PDA

View Full Version : building your box - do you use speaker terminals?

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
ok just like title says..when you build a box do you install a speaker terminal in it or do you run straight wire from sub to amp... and if you do/dont whats the reason you do that..

DDtC
05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I ran terminal and soldered the inside wire to the terminal

fasfocus00
05-27-2011, 10:05 PM
i don't use terminal cups b/c of a few reason, I've had a couple break and I'd rather just drill a hole and use some silicone than have to make a specific cut for a terminal cup.

Boomsday
05-27-2011, 10:06 PM
straight wire, cup=loss of power

dbjunior
05-27-2011, 10:07 PM
i just drill a hole and caulk it after mainly because i never keep a box that long im always changing to get it a little better if im every happy enough with a box some day i will probably just do bolts for wiring changes for daily and comp 2ohm to .5ohm

dbjunior
05-27-2011, 10:07 PM
douple post

the727kid
05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Technically a cup weakens the box. I use just straight wire. A bolt and nut is a solid idea though.

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 11:04 PM
i just drill a hole and caulk it after mainly because i never keep a box that long im always changing to get it a little better if im every happy enough with a box some day i will probably just do bolts for wiring changes for daily and comp 2ohm to .5ohm

how exaxctly does the whole bolt thing work, ive seen it done but not sure what is actually involved in doing it.

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Technically a cup weakens the box. I use just straight wire. A bolt and nut is a solid idea though.

same ? as other guy how would i go about making that not sure what all i would need to buy

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 11:06 PM
dbl post

sacsking916
05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Just run the wire through a drilled hole an silicone. Just easier for me. Eventually I'll do the bolt thing.

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Just run the wire through a drilled hole an silicone. Just easier for me. Eventually I'll do the bolt thing.

yeah im running straight wire i have a terminal cup laying around from before so i was goin to use it but i would like to try bolt thing instead if i knew what exactly was involved lol not sure what all i need besides a nut and bolt lol

Buck
05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't use terminals, I just drill holes in the box and run the wires through it. Terminals are usually cheap and provide more resistance. Even terminal leads on subs provide more resistance. What I've heard is you loose 10% of your power or so with standard push terminals. That's why companies like DD use direct leads, no terminals.

Buck
05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't use terminals, I just drill holes in the box and run the wires through it. Terminals are usually cheap and provide more resistance. Even terminal leads on subs provide more resistance. What I've heard is you loose 10% of your power or so with standard push terminals. That's why companies like DD use direct leads, no terminals.

jtomsic
05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
man must be something with ca.com making everyone dbl post

iamamp3pimp
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
looks like it.

personally i run wire straight out the bottom, sealed up and call it a day. Some people want terminals, as they look cleaner, and i cannot disagree with that, so when they ask for terminals, they will get them.

-01limited-
05-29-2011, 03:59 PM
The bolt thing is you run the bolt from the inside of the box to the out. On the inside should be two nuts to put your wire in between. Then on the outside two more nuts, one to get the bolt tight to the box and the other to screw down to the first nut to secure your wire. Probably dont understand a bit of that lol, Pics could describe it a lot better. sorry:crap:

Sephious
05-29-2011, 04:02 PM
The bolt thing is you run the bolt from the inside of the box to the out. On the inside should be two nuts to put your wire in between. Then on the outside two more nuts, one to get the bolt tight to the box and the other to screw down to the first nut to secure your wire. Probably dont understand a bit of that lol, Pics could describe it a lot better. sorry:crap:
Makes sense to me, and was exactly what I was guessing you guys meant.

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:05 PM

10% LOL, you heard wrong. The owner of audioque was touting the same bullshit on another forum once upon a time. Go get a dmm and see how much resistance a push terminal or terminal cup gives you. :rolleyes:

iamamp3pimp
05-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Haunz, good post, i was wondering how that was even measured anyhow.

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:18 PM
A lot of the time I just drill a hole.. its cheaper and if you don't move the box around its fine.. But if you are building a box that might get moved around its definatly nice to have terminal cups.. I buy good quality cups to begin with, and after my wires are soldered in I fill them with kitty hair fiber glass to seal the cup and regain the integrity of the box..

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:18 PM
multi post ftl

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:20 PM
multi post ftl

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:20 PM
multi post ftl

Haunz
05-29-2011, 04:23 PM
multi post ftl

05fronty
05-29-2011, 04:28 PM

i know someone who does this

DonH
05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
i make my own terminals for all my customers boxes. for normal every day boxes i cut 1.75" long pieces of 10-24 all thread. two pieces one for positive one for negative. then i used 10/24 size nuts. two for each piece of all thread. drill the proper size holes for the all thread to snugly fit through. slide each all thread in. thread one bolt on the outside and one on the inside. then tighten both at the same time untill it is extremely tight! if it comes loose the wood will start to burn. now get some 10-24 wing nuts. 4 total. thread those on and bam the terminal is done. now just use ring terminals from the leads of the woofer. slide them onto the all thread and tighten down the wing nuts.

I Like Waffle
05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
I dont use terminals in my personal setups because they break easy, and restrict power IMO. I prefer to have it wired straight not flowing through a flimsy *** piece of steel or whatever. For customers boxes i usually do use terminals.

jtomsic
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
anybody have any proof that terminals actually effect power? just out of curiosity.

Buck
05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
multi post ftl

multi post ftl

multi post ftl

multi post ftl

Wowzers.

Like I said, I've never measured it. Just something I heard.

I hate putting terminals in. It's so much easier to just drill a hole and run your wire through it.

Oh ya I still have subs with push terminals. They definitely don't keep you from getting loud.

jtomsic
05-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Wowzers.

Like I said, I've never measured it. Just something I heard.

I hate putting terminals in. It's so much easier to just drill a hole and run your wire through it.

Oh ya I still have subs with push terminals. They definitely don't keep you from getting loud.

i just drill a hole and run wires through but i have a terminal sitting here and was debating on putting it in..it will look alot nicer/cleaner but dont want to hinder the performance of the sub for cosmetic reasons.. i had heard alot of these things before also but was wondering if anyone had an proof to make my decision a little clearer.. not a big deal to install the cup..just a hole saw away lol.

Buck
05-29-2011, 07:35 PM
If you want clean, I wouldn't do a terminal but do those brass plated bolts thru the box.

jtomsic
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
yeah i do like the way that looks too. plus i dont have a big hole for terminal i can pretty much run the all thread through the holes i drilled for my wires.. so i think that might be the route i go.

thevic24
05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
I use all thread and nuts and washers. On my last build, I took the parts to work and gold plated them just to see if it made a difference.
It didn't but I would think it should help with signal transfer and corrosion???

Frito11
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
10% LOL, you heard wrong. The owner of audioque was touting the same bullshit on another forum once upon a time. Go get a dmm and see how much resistance a push terminal or terminal cup gives you. :rolleyes:

lol yeah i call bs on that one as well, unless the terminal is made of some crappy materials its not going to add any resistance, your speaker wire is more likely to if its too long or to small for the length etc :)

i will agree with everyone though i don't use terminals on my boxes i build because your just making more work for yourself and removing more wood than is needed just to get 2 wires through to the woofer. sometimes when im really lazy i just run my wires through the port if its a large square port, sure it could change the tuning freq slightly but if the ports large enough already it wont do much to its sound

Vossy
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Drill a hole, put wire through. Caulk and call it a day