PDA

View Full Version : to rear fill or not to rear fill

Acidburn
02-16-2004, 11:26 PM
i am planning to put a set of 6.5" comps in custom kick panels in my 91 suburban and i was wondering if it would be worth it to have rear speakers too, normally i know its not that necesary but with such a large car it might be good to have them, also if it is a good idea then should i get 6.5" comps, 6.5" coaxes, or 6"x9"s

indosia
02-17-2004, 05:55 AM
don't do it. All the highs should come from in front of you. It's annoying to have high freq. behind you. ok for subs, you can't tell where low bass is coming from. 2 mids and 2 tweets + bass is all you need. If your without a subwoofer. and have factory 6.5 in the rear , look for a couple free air 6.5 subs. . I think JL make 6.5w0s or kenwood . crutchfie;d has the kenwoods for like 30 each i think. ANd that would sound good, you would need a crossover though.

kappa546
02-17-2004, 10:48 PM
normally i say no to rear fill... but in such a big car im inclined to say yes. the jl's are a good idea, but dont run them too high... im not sayin that they coulndt, simply that it'll be more transparent.

nosaj070
02-17-2004, 11:00 PM
You Definetly need rear fill in that car. In the back seat the passenger wouldn't be able to hear anything. Components wouldn't be a bad idea, just make sure it is faded a little bit foward and it should sound fine with minimal imaging screwed up.

Acidburn
02-17-2004, 11:21 PM
alright, 6.5" comps front and back works for me, i know a place to get Cadence ones fairly cheeply, i could make cool fiberglass mounts for the rears that fit in those silly 4x10 holes... **** weird sized speakers... thanks guys

Acidburn
02-17-2004, 11:32 PM
i also just remember that Cadence makes 8" coaxes, would these be better than the 6.5" comps for the rear fill?

indosia
02-18-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm serious bro it's annoying to have highs coming from behind you. One set of 6.5 components givin enough power is enough to fill any car. As long as there in the right place. . Or even better get a 3 way component set. If you were at a concert, the sound would all be coming from infront. Should be same in your car. Take the money you were gonna spend on rears and buy 1 set high end components and a 100-150x2 amp. If your not going to use an amp and are just replacing factory speakers then forget what i said and get some rear coaxs.

limitkid7
02-18-2004, 01:00 PM
get rear fill...... do NOT get components there though, that is a NO NO!

Logikalliquid
02-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Being such a big vehicle, I would definately get some rear fill. Even if you just get a set of 6.5' 2ways off the head unit your passengers will thank you. If you went with fronts only, could you mount them across the ceiling without screwing up the stage? I know I've seen these ceiling mount speaker packs in jcwhitney, that just gave me the idea.

iceteebone
02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
just get some factory sized coaxils and run them off the headunit and run a pair of components up front. try disconnecting the rear speakers run your components and if feel the need for rear fill just buy some half-way decent coaxils put them in and run them off your headunit.

ngsm13
02-18-2004, 02:12 PM
yeah, DO NOT get components in the rear. Get soem nice 6.5" coaxials...just to fill in sound a lil in the rear of that large vehicle. A great choice would be the CDT cl-6x's on thezeb.com for like $45. Great speakers...wht u need to fill in back there. peace

NG

indosia
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Components in fornt subs in rear.

kungfoojesus
02-19-2004, 07:06 PM
coax in rear and components up front!

allyourblood
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
another vote for comps up front and coaxs in the rear. DO NOT go without rear fill!

abe m.

helotaxi
02-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Midrange/midbass in the rear (no tweet and playing a really narrow passband) and components up front. That is if you must have fill. Think about this, you only had two speakers filling your living room with sound for a lond time and that is a lot bigger space and you were probably running less power doing it. Why would your car, even a Suburban, be harder to fill with sound?

nosaj070
02-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Midrange/midbass in the rear (no tweet and playing a really narrow passband) and components up front. That is if you must have fill. Think about this, you only had two speakers filling your living room with sound for a lond time and that is a lot bigger space and you were probably running less power doing it. Why would your car, even a Suburban, be harder to fill with sound?

I agree but disagree. The difference between a living room and a suburban is first the imaging, and second the outside noise. Living rooms are usually pretty quiet, two speakers(Which also happen to be much larger and in enclosures) have no problem filling hte room with sound. In a car, about everything causes problems, seats can get in the way, and with a car that long there is no way the person in the back seat can hear highs to a song without the driver being deaf. I personally still stick by my decision for components in the back. I don't believe he will be competing in any sq comps in the near futures. I have been in plenty of luxury cars in which there are two sets of componetns (Front and rear in teh door panels) and I havn't really noticed much of an imaging problem. Granted in my civic, i only have front components, but it still can be somewhat difficult to hear anything very clearly.

Please do not take this the wrong way, you know your stuff, much more than me, and I have the utmost respect for you, I am only stating my opinion/experiences.