PDA

View Full Version : best metering location???

grandam888
06-18-2011, 12:28 PM
i will be competing in USACI Super Modified class for the first time next month.

First question is, according to rules of this class, i can meter @ dash or @ kick panel, which of the two would give better results?

I have seen videos of people metering with door open, does this give better results? and is it legal?

Kangaroux
06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
dash and sealed is legal AFAIK, most people gain a little bit when doing it in the kick with the door open, all depends on your setup tho

MONSONwarrior
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm like .4 db higher in kick, door cracked, than legal sealed.

MONSONwarrior
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
What kinda vehicle do you have?

hispls
06-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Buy, borrow, or steal a meter. Absolutely no way to tell without metering. People who are really good can build a wall or box to get louder at various spots depending on the org they most care to compete in. For me I have gained anywhere from .3 to 1db from the dash to to kick (sealed, same car different box), but I know guys who gain more than 2dB! Also if you're allowed to crack the doors/windows, the amount you open them makes a big difference.

grandam888
06-18-2011, 02:47 PM
i metered to day from kick, did 147db, and metered from port 162db. didn't get to meter from dash

thegreatestpenn
06-18-2011, 03:02 PM
usually higher in the kick compared to the dash. i've only seen a small percentage of vehicles louder on the dash than in the kick

grandam888
06-18-2011, 03:07 PM
my numbers actually went up quite a bit, my number in the port went to 162db from 150.4, and i went from 144 on the dash to 147db in the kick. i will probably run super port wars as in my area people aren't hitting above 167 in the port, if i tweak some stuff and put in roof supports and go up on port area, i think i can pull a 168+. im not planning on going to finals yet, i am not that serious about it.

i went from a 7.7 cubic foot box @ 35 hz to a 4.79 cubic ft box @ 45 hz.

thegreatestpenn
06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
for port wars you may not want a bigger port, but rather a thinner port for more velocity. I've seen a vehicle hit 162 on the dash, but only 163 in the port because the port was too big. whereas another vehicle hitting 142 at the dash hit 164 because their port was small with great velocity

cthedinger
06-18-2011, 03:38 PM
As I told you earlier today I do not think you would have to run Super mod. I think you can run stock or super stock. I just re-read the rules and I could not find anything that says having your headliner out counts as an interior modification.

This is straight from USACi's website "* INTERIOR MODIFICATION LIMITS: No constructed enclosure or speaker placement that may manipulate the SPL sensor may be placed forward of the "B" pillar and will be considered reason to reclassify the vehicle to the Port Wars or Super Port Wars divisions or disqualification. This decision will be at the discretion of the head judge. Factory or factory replacement front seats must be installed in the vehicle in factory locations. Must have the front bench or both front seats. No woofers larger than 8" inches may be forward of the "B" pillars."

If you were to put fiberglass/ mdf on your roof then you would be in mod or super mod.

grandam888
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Awesome. I guess I should wait on bracing the roof also to retain being able to run the stock classes also.

Phoenix Risen
06-20-2011, 01:40 PM
for port wars you may not want a bigger port, but rather a thinner port for more velocity. I've seen a vehicle hit 162 on the dash, but only 163 in the port because the port was too big. whereas another vehicle hitting 142 at the dash hit 164 because their port was small with great velocity

it was actually 165.4 in the port when i had my 12. im assuming im who you were talking about...