PDA

View Full Version : Why would my speakers be overpowered?

ErnMcCracken
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Well I already know i'm ditching my Viper 550.2 components for something better. But with the Vipers I had them running off a PPI PCX480 amp. Now when I turn my deck up to 3/4 full volume the light inside the viper crossover goes on telling me i'm about to blow the tweeter/speaker. But Why? The PPI puts out only 80rms a channel, Vipers hold 100rms and I only had the gain half way up. I have my crossovers set on -6db and my headunit is all set on 0treble,bass and mid. So why would they be about to blow?

nosaj070
02-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Well first i believe PPI's are somewhat underrated, so you can maybe even expect about 100 watts. Also gain set at half may be a little high(im not saying thats too bad). So it may be sending it right over the rms, which would just have the light burn off a little power, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

helotaxi
02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
The light is there to keep the tweet from getting too much power and to keep it from getting overly bright. You are not about to blow it just because the light is coming on. Actually the light is "on" any time you are running power to the speakers, but it is not bright enough for you to see it until you turn it up a bit. Nothing to worry about.