PDA

View Full Version : Custom fiberglass enclosure

grocery getter
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a cobalt, thinking of making a fiberglass enclosure to fit where factory pioneer sub box would go. I would be using 10" dvc jvc arsenal sub. Needs 1.85 cu ft. would fiberglass be strong enough? Thats ported spec. Sealed is about 1.5 I think. Any suggestions welcome.

dumple
05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Yes fiberglass would be, just make sure you don't skimp on it and do it correctly.

i2ain2thunder
05-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes Fiberglass is tough stuff. Use lots of hardener.

supermaxx123
05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Most 12's will work in 1.5 sealed, use lots of layers of fiberglass.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

don't use a lot of hardner.

fasfocus00
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM

someone's never done fiberglass work. don't use lots of hardener b/c it shortens the time you have to work with, use whatever is recommended. rushing fiberglass only make more work later one.

i2ain2thunder
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh, well I use lots of hardener...always turns out good never had any problems but those guys prob have done more than me I guess use the recommended. sry

grocery getter
05-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Cool, was looking at a website that has advanced sub enclosure building dvd's for both mdf and fiberglass enclosures. I think its offered on this website. Anyone have experience with these instr. dvd's?

fasfocus00
05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
i'll sell you my DVDs for a little cheaper

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
yeah i was always told you want atleast like 6-7 layers to be safe and have a pretty solid fiberglass enclosure.. i personally would just play it by ear but wouldnt go any less than but probably more to be safe.. fiberglass isnt cheap and i wouldnt skimp on a few bucks and have to redo the whole thing. before u buy dvds i would check youtube for tutorials and maybe chceck some DIY type things that explains it..save your money

kgcolbyIII
05-26-2011, 02:22 PM
DO NOT listen to this man he will waste a crapload of money of yours.

kgcolbyIII
05-26-2011, 02:30 PM
You know its strong enough when you cant push in on it anymore. Also iv learned the fiber you use will also effect how many layers you will need. Find a fiberglass supply n get good stuff. Also dont buy lowes or depot resin that stuff sits in storage too long slowly curing itself.

After fiberglass sanding use cold water and wash down only learned that one doing construction fiberglass. Buy a real particle and vapor mask dont use those white dust masks.