PDA

View Full Version : SMD Distortion Detector Testing and Review!

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Well here it is...now i'm not the best a written reviews..(hell not even video reviews..lol) But all in all i can say this is a **** good lil device right here! One of the guys that i distortion detected actually gained in the lanes too! Anyway...you guys know what it does...and it does it good! Detects down to 1% harmonic distortion....and will allow you to find your maximum undistorted volume on your head unit ...more coming up on that later...Here's a vid...I was a little outta there on the review so bare with me..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riFnPd_uYA

AND HERE IS THE ACTUAL INFORMAL VID.....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNoZbPYqbg

sleazebagger
06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
My buddy built one of these about 7 years ago. to bad he never got a patent, sent the specs to china and had it produced.

He still brings it over every time I need my gains checked. I'll post up a pic of the raw model.

bhsdriller
06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
too expensive

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
too expensive

139 isn't bad for what it does. Twisted I'm sending you shipping fees so I can borrow :D

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
139 isn't bad for what it does. Twisted I'm sending you shipping fees so I can borrow :D

Considering you can buy a handheld scope for that price, I'd say it's too expensive...

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Considering you can buy a handheld scope for that price, I'd say it's too expensive...

Scopes don't show distortion though sir. Generally distortion happens before clipping.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Scopes don't show distortion though sir. Generally distortion happens before clipping.

Ehh, I think I have to disagree with you. Distortion in this case is referring to clipping. If they're just checking gain placement then all it's checking is for a clipped signal. THD = Total Harmonic Distortion. A clipped sine wave creates harmonics which are the cause of the distortion.

bhsdriller
06-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Can they be ordered without his signature and the SMD

Phoenix Risen
06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Can they be ordered without his signature and the SMD

x20

thats the biggest reason i dont want to buy one.

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Ehh, I think I have to disagree with you. Distortion in this case is referring to clipping. If they're just checking gain placement then all it's checking is for a clipped signal. THD = Total Harmonic Distortion. A clipped sine wave creates harmonics which are the cause of the distortion.

This isn't checking for a clipped signal solely distortion. From what I can gather it's sole purpose is to get the cleanest signal. You have have your gain set perfectly (as far as not clipping) but still have a distorted signal. Even if you disagree with me twisteds test showing his buddy gaining dbs from this machine is worth it to me.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
This isn't checking for a clipped signal solely distortion. From what I can gather it's sole purpose is to get the cleanest signal. You have have your gain set perfectly (as far as not clipping) but still have a distorted signal. Even if you disagree with me twisteds test showing his buddy gaining dbs from this machine is worth it to me.

Where do you think that distortion comes from if not from clipping?

supermaxx123
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I have to agree with bubb that a clean signal should not distort. I think that guy gained db's due the fact that he didn't set his gain up as high as he could by hear. He was keeping it on the safe side then found out it could safely go higher.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

nice device either way, Only thing an oscope doesn't have is the simplicity of the cd/led light.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I have to agree with bubb that a clean signal should not distort. I think that guy gained db's due the fact that he didn't set his gain up as high as he could by hear. He was keeping it on the safe side then found out it could safely go higher.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

nice device either way, Only thing an oscope doesn't have is the simplicity of the cd/led light.

exactly

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 01:09 PM

As I stated before "from what I can grasp". I'm in no way and exprert just someone who's read all about this device. Here's one test with numbers if it helps.
new product - "Distortion Detector"..NEW PICS page 22 Video Update page 26 - SMD Forum - Page 37 (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/96947-new-product-distortion-detectornew-pics-page-22-video-update-page-26/page__st__720)

smd4life
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
i would like to see one beside a o-scope....in the vid that meade posted you cant see the screen on the o scope

ahole-ic
06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
As I stated before "from what I can grasp". I'm in no way and exprert just someone who's read all about this device. Here's one test with numbers if it helps.
new product - "Distortion Detector"..NEW PICS page 22 Video Update page 26 - SMD Forum - Page 37 (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/96947-new-product-distortion-detectornew-pics-page-22-video-update-page-26/page__st__720)
Pulse car audio explains to you that it is simply measuring whether or not the signal is clipped in your link. You disproved your own point.

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Pulse car audio explains to you that it is simply measuring whether or not the signal is clipped in your link. You disproved your own point.

I fail then.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
No worries mate :)

smd4life
06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
I fail then.

someone oughta put that in there sig....

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
No worries mate :)

Seems handy none the less.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

someone oughta put that in there sig....

Go ahead.

Slayerx
06-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Cool device. Not worth the price for me, I'm not.continually changing my set up nor compete. If I could get it for <$50 I'd consider it.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Seems handy none the less.

Yeah I agree it's handy, just too expensive for what it is...

smd4life
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
the only reason i wouldn't buy it is it doesn't look that accurate, in the picture he has it next to an o-scope thats not clipping yet the light is on? thats probly safer but for 140 bucks the thing better be spot on

Falcons
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
guys twisted proved it worked lol. its not the best godly device ever lol its 149 bucks or whatever. it is just a very simple way to set your gains. if you dont like it dont buy it, but dont not buy it just because meade created it...

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
the only reason i wouldn't buy it is it doesn't look that accurate, in the picture he has it next to an o-scope thats not clipping yet the light is on? thats probly safer but for 140 bucks the thing better be spot on

That's what I was originally meaning. It shows the signal isn't being clipped but there's distortion it picked up. It doesn't pick up clipping it picks up distortion. However that works. Bubba maybe you can elaborate more

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
How much does a GOOD O-scope cost is the question..lol

Also since i'm no technical wizard.... This is what TonyD'Amore said....

I know it's hard to grasp the concept of distortion if there is no clipping. I will try to get some good pictures from my bench, showing the SMD DD-1 in action. For now, check out this picture of a distorted sine wave vs. a clean sine wave. Your little hand-held scope is not going to tell you about this, it may show it on the screen but unless you have robot eyes you aren't going to know what you are looking at. Hell, you have to look closely at those little LCD displays even to see clipping!

http://www.amplifier.cd/Tutorial/Klirrfaktor/images/Klirrfaktor_3.gif

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Also since i'm no technical wizard.... This is what TonyD'Amore said....

Same graph I wanted to post but I'm on phone and that's too much work ha ha. So can I borrow it?

ahole-ic
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
In order for the smd meter to detect that, it would need to be able to compare the source signal with the output signal. It doesn't have that capability before anyone chimes in and states that this thing is measuring distortion and not just clipping.

hispls
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Ummm looks like a clipped signal to me. If this tests "distortion" what's its point of reference?

Some ppl will buy it just because it sais SMD on it, some people would never buy it for the same reason.

Pborcich
06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Good **** twisted!

smd4life
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
meade has an account here...maybe he can chime in

tuckintaco93
06-15-2011, 02:26 PM
id like to have one or use one but dont have the money to drop on something liike this now....if someone with one will be at scrpain the coast this month then mabe they could help set my gains

Falcons
06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

he is prolly at work right now. he does roofing which prolly goes till 5-6o'clock and i doubt his first priority when he gets home is to get on here. if anything he'll be on smd.

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Another quote from some random dude....

Are people really this hard-headed? It's easy.
Clean signal--->distortion--->clipping.

Clean is good. That's what you want. This will pick up DISTORTION. Some people don't care if their sound gets distorted. That's fine, your car, do what you want. Distortion=/=Clipping. A scope will ONLY show you when you're clipping. Distortion will occur BEFORE clipping will.

If you don't have a scope right now, then this DD-1 is (seems like, no personal experience lol) a fantastic way to save a few $$ and tune your system right. If you already have a scope, then chances are you're one of us guys who likes new toys, so there's no reason you shouldn't add this to your collection too.

Personally, I have a tpi440 that I use for MUCH more than scoping amps. I use it on a daily basis, using almost every feature it has. So the DD-1 won't replace it. However, I'll probably pick one up when I can fit it in the budget.

Just my $.02

Imtjnotu
06-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I was thinking of getting one because good scopes will cost u a lot more......twisted u wanna ship it to me and ill send it back asap :)

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I was thinking of getting one because good scopes will cost u a lot more......twisted u wanna ship it to me and ill send it back asap :)

Feg I asked first

rangerboy101
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM

That's probably going to be a reason it'll sell though. People want simplicity. They don't want to have to **** around with a bunch of stuff to set their stuff up. The easier the better.

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
This is what Ric @ pulse car audio said....

a little more info for you guys...

We all know that when you clip your system it adds "dirty power" so I wanted to see what kind of dirty power Gary had before setup with the SMD dd1. The results are surprising. :)

BEFORE TUNING WITH SMD dd1

ACv- 62.09
amp- 39.14
2430.2026 watts SPL score 150.8dB

AFTER TUNING WITH SMD dd1

ACv- 56.14
amp- 34.07
1912.6898 watts SPL score 150.9dB (after playing music for over 45 minutes straight with the truck off!!!)

edit: in other words... 517.5128 watts where "dirty" or distorted power and it didn't help the score at all. and FYI I have seen a few people (one re re on youtube said this too) say that "i've tuned by ear this tool is useless you can hear distortion"... I have been doing car audio for 16+ years. I have built countless SPL and SQ setups not to mention everyday bangers... I can tell you this... This is the fastest and easiest way to set up tuning, and I thought I got the cars pretty close by ear (judges comments on my competitors setups confirmed that) but this takes the cake so to speak. Gary's truck sounded fantastic before, and anyone who has heard it would agree... like i said in the vid though.. it sounds BETTER now.

if you don't add this to your toolbox as an installer of audio both home and auto... then you are insane. bottom line.

power-fanatic07
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Some ppl will buy it just because it sais SMD on it, some people would never buy it for the same reason.

So true. People are dumb.

bhsdriller
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM

you don't remember the last time he was on here? That thread was full of lolz

Edit: found it
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/361181-new-aa-smd-woofer.html

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
*** it...here's this too...lol

Check out these pictures. This is a very expensive O-scope and Tony D is an expert.....he might know what to look for but the untrained eye and a cheaper scope would probably lead you to believe that you have a clean signal. Look closer though. To be honest, 6 months ago, i too would have given a signal like that the "go ahead" thinking it was clean....the DD-1 says different though. See the light on and the wave looking pretty decent? Its not squared off at all and look, we have distortion. :ph34r:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/meade916/SMD%20Distortion%20Listener/DSPdistortion.jpg

this one has a ugly "spike" in it....seems pretty apparent....but i dont think my cheap *** TPI 440 would show that clear enough to call it a bad signal.....and on top of that, its NOT CLIPPED.....again! :peepwall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/meade916/SMD%20Distortion%20Listener/ClassABcrossoverdistortionfromamplifierbeingunderb iased.jpg

i have some video's that Tony sent me that will explain this even further.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
In order for the smd meter to detect that, it would need to be able to compare the source signal with the output signal. It doesn't have that capability before anyone chimes in and states that this thing is measuring distortion and not just clipping.

Ummm looks like a clipped signal to me. If this tests "distortion" what's its point of reference?

Exactly...People are trying to distinguish distortion and clipping as two different things when they are very much related. Distortion simply means the output signal differs from the input signal in a way other than magnitude and phase (i.e. the waveform itself is different). Clipping is a type of distortion. From my basic understanding of what this device does, it's simply looking for clipping, which is easily detectable with a scope and a decent set of eyes. Now I will say that in twisted's last post (the one I quoted below) it looks like they are claiming this device can detect other (non-clipping) types of distortion but I too would like to know how it accomplishes this without a reference point. Unless it just looks for a perfect sine wave and if the signal is deviated from that too far it claims distortion...

*** it...here's this too...lol

Sorry, maybe my eye is a bit more trained, but I look at both those signals and see distortion, I would definitely be able to pick those out on a scope.

The_Grimy_One
06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I would low key use one... Lol.

I still need help setting my gains every now and then.

pro-rabbit
06-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I think many of us are over analyzing the product. All though I to think the price is to high(perhaps $100 would be more fair) and will more then likely not purchase one, I still see where it is very helpful for many people. For many who do not own an O-scope or for those who do not know or want to learn how to use one this is a great tool.

wickedwitt
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Feg I asked first

Imma one up you...

Twisted, come to West TX and scope my stuff, get and give a demo, have a laugh.

ahole-ic
06-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Well let's be honest. This thing has like 2 led's for specific frequencies. It IS possible that it knows what a perfect 40hz sine wave should look like and does the comparison this way.

bubbagumper6
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Well let's be honest. This thing has like 2 led's for specific frequencies. It IS possible that it knows what a perfect 40hz sine wave should look like and does the comparison this way.

Yeah that's why I mentioned that. I'm not saying this is a bad product or doesn't do what it was designed to do. I have no experience with it so how would I know? The only point I'm making is that for that cost I would rather have the scope.

sacsking916
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Imma one up you...

Twisted, come to West TX and scope my stuff, get and give a demo, have a laugh.

Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

twistedchild420
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
So i wasn't happy with the testing side of the vid....but the review i stand by! lol So i set up my head unit and my NEW amp in a quick no fuss video....should be much better....i'll throw it up tomorrow!

twistedchild420
06-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok....here's my PROPER SMD DD1 testing video...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNoZbPYqbg

twistedchild420
06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
dbl

bubbagumper6
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Was that a wig on top of your subwoofer enclosure?

sundownz
06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Pretty neat product -- as for the pricing it sounds fair.

Add up R&D time and the fact it's not a huge mass production product and you end up with the price they have. If they made a million a year you would see it under a hundred bucks... but most likely only hard-core guys and shop owners are in the market for this device which is maybe 1% of the total car audio market; and then a small percentage of them will actually know about it and buy it.

As an installer it would be an awesome time save and worth the money.

twistedchild420
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Was that a wig on top of your subwoofer enclosure?

Sasquatch fur bro.....

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/251655_212800502093200_100000897547658_614058_1888 056_n.jpg

benzino713
11-03-2011, 08:08 AM
I have a quick question on this SMD Distortion Detector. Will this meter detect distortion at any frequency? I play alot of low frequency songs, my box is tuned to 28hz. I notice the meter a 40hz detector light, will it be the same distortion at 34hz? because thats where i burp at. Reply asap, thanks

rbj8611
03-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Way too expensive!!

wenn_du_weinst
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Way too expensive!!

http://abduzeedo.com/files/posts/back-future/back-future-6.jpg

carlosg_313
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
It really tune the amp at 40hz...but I have my box tuned to 29hz with 3k, no stinky unless I play a clipped song, play a lower lower tuned song, or just clip it by upping the subwoofer settings on the deck.

carlosg_313
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
http://abduzeedo.com/files/posts/back-future/back-future-6.jpg

??

CADENCE SOUND
03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
My buddy built one of these about 7 years ago. to bad he never got a patent, sent the specs to china and had it produced.

He still brings it over every time I need my gains checked. I'll post up a pic of the raw model.

People dont get how cheap those things are. You can seriously make one yourself with DIY parts you can get online..

CAT MAN
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM
People dont get how cheap those things are. You can seriously make one yourself with DIY parts you can get online..

um are you alive? we're in america. we are lazy. :rotflol:

CHEMMINS
03-14-2012, 06:26 PM

So make it and market it to us for cheap, or do a DIY thread of how to make our own and where to source the components....lol.

CAT MAN
03-14-2012, 06:35 PM
So make it and market it to us for cheap, or do a DIY thread of how to make our own and where to source the components....lol.

this

wenn_du_weinst
03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
whats so hard about using an oscope?

CAT MAN
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
whats so hard about using an oscope?
omg those handhelds are retarted to use.

JimJ
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Scopes don't show distortion though sir.

Then you're using a scope incorrectly.

Not a decent one.

Some amps just are more distorted as an inherent part of their design (Class C doesn't reproduce 360 degrees of the wave, Class B suffers from crossover distortion between output devices, etc). Or the transistors are just biased too close to the ragged edge.

Couple hundred bucks can buy a used Tektronix 2-channel that will last a long time.

Looks like phase distortion, not clipping...

I'm just curious to know what the bandwidth of this thing is.

MANTI5
03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
This will detect distortion before clipping occurs, can't always see that on some oscopes, and this is easier, seems to be the reasons so far.

oldschool4me
03-14-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm just curious to know what the bandwidth of this thing is.

yes thats what i was wondering. does it exceed common listening range? or does it just do say 40-400 etc? i have not really looked into it much. kind of thought it would be as affective as one of those sosche db meters that go to 130db lol.

wenn_du_weinst
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
This will detect distortion before clipping occurs, can't always see that on some oscopes, and this is easier, seems to be the reasons so far.
lol says meade, I trust him about as far as I can throw him. Besides it detects it at .1% = useless

MANTI5
03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Tests so far show it doing a good job, I'd get one if it wasn't so expensive.

oldschool4me
03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
lol says meade, I trust him about as far as I can throw him. Besides it detects it at .1% = useless

care to elaborate? thanks.

CADENCE SOUND
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Nah not our business to make testing equipment..

DDtC
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
If any of you haters every used on you would not be talking down about this tool. So what you dont like Meade, who care. What have any of you done for the industry? He's promoting a good tool, along with the CC-1. He also is promoting a good sub, getting people away from the overpriced, overrated, under built BS on the market today. He may not go about it the right way but he is doing something. How many people have watched his vids, read the comments, thinking they knew what real car audio is about only to find out they knew nothing? Now some of those people have real high end equipment. I can say I'm one of them

CADENCE SOUND
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
If any of you haters every used on you would not be talking down about this tool. So what you dont like Meade, who care. What have any of you done for the industry? He's promoting a good tool, along with the CC-1. He also is promoting a good sub, getting people away from the overpriced, overrated, under built BS on the market today. He may not go about it the right way but he is doing something. How many people have watched his vids, read the comments, thinking they knew what real car audio is about only to find out they knew nothing? Now some of those people have real high end equipment. I can say I'm one of them

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/strokes_it_slow_2.gif

trumpet
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM

If you can hear .1% distortion in the car on the highway why do you even bother with car audio? The DD-1 makes life easier regardless if you're a noob or a professional installer. I don't own one but if I could get over my dislike of Steve Meade I would think about buying one. Sure, you can do more with a good oscilloscope, but the DD-1 is so simple anyone can use it.

For those who think you can build the same device for less, go for it. There's always room for DIY projects. If you need to thump your chest and imply everyone else is a fool for the way they choose to spend their money and time that's not going to get your message across effectively.

hispls
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM

SM pretty much personifys everything that is wrong with this hobby. Know-it-all elitist douche bags that think because they blow a lot of money on "high end equipment" they're better and smarter than everyone else. His always right attitude and fan-boys who back him up are just juvinile to the point of absurdity.

I don't have to do anything for the industry to know his behavior is childish douche-baggery and I cast my vote against it by specifically NOT spending money on him, his products, or any companies who would use someone like that as a spokesperson. There was a great thread (on DIYMA IIRC) where someone who actually knew electronics was trying to ask him some legitimate questions and he went into a tantrum over it.

I've met loads of people who have "real high end equipment" that are just as incompetent as Dr. Subwoofer. I have very exclusive equipment myself, it speaks only to the fact that I am passionate about sound and I work hard and save money to buy toys I really want, it certainly does not make me right about everything, an authority on everything and beyond reproach or question.

IMO that clown may as well start up a cult and have his fan club out at the airport selling pencils.

Team Nemesis-DJ
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
SM pretty much personifys everything that is wrong with this hobby. Know-it-all elitist douche bags that think because they blow a lot of money on "high end equipment" they're better and smarter than everyone else. His always right attitude and fan-boys who back him up are just juvinile to the point of absurdity.

I don't have to do anything for the industry to know his behavior is childish douche-baggery and I cast my vote against it by specifically NOT spending money on him, his products, or any companies who would use someone like that as a spokesperson. There was a great thread (on DIYMA IIRC) where someone who actually knew electronics was trying to ask him some legitimate questions and he went into a tantrum over it.

I've met loads of people who have "real high end equipment" that are just as incompetent as Dr. Subwoofer. I have very exclusive equipment myself, it speaks only to the fact that I am passionate about sound and I work hard and save money to buy toys I really want, it certainly does not make me right about everything, an authority on everything and beyond reproach or question.

IMO that clown may as well start up a cult and have his fan club out at the airport selling pencils.

Finally someone with some common sense ........

DDtC
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM

I never said i agree with the way he carries himself. BUT nobody can deny he has brought more real entustiest to our hobby. They may have not know any better in the first place but it was a part of the reason they dug further

MANTI5
03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Lot of haters in here. If the tool works properly, makes my life easier, and has a decent price, I couldn't care less who's name is on the box. Sure an oscope may be able to do more, but did it ever cross your mind that the VAST majority of people will ONLY use it for this purpose and so this tool is perfect? Get over yourselves.

nateberrier
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Take the SMD name off the front and Ill use it.

hispls
03-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I never said i agree with the way he carries himself. BUT nobody can deny he has brought more real entustiest to our hobby. They may have not know any better in the first place but it was a part of the reason they dug further

I would argue that that type of attitude and behavior probably drives more people away. Got help us if we get more people into this that are attracted to and behave like that!

hispls
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Lot of haters in here. If the tool works properly, makes my life easier, and has a decent price, I couldn't care less who's name is on the box. Sure an oscope may be able to do more, but did it ever cross your mind that the VAST majority of people will ONLY use it for this purpose and so this tool is perfect? Get over yourselves.

What is it perfect for? Detecting clipping? Distortion? What kind of distortion? To what precision and at what frequency range? Apparently Mr. Knows All likes to shout down and insult the people asking more specifics about how it works and what it's supposed to do.

Really about the only thing I could see it useful for is for wanna-be rich kid/eliteist/fan boys to show off that they know more and are better than anyone else.

Spending a lot of money and being right all the time on the internet is no substitute for Pen!s size.... get a **** pump and grow the **** up.

wenn_du_weinst
03-15-2012, 04:26 PM
care to elaborate? thanks.
my amps arn't even at 1% thd at rated power.

wenn_du_weinst
03-15-2012, 04:30 PM

How did you like the response he gave when the diy member asked what they used to make sure their folding table wasn't soaked in static electricity?
He wasn't all that bead in 2005-2006, he was still a cocky douche but bearable. I got in an hour long argument once because I said HO problems was louder then the hoopty.

oldschool4me
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
my amps arn't even at 1% thd at rated power.

your amps should be less than .1% for that matter. most high end amps are well under .1%

hispls
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
your amps should be less than .1% for that matter. most high end amps are well under .1%

IMO marketing hype only. I'd defy anyone to show me double blind test that shows anyone hearing 1% distortion.

fannin88
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
OP- You have a voice for radio. Or an upbeat info-mercial type thing. I bet you could sell the **** out of stuff! Its up to par with Billy Mays IMO :fyi:

oldschool4me
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
IMO marketing hype only. I'd defy anyone to show me double blind test that shows anyone hearing 1% distortion.

this is not about hearing it or this detector wouldnt need to be made.

hispls
03-15-2012, 10:14 PM

OK, so what is the point? What precisely does it detect? Inaudible distortion? The pic a few pages ago shows a 40 Khz wave with a bit of a notch on it. Is this somehting that gaining down some piece of equipment will help? After you set your gains to 0db 40hz sine wave, what happens at every other frequency and other record levels?

KTMrida4life
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
OP- You have a voice for radio. Or an upbeat info-mercial type thing. I bet you could sell the **** out of stuff! Its up to par with Billy Mays IMO :fyi:

I agree. lol

KyleBechtold
03-24-2012, 11:32 PM

so a distortion detector to get rid of the inaudible distortion.. just what I needed to waste my money on..

until there is an active distortion eliminator to eliminate it from music directly I will stick with an oscope.. as you can detect clipping, distortion and use it for other things..

oldschool4me
03-25-2012, 12:06 AM
so a distortion detector to get rid of the inaudible distortion.. just what I needed to waste my money on..

until there is an active distortion eliminator to eliminate it from music directly I will stick with an oscope.. as you can detect clipping, distortion and use it for other things..

i agree to an extent. i wouldnt buy one. just was not talking about distortion you hear obviously lol. sq of recorded music just doesnt seem to be what it used to be. maybe its just me idk.

KyleBechtold
03-25-2012, 01:34 AM
i agree to an extent. i wouldnt buy one. just was not talking about distortion you hear obviously lol. sq of recorded music just doesnt seem to be what it used to be. maybe its just me idk.

well I hear so much distortion and background noise in just the music alone that even the dd1 won't help that.. its worse when you have high end speakers and can hear all of it..

oldschool4me
03-25-2012, 10:43 AM
well I hear so much distortion and background noise in just the music alone that even the dd1 won't help that.. its worse when you have high end speakers and can hear all of it..

i agree. i have said that to many people and they say they cant heat it. its mostly in the higher frequencies where you notice it most. mp3's are worse yet. reason i never use an mp3 player on my system. although once in a while you get lucky on a mp3 and its not bad but thats not often.

d77543020
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Dd1 works for me that's all I need to know,made all my money back and then some by renting it out locally

CHRIS 323
03-26-2012, 05:11 AM
i love the dd1 i wish i had the money to buy it

twistedchild420
03-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Miracle device

subzero
04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Miracle device

Meh...

SPL Blazer
04-23-2012, 12:21 AM
This unit can't compare to a really good O-Scope, but for entry level systems and for the cheap price it should work fine. I wouldn't use it for a competition system, but for a daily system I would.

d77543020
04-29-2012, 11:07 AM
This unit can't compare to a really good O-Scope, but for entry level systems and for the cheap price it should work fine. I wouldn't use it for a competition system, but for a daily system I would.

1 a really good oscope will cost you way more and 2 they did a vid with it side by side with a oscope and it did the job just as good,it won't do everything a oscope will do but all I wana do is set my gains and that's all

Team Nemesis-DJ
04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
"useless tool "///SMH ...walks away

Austin175
07-16-2012, 05:38 PM
You know what I don't really care if his name is on it I don't go to his site or anything but I'm on a budget can't afford a good o scope an nor have I ever used one. I'm buying one on Thursday cause this is the next best thing I can afford. An from what vids I have seen I don't thinks it's bad just maybe lower the price

wenn_du_weinst
07-16-2012, 05:56 PM

never checked this thread again oh well late reply, they are ;) making this ''tool'' 100% worthless for my stuff.

splwj47
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
dd1 is a waste of money. i set my amps with it and my bass nob still said i was clipping and that was with a 40hz -5db tone. also i could smell the coil after setting gains with it and i was only running a 2k on my warden lol.

oldschool4me
07-17-2012, 03:57 PM
only thing i see is that it would be useful when setting gains for a set up with multiple amps for your subs.