PDA

View Full Version : powermax HO alternators EBAY

grandam888
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Review of:

Product: Powermax 250 amp alternator commonly sold on ebay

Appearance: alternator comes packaged well, and appears in new condition, very clean.

Performance:(most important factor): the main reason for this review is to clear up any doubt in ebay HO alternators or powermax's atleast. At first i was very skeptical as to whether or not it would do the stated amperage or if they were going to ship me a stock alternator and say it puts out XXX amps.

i can start by saying based on my tests it does its rated amperage or very very close. The alternator is advertised as a 250 amp alternator. As of right now i am running a bb2400.1 amplifier doing around 2100rms watts(app.150amps), 400 watts worth of off road lighting(30 amps), hid headlights(app.20 amps), air conditioner, radio, also a hifonics falcon amplifier(app 20 amps). i can run EVERYTHING @ once in my car including system @ full tilt and stay @ a steady 13.5-13.8 volts above idle rpms. So im sure it puts out at least 200 amps as an alternator reaches it peak amperage when it drops to 12.5 volts.

reliability: I have had this alternator now for about 8 months, and is still running as strong as it did the day i installed it.

Overall value: given the alternator cost me 250$, it does @ or near 250 amps, and is still going strong i would say its a GREAT value. Most of the alternators i see from other HO alt. companies run 300+ dollars, and sometimes they aren't more than 150-170 amps. so being able to purchase a true HO alternator for 250$ is a good deal. Powermax also has some for other vehicles that cost even less with same or better amperage rating.

So overall powermax is a great buy, don't be scared to buy their alternators because they are on Ebay. They have great customer service, and awesome feedback and best of all their products are true to their amperage ratings.

johnny hitswell
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
thanks for the review, im in need of a an alternator , i was lookin at irraggi

johnny hitswell
07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
thanks for the review, im in need of a an alternator , i was lookin at irraggi or singer

Buck
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Shy away from Iraggi, he has a 'troubled' past if you will.

The_Grimy_One
07-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Has anyone else used these alts?

Barika
09-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I really like these, I liked it long ago, and I am happy!

nbshazeezee
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I just bought my own 170amp powermax usa alt. Im am sooo very skeptical because everyone else i ask keeps talking **** even though they havent used them. How do you like it still?

c4w18
11-30-2011, 01:17 AM
personally, i wouldn't recommend these to my worst enemy.....i'm glad it worked out for op, but it was a huge scam to me....

h t t p : / / imageshack . us/photo/my-images/39/alt . jpg/

i mean, they didn't even TRY to change anything....the stators looked the same, case was the same...i doubt it was even rewound...in the above pick you can see stock, powermax, and a REAL high output alternator built by DC power....The differences between the first two are indecipherable, while the third it would seem obvious that it performs to advertised specs.....I felt cheated out of my money and was upset I didn't bite the bullet and put the money that I threw down the toilet (on the powermax) into the third alternator which is amazing...~220 amps at idle, 270 at 1700 rpms, rated hot mind you....thats my two cents....

fucntonyman
08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I bought one of these about 5 months ago and I returned it after having it tested by Interstate Batteries. They said it wasn't even putting out what the stock alt puts out. I got $150 back when I paid $200 and had to pay for shipping it back. Yes it looked exactly like the stock, nothing different. I was very skeptical especially after talking to the guy on the phone. He advised me not to get it tested because the guys at Autozone would fry it! They did not of course. I wanted to leave bad comments on his page but eBay doesn't allow it after it's been too long. And I wanted to wait until I got my money back to be safe. So now I'm shopping for one and ran into this. I'm thinking Mechmans 220 amp for $400 might be the way to go.

fucntonyman
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
PS: The guy does have a lot of good reviews on ebay, that is what helped convince me to do it. I warned the guy I would get it tested and assured him I would send it back if it did not come close to 200 amps. I don't know about the guy above that said his was good from powermax. Powermax has been doing this for a while (years) under different names on ebay.

Mr.G6
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
well i know this is a old *** thread...
but i orderd a powermax alty to use while my mechman is being rebuilt..
got a "220a" unit for 170bux which is 4 bux cheaper than autozone wants..
PLUS SIDE..i have a buddy who runs this SAME alternator on his grand am..powering a soundstream dtr3400 at .25ohm DAILY and only 120ah of battery..and holding real high 12v range.. his alternator clamped out at 216amps..which is VERY close to rated.. 6months use and still kickn ***

bertha32
02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
The guy does have a lot of excellent opinions on auction web sites, that is what assisted persuade me to do it. I cautioned the guy I would get it examined and confident him I would deliver it returning if it did not come near to 200 amplifiers.

italian fashion (http://www.fsession.com) | mens clothing (http://www.fsession.com)

Pyromaniac4food
02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
The guy does have a lot of excellent opinions on auction web sites, that is what assisted persuade me to do it. I cautioned the guy I would get it examined and confident him I would deliver it returning if it did not come near to 200 amplifiers.

italian fashion (http://www.fsession.com) | mens clothing (http://www.fsession.com)

Brilliant!

Biggiesmails72
03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Anything on these? I want a new alternator for my 03 subaru forester and this is one of the best (by the reviews, at least) i could find High Amp Alternator Subaru Baja Forester Impreza Legacy Outback 2 5L 180Amp | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-AMP-ALTERNATOR-SUBARU-BAJA-FORESTER-IMPREZA-LEGACY-OUTBACK-2-5L-180AMP-/251188257732?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3AForester&hash=item3a7bfca3c4&vxp=mtr)

for the price, mechman makes one but thats $600...way too much

fly_marlin
05-06-2014, 01:33 AM
I bought a 180a alternator from Nate at Excessive Amperage for the civic I used to have. It worked fine and powered everything well, though I never got it tested. It's still running today, I sold my car to a friend in 2010. I got the alternator is 2007, so it's been running for 7 yrs now. I highly recommend.

DieselFiend1989
10-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Old thread I realize. Just ordered a powermax “180A” for my 03 forester. Mostly because i spent all my money on the things that use juice and the associated wiring. This alt will have its hands full to say the least. Will report back if there is any interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mihotta99
10-26-2017, 04:21 AM
DieselFiend1989 hows your new alt ?

Mayhem
10-26-2017, 05:18 AM
For anyone considering to buy one of these, just think about this..

Doesn't really matter if they put out power or not really.
If they do, well then they're doing what they are advertising. That's great.
If they don't, then don't act surprised.

Longevity will have the final say.

Sure you get an alt for half of what it cost from other more well known brands.... but do you know how much it will cost you to when it sh!ts out on you?
What happens when it stops working and you're more than an hour or two away from your home? Doubt you'll be able to run on battery power longer than that...
Get it towed to a shop? Buy a stock alt? Put it in just to drive your car? Then finally send it in for repair when they probably don't offer it.

Pay more now, pay less, if any later.
Just my 2cents

Boomin_tahoe
10-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Perfect reply. It's the cheap price winning buyers. Same with Boss Audio.

Buick_66
10-26-2017, 07:47 AM
For anyone considering to buy one of these, just think about this..

Doesn't really matter if they put out power or not really.
If they do, well then they're doing what they are advertising. That's great.
If they don't, then don't act surprised.

Longevity will have the final say.

Sure you get an alt for half of what it cost from other more well known brands.... but do you know how much it will cost you to when it sh!ts out on you?
What happens when it stops working and you're more than an hour or two away from your home? Doubt you'll be able to run on battery power longer than that...
Get it towed to a shop? Buy a stock alt? Put it in just to drive your car? Then finally send it in for repair when they probably don't offer it.

Pay more now, pay less, if any later.
Just my 2cents

I bought one to test out on my project. Engine is not running yet, but I have it in place.
I know my car is not 'average', but I have a dual electrical set up just in case the alt. goes. Seperate battery bank is fed off the High Output, single batt and 90 amp alt run the car.
Bottom line is...all these alternators have issues - YES - even mechman and the other big guys. Lots of stories of these breaking down under all types of circumstances.

So, if mine ever dies - I take the surpintine belt off, and the rest of the car is on Seperate V belt...so I start the car off the car batt and drive on.

Hopefully this is how it pans out in real life. And with a bank of 7 AGM group 31 I can probably shut the sub amp down and still rock my mids and tweets for 2 hour drive home on batt power...

So there's that option....

When/If it goes on me I'll invest in a 'better' one and compare.

DieselFiend1989
10-27-2017, 04:08 AM
DieselFiend1989 hows your new alt ?

The entire car is getting a much needed electrical system repair/upgrade (part of the reason I am cheaping out on the alt for the time being. Trying to get my bs together so i can go back to school being the other reason). I have not had the chance to get the alt to a reputable shop for testing and inspection nor has it been installed. Hoping to get it tested, inspected, and installed in the coming week.

To explain why i am going down the cheap parts road knowing full well the risks.

I do not and one should not expect an alternator that costs less than a third of some of it’s top shelf competitors to perform anywhere near the same or for as long. One should also be aware of the dangers of alternators that are cheap, overdriven, and have insufficient thermal management capabilities as a result.

Facts are, I am not in a position to be spending DC money (or even mechman money) on an alt. The other good options for high output subaru alternators are limited at absolute best. I have stupid easy access to spare subaru parts, so a spare alternator in a pinch would be zero problem to get me home. This car rarely if ever gets two hours away from home. Changing it on the side of the road, in the dark, in the cold in crappy weather, would be annoying. Ultimately, pretty easy on a boxer engine though. Being mounted **** near front, top, and center of the engine. My Aux lighting game is STRONG, so no worries on being able to see or being seen. Even on the nastiest nights. Amperage and voltage are monitored in real time with a aftermarket digi gauge in the dash and a floor mounted andy tab running the obdlink software through a obdlink lx.

I do tend to agree with EVERYONE saying you get what you pay for. I do believe you will get a superior (Not necessarily failure free) product if you pay for it. That being said, I spent three or four hours googling powermax for reviews and info. What I found was precious little hard evidence that suggested they were unreliable garbage. Quite a few reviews stating lower than advertised output... quite a few with advertised output. Even a few failures. Seemed like pretty standard stuff really. If I missed multiple counts of powermax alternator failures, please let me know before I install this thing. Also seems that if price is actually any indicator, at least for my application, the powermax would be priced as a “better” middle of the road alternator. With the brand new Bosch and Denso units costing the most. When compared to the standard local parts shops. I also purchased on ebay, through paypal, on my debit card. So I have multiple forms of recourse through multiple financial institutions if anything goes awry with the sale. ie., powermax not honoring a warranty.
I will of course purchase a better alternator as funds allow. Hopefully a DC. They cost the most after all.

Sorry for the book, not trying to be an arse. I was taught young to make myself as perfectly clear as I was able. So I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mihotta99
10-27-2017, 08:43 AM
I just wanna know if you like it and is it doing rated? I'm thinking of getting one too