PDA

View Full Version : vinyl box covering

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
just wondering if anybody has any tips/tricks for how they attack vinyl when covering a box. I do carpet and upholstery work for a living but this is a little different then what I typically work with(material wise) ...just wondering if there is a few little tips and tricks that I might not be aware of for this particular application..

ramos
05-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Sand it , apply the glue to the box and vinyl, let the glue tack up, go slow and pull out the wrinkles as you go. Working with warm vinyl makes life easier. Wrapping a cube shaped enclosure with vinyl is pretty much just like using carpet. Biggest difference is that vinyl will show imperfections in the surface it is applied to, and inperfections in the vinyl itself. :)

fasfocus00
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
heat gun, lots of patience, if you can have a place to tuck seems or sew them. i personally find that vinyl on a rectangular or alike shaped box is only good on a sides with rabbeted edges, any other use is rather difficult.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250064_177619978959493_100001344751103_404499_5502 660_n.jpg

come out great. i do commercial/residentail carpet and i have to upholster steps and all kinds of crazy stuff all the time.. this stuff was alot easier in my opinion.. it doesnt show anything as much as vinyl flooring good old flooring J-Roller makes quick work of bubbles.

T.I.K.
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
what year XXX is that?

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 02:03 PM

i2ain2thunder
05-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Looks very nice I'm thinking about attaching vinyl to my fiberglassed mounts. Good Job

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 02:10 PM
thansk bro. wrapping only becomes difficult when things are rounded more... but you should be able to do with a little glue and some heat ..i didnt even use heat at all for the square box. stapled the bottom and started spraying and smoothing come out nice.

sacsking916
05-26-2011, 05:36 PM
that looks good. all blends well together. the white port is a nice touch also.

slim2fattycake
05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
How did you keep the vinyl smooth going over the sides and corner? Did you wrap all sides of the box or did you leave the bottom unfinished?

i2ain2thunder
05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
would you recommend a certain glue? I was pondering what to use and I was almost thinking some sort of spray adhesive, don't know if that will be strong enough though.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 07:17 PM
would you recommend a certain glue? I was pondering what to use and I was almost thinking some sort of spray adhesive, don't know if that will be strong enough though.

i used 3M spray adhesive 90 and it worked fine im sure you can find something better also but its what the local store had..only time will tell if it holds up though?

How did you keep the vinyl smooth going over the sides and corner? Did you wrap all sides of the box or did you leave the bottom unfinished?

i pulled vinyl tight with my hands then used a wet rag to rub down bubbles and seat the vinyl into glue to make corners... not much more involved other than patience i suppose. the bottom i left unwarapped for most part thats where all my staples were hidden since no one will ever see it anyhow theres no real reason to waste time doing it..

i started from bottom on the front stapled and glued and pulled tight and began wrapping from there pretty much how i was taught to upholster anything... carpet is def a little more forgiving though on seems because of the nap can hide alot so take your time when cutting and i double cut all seems so that they are pretty much invisible. if the spray adhesive doesnt hold on seems you can try contact..but you never know if it will eat the vinyl cause ive seen it do that on construction sites with a lot of materials.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 07:19 PM
that looks good. all blends well together. the white port is a nice touch also.

thanks i have black/white leather seats coming so im trying to pull everything together with the black and white.. the car interior trim pieces are black and white and i have black accents on exterior of car.. everythings flowing nice so far.. im happy with it.

sacsking916
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
thanks i have black/white leather seats coming so im trying to pull everything together with the black and white.. the car interior trim pieces are black and white and i have black accents on exterior of car.. everythings flowing nice so far.. im happy with it.

sounds like it. very nice work man.

dumple
05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Looks real fresh