PDA

View Full Version : Sub box tuning questions...

skogie1
06-28-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm new to this and learning fast....

I've got 2 Kicker compvr 10" subs, 400w rms running off an alpine mrp m-1000 amp, 2 ohm wiring.
The enclosure I've got is a q-logic box that is tuned to 38hz and is 2 cubic ft total, 1 cubic ft per sub. Not sure if that includes the displacement of the driver or the port volume. Also, not sure what it means to include or exclude the port volume in the first place!
Q-Logic QLH-1.0010DS Type 2 dual 10" hatchback box at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BWp2oBuSFz2/p_044H1010DS/Q-Logic-QLH-1-0010DS.html)

The Kicker site recommends a minimum volume of 1.25 and a maximum volume of 1.75 per sub in a ported box (excluding port volume, whatever that means). Since my box is a little small I added 2 lbs of poly fiber fill.

So... does poly fiber change the tuning frequency? Does it make it lower? Are there advantages to a lower tuned box and should I do anything to achieve a lower response? The kicker site doesn't say anything about an optimal tuning frequency for these subs, does such a thing exist? Would adding more fiber fill bring out a lower bass sound?

Thanks in advance.

surreal
06-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Such a thing exists only to match your listening preferences.
Stuffing the chambers will make them appear larger and will indeed lower tuning.