PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had trouble fitting a double din in your ride?

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Ive been looking around lately for a double din and everywhere i go they tell me they cant fit one without removing stuff like the heating. WTF? Anyways i really want a double din but looks like i can only fit a flip out. My car is a 2000 grand marquis. Similar to crown vics and towncars. I see these on cars like mine all the time, but i dont know how they did it or if they were able to do it without removing things. Thanks in advance For the input

sacsking916
06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
i cant do a double din on mine unless i relocate it.

sacsking916
06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
i cant do a double din on mine unless i relocate it.

06goat
06-06-2011, 07:24 PM
a hacksaw is ur best friend
or a dremel with a cutting wheel.

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Man it *****. My friend has his d-din on a towncar. People make it fit but idk how. A flipout is not bad though.

Sub Woofin
06-06-2011, 07:29 PM
i dont like flip outs.

sacsking916
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
i couldnt do either without relocating it. right above the stereo is the vents and right below it is the controls.

marquisbrah
a hacksaw is ur best friend
or a dremel with a cutting wheel.

Doing the cutting myself would probably not end well. I just dont feel like paying an extra $150 to be able to fit one lol. Havent lost hope tough. Theres a couple more shops that i havent tried and ill see my options then :/

sacsking916
i couldnt do either without relocating it. right above the stereo is the vents and right below it is the controls.

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
i dont like flip outs.

I dont got an issue with flipouts but i like d-dins better. Theyre what the cool kids have :)

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
i dont like flip outs.

I dont got an issue with flipouts but i like d-dins better. Theyre what the cool kids have :)

sacsking916
06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Doing the cutting myself would probably not end well. I just dont feel like paying an extra $150 to be able to fit one lol. Havent lost hope tough. Theres a couple more shops that i havent tried and ill see my options then :/

go talk to ray and see what he says. he will hook you up with advice as to whats best for you to fit it

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 07:41 PM
go talk to ray and see what he says. he will hook you up with advice as to whats best for you to fit it

Yea im pretty sure he can do it. Might take my 32" TV and see if he can do that too :). Sick @$$ jobs they do. I would go tomorrow but i dont wanna be the guy that walks in the shop time after time to just ask questions. I do the stuff eventually but it usually takes some time of the idea marinating in my head before i execute the plan lol;)

sacsking916
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Yea im pretty sure he can do it. Might take my 32" TV and see if he can do that too :). Sick @$$ jobs they do. I would go tomorrow but i dont wanna be the guy that walks in the shop time after time to just ask questions. I do the stuff eventually but it usually takes some time of the idea marinating in my head before i execute the plan lol;)

hes not a bad guy. he will understand. just go talk to him

Wingman0121
06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
The reason why it won't fit is because there aren't enough depth in the dash to accommodate every DD headunit, I have one and I had to cut the plastic holder behind the dash so there's enough depth clearance for the unit and all the wires. My headunit is all the way against the vent tubes(which you can't cut).

But my DD headunit is really deep, there are ones from Panasonic and Kenwood that are much shallower and they'll fit without much modification.

thevic24
06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Na, I have a cordless sawzall.....

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
hes not a bad guy. he will understand. just go talk to him

yea i suppose it couldnt hurt. might drop by tomorrow.

jtomsic
06-06-2011, 11:21 PM
i love my double din screen

PHD - USA
06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Dylan and I had one hell of a time getting his Japanese Alpine deck into his Saab lol. We ended up just giving up on it.

marquisbrah
06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Dylan and I had one hell of a time getting his Japanese Alpine deck into his Saab lol. We ended up just giving up on it.

yea thats probably going to be the case if i get one. i wouldnt mind getting a flip out instead just to avoid the hassle

Dirtrider4eva
06-07-2011, 12:06 AM
i had enough of a hassle just getting my single din in my ride.
took me a good hour of dremel and sanding wheel before i could get the tray to work.
a double din would be worse im assuming.
you could always do some fiberglass work if your really that dedicated to it.

Sleeklsc
06-11-2011, 06:49 AM
You have to get a heat gun and re mold the rear air duct iirc. There was more involved but i havn't kept up on cv,mgm or tc's since i sold my marquis last year. Go over to crownvic.net (forum) and look into it. It was by far the best forum for those cars.

MONSONwarrior
06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
It probably just involves cutting out the rear plastic support, I used a small, thin hand saw in my TB to fit my Jensen, and now that I have my Pioneer it doesn't even get close to the support. Just find a shallow DD unit so it won't be too much modification.

marquisbrah
06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
You have to get a heat gun and re mold the rear air duct iirc. There was more involved but i havn't kept up on cv,mgm or tc's since i sold my marquis last year. Go over to crownvic.net (forum) and look into it. It was by far the best forum for those cars.
Ill definetly look into it. Thanks!

It probably just involves cutting out the rear plastic support, I used a small, thin hand saw in my TB to fit my Jensen, and now that I have my Pioneer it doesn't even get close to the support. Just find a shallow DD unit so it won't be too much modification.

I might do it myself, im just not very crafty when it comes to these kinds of things.