PDA

View Full Version : need some help. box for a 6.5 sub with a plate amp tuned LOW.

mat3833
06-24-2011, 01:48 PM
ok, so i built a tapped horn a few days ago and the misses banned it from the house. she threatened to destroy the thing if i played it in the house again. aparently she has a problem with windows rattling, soooooo looks like im building a new box. ill be using a diferent sub and amp than what i used for the TH enclosure.

problem is i cant seem to get the tuning right for the life of me..... the enclosure that the sub was in was 9.5" x 9.8" x 10.2" tuned to about 51-52hz. i want to aim for about 28hz and i remember reading that lower tuning likes larger boxes. now i have no idea what the specs are on this sub. the plate amp will be putting out about 75w and the sub in the old enclosure seems to play prety **** hard for a 6.5.

if possible id like the box to be a cube. there isnt really a space limit but i dont want to have a 2 cube box for a 6.5 sub. ill be using half inch MDF and i will be putting the plate amp on the side of the box like it is designed.

thanks in advance guys

Matt

Buck
06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Your guess is going to be good as anybody's guess, because we know nothing about this woofer.

RAM_Designs
06-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Give us some info on the speaker.

mat3833
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM
well its the 6.5 sub from the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 settup. that is all i kno about the sub. tried finding specs on it, even emailed Klipsch. but they wouldnt give me anything.

Matt

Slo_Ride
06-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Get rid of the misses.

skylineTT
06-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Get rid of the misses.

best advice.

just build a cube with a 3" port. cant be too hard to get 28hz.

build the box 16" wide, 16" deep, and 15" tall, and a 13" aero port will give you 28hz

surreal
06-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Dont make the box a cube. Reasonance hell.
Buy a sub you have the specs of.
Get a new girlfriend (keep the misses for food and after hours interaction)

elancohen92
06-27-2011, 02:20 AM
best advice.

just build a cube with a 3" port. cant be too hard to get 28hz.

build the box 16" wide, 16" deep, and 15" tall, and a 13" aero port will give you 28hz

only problem is that is HUGE. i would shoot for .6 -.75 of a cube after displacements

surreal
06-27-2011, 02:29 AM
.6 for a 6.5? That little thing probably isnt too optimal of a ported woofer and probably has a decent Q..
If you want, Ill do you up a generic tapered tline out of curiosity thatll (theoretically) give you good extension. Shoot me a PM with info on what you want to do, where youll be firing the enclosure, and how low you want it to rolloff.
But when you build it you have to let me know how it worked out.

mat3833
06-27-2011, 12:54 PM
the reason im using this sub is because i have it already, it is pretty beefy, and the Tang Bands have gotten über expensive.

id like a slot port if possible, its not gong to be in a corner, not enough space. but it will be by a bookshelf with the back against the wall and the port firing towards the TV stand with the sub firing either up or away from the bookshelf. beware, crappy DIY diagram below

Sub is here

dimension wise i have plenty of space from the TV to the wall, and from the floor up. width i have a max of 9 or 10" might be able to squeeze a foot but id like to aim for 9 inches.

its a small room. maybe 10ft by 13ft? and when i moved the Klipsch settup in the room it sounded good, i just wanted lower extension. so i built the TH enclosure with an 8" no name i had laying around and that backfired. lol. honestly i just want a generic ported box tuned to 28hz. im going to find out the driver displacment here when i get home so that you guys at least have some idea of the size of this thing. im not looking for "OMG! thats ONLY a 6.5! wow!!!" i just want it to be able to play lower than the 50hz it was tuned too.

and as for replacing the misses, cant really do that. the two kids wont let me. lol

and surreal ill hit you up when i get home. not supposed to be using work comps for "pleasure" meh

Matt

mat3833
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
sigh, the diagram wont work. ill draw something up on paint when i get home

oh and the sub was in a ported enclosure from the factory. it was just tuned really high.

Matt