PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question about SPL

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Ok, so I am very curious on why one person can have 20000 watts, and someone else can have 10000 watts and they still create the same amount of dbs.

I clearly understand that many characteristics go into this process, BUT I clearly dont understand why everyone doesnt follow the same kind of characteristics if one way produces so much more bass.

And of course better subs and amps = more dbs, but I think someone with 20000 watts, should be significantly louder than someone with 10000 watts.

Lastly, let's just say I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, how could I possibly achieve a 160db? This is hypothetical, of course.

NoLoud4U
06-12-2011, 12:19 AM
The louder it gets the more it takes.. Going from 155 to 160 could take 2000K going from 160 to 165 could take 10000K, hypothetical

pro-rabbit
06-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Each car is 100% different even if they are the same year/make/model as each other. In short, there is no ONE way to build a SPL car. I have built more then just about everyone on here and each one needed a different method to get loud.

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Each car is 100% different even if they are the same year/make/model as each other. In short, there is no ONE way to build a SPL car. I have built more then just about everyone on here and each one needed a different method to get loud.

And how do you find this method? Just a bunch of trial and error, or do you come at each situation with a certain plan? I guess basically I am asking, have you learned a certain way to attack certain vehicles?

P.S. What has been your highest score?

Wingman0121
06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
To gain 3db you need to double the power, sound pressure level is not linear, it's logarithmic so the louder you go the harder it is to get louder. For example if you get 135dB from a 500 watt amp then to get 138dB you'll need a 1000 watt amp.

That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have awesome subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and can be rebuilt when they do burn out.

NoLoud4U
06-12-2011, 12:31 AM
To gain 3db you need to double the power, sound pressure level is not linear, it's logarithmic so the louder you go the harder it is to get louder. For example if you get 135dB from a 500 watt amp then to get 138dB you'll need a 1000 watt amp.

That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have ****** subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and be rebuilt when they do burn out.

I knew it was something like that

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 12:35 AM

That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have awesome subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and can be rebuilt when they do burn out.

This makes sense to me. Thanks. I swear some people have about 10000 watts, while another has closer to 25000 watts, and their scores are very close to the same, which dumbfounded me.

pro-rabbit
06-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Power is only one factor. Many people do not understand the physics behind what they are trying to do so they just drop as much power as they can to compensate for their lack of build experience or technique.

AudioAnonymous
06-12-2011, 12:46 AM
how could I possibly achieve a 160db?

Drop it off in my driveway for a few days and poof 160.

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Power is only one factor. Many people do not understand the physics behind what they are trying to do so they just drop as much power as they can to compensate for their lack of build experience or technique.

Yea, I understand that. What other considerations do you put into it? I mean besides the common box size/frequency, ohm load, and power...

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Drop it off in my driveway for a few days and poof 160.

Really? Could you do it for $20 per day and lunch?

pro-rabbit
06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
You are trying to cram a lot of learning into a thread that won't happen. I can explain what method I use, but you won't understand until you start building something and start to see the dos and don'ts of SPL.

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 12:54 AM
You are trying to cram a lot of learning into a thread that won't happen. I can explain what method I use, but you won't understand until you start building something and start to see the dos and don'ts of SPL.

Sorry, trying to be as broad as possible...

Bassin Brandon
06-12-2011, 12:54 AM
pro-rabbit....IM me please. I want to order

sorry for hijack

pro-rabbit
06-12-2011, 12:56 AM
pro-rabbit....IM me please. I want to order

sorry for hijack

Sorry, my computer started acting up and I'm on the phone again..I will PM you in a sec

Bassin Brandon
06-12-2011, 12:58 AM
message you my number, please call :)

pro-rabbit
06-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Sorry, trying to be as broad as possible...

Well the issue is that you have to understand a great deal about what is going on to understand what any of us would describe to you.

The easiest thing to say is no car is the same no matter how close they are. Each car likes different size subs, power, sub port placement and so much more....

Also some cars that have 20k or more are not meant to meter loud they are meant to just be loud...and they do that with ease.

The_Grimy_One
06-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Well the issue is that you have to understand a great deal about what is going on to understand what any of us would describe to you.

The easiest thing to say is no car is the same no matter how close they are. Each car likes different size subs, power, sub port placement and so much more....

Also some cars that have 20k or more are not meant to meter loud they are meant to just be loud...and they do that with ease.

Ok, thanks for all the info.

Bassin Brandon
06-12-2011, 01:31 AM
rabbit please pm me

SICK GV
06-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Power means nothing. Some amps say they produce a certain rating but a lot of the time its false. And NO you do not gain 3 db from doubling the power or surface area. Your numbers are based on build more then the gear although good gear helps. If you want 160s from a Jeep you need to wall it. My Jeep Cherokee did 156s with 2 15s and a 5k amp all in the cargo area and I added more batts and 4X power and gained only 1.5db. Sometimes your car just stops getting loud with your setup and you need to change it. There are guys in stock classes with 2 subs 1 amp and 1 battery that are louder then modified guys using walls with 8 15s 10k power and a battery bank. Its all about the car and the build. SPL dont make sense, its just the way it is man

Buck
06-16-2011, 04:42 PM
SPL is overrated :fyi:

grandam888
06-16-2011, 07:02 PM
also has a lot to do with the idiot (or genius) doing the build. there is ALOT of stuff that goes into the process.

port placement, resonant frequency of vehicle, tuning your box to the proper hz to take advantage of the cars res. frequency, box size, port area, etc.

your be surprised that 1000 watts will get you 3 more decibels, but changing box size/tuning, or even moving the box can gain you more than 3db. good sound deadening, bracing the vehicles roof etc.

there's alot of trial and error involved, especially with port tuning and box/ port/speaker placement.

The_Grimy_One
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
also has a lot to do with the idiot (or genius) doing the build. there is ALOT of stuff that goes into the process.

port placement, resonant frequency of vehicle, tuning your box to the proper hz to take advantage of the cars res. frequency, box size, port area, etc.

your be surprised that 1000 watts will get you 3 more decibels, but changing box size/tuning, or even moving the box can gain you more than 3db. good sound deadening, bracing the vehicles roof etc.

there's alot of trial and error involved, especially with port tuning and box/ port/speaker placement.

Yea, I was surprised how much louder my sub gets faced towards the trunk, rather than towards the driver. I have fold down seats, so I had to try it. Haha.

cthedinger
06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
There is a lot more to achieving a high SPL score than just having a lot of power. A good box, port area is key. The vehicle is also another big factor.