to get a lower tuning you use a longer port and a higher tune would be a shorter port length? I may just buy some extra straight port tube and add a few inches to get the tuning I want.

RAM_Designs
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
I dont know anything about box building/tuning,especially aero ports. So I wasnt sure if 2 4" would be enough port area or not. But if you say 2 4" is plenty then I will just leave it alone. Im not 100% sure they are 12-13" long so the tuning might be higher or lower than 34hz. I would have to go outside and measure them to be sure. The enclosure was originally designed for a 15" AQ HD3,not a HDC3,and the tune was supposed to be around 36hz thats why Im thinking the ports are not 12-13". So to get a lower tuning you use a longer port and a higher tune would be a shorter port length? I may just buy some extra straight port tube and add a few inches to get the tuning I want.

Yes.