PDA

View Full Version : Not understanding why this happened?

ErnMcCracken
02-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Well I have a PPI 4 PCX 480 running to a set of Viper 550.2 components up front. Now I have the doors deadenedpretty well but my midbass is weak, clarity ***** at high volumes and the light inside the crossover housing keeps going on(telling me i'm gonna blow them) but I only have the gain halfway up. Mind you the PPI puts out 80x4, the Vipers should be able to handle 100rms. So why am I having this problem? So i'm thinking maybe some Bostons Pro's(had them before in older car sounded great) but there a 3ohm speaker and not sure if I will run into any problems with that. I want to run the rear 2 channels of the PPI to a single 10" for some bass. I need some help with my system.

xjmadness
02-19-2004, 12:35 AM
if your getting distortion at higher volumes, then i'd definitely look into getter different/better speakers. Shouldn't run into any problems w/ the 3 ohm speaker. in fact, the amp should put out more power at 3 ohms then 4 ohms.

preunnerv6
02-20-2004, 01:12 PM
What are your x-over settings?? Have you tested with phasing? You could be getting cancellation.

Midbass and clarity have been the rave points of many Viper owners.

Pete
02-23-2004, 12:06 AM
I'd say double check phasing and how the speakers are aimed you are probably having problems with one of those things. they will both cause cancellation and combing effects that make it sound not so great.