PDA

View Full Version : Ext Cab Truck. Which to fire sub and port?

boomzabit
05-21-2011, 10:24 PM
I have an 98 GMC Sierra, and im looking to either getting 1 more 10'' w7 or buy a used 12'' xxx.. The box will sit on my back seat and be right behind the drivers seat.. Do i sub and port up or sub and port foward? or sub up and port to the side? or sub foward and port to the side? or sub forward and port up? or port foward and sub up?

05fronty
05-21-2011, 10:27 PM
my fronty is subs up and port up, for right now until the new box gets built

boomzabit
05-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Whats the setup with the new box?

keep_hope_alive
05-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Keep in mind the box needs to be secured so it can't kill you in a accident, setting boxes on seats is dangerous.

Fire up, port up. Remove the seat and down fire to lead off the floor.

boomzabit
05-22-2011, 01:56 AM
I know man, i have to figure something out just incase **** goes down.

Facing the subs to the floor seems like alot of restriction..

Im guessing sub up port up is probably the best bet?

Buck
05-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Subs up port up
subs up port side

If you take backseat out and have a big box, the subs forward port up all the way across the rear of the enclosure, like this:

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/jtbuck92/1%20dollar%20box%20designs/thatnascardudelulz2dcxl18soverall3d.png

boomzabit
05-22-2011, 02:03 AM
^ That would be awesome. Now why not subs up, port forward?

Buck
05-22-2011, 02:04 AM
^ That would be awesome. Now why not subs up, port forward?

Sound kind of gets absorbed by the seats coming out of the port. If that makes sense. It gets muffled, plus no solid loading wall.

boomzabit
05-22-2011, 02:07 AM
I see what your saying.. now look at keep_hope_alive's post. Does his statement hold any water? subs facing the floor? wouldnt that damping the sound big time?

Buck
05-22-2011, 02:12 AM
He is right. The floor is probably one of the best loading surfaces based on the fact that it's very solid. Think about flexing. Your floor is going to flex the least.

With that being said, most setups where anything facing the floor that I have seen have been strictly SPL.

audioholic
05-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Down firing is not just for SPL. If done correctly, DF can sound as good or better than non-loaded setups. Proper front loading a speaker improves linearity. If the box is not built high enough off the floor however, a quasi-bandpass effect can occur and output will be peaky.

T.I.K.
05-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Down firing is not just for SPL. If done correctly, DF can sound as good or better than non-loaded setups. Proper front loading a speaker improves linearity. If the box is not built high enough off the floor however, a quasi-bandpass effect can occur and output will be peaky.

I've been wanting to do a down firing enclosure for the longest time now, and you've pretty much sealed the deal for me. Would it be better for it to fire directly at the floor, or would it be better for it to fire directly at a piece of MDF?

thevic24
05-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I have my sub firing up and the port about 4" from the pass side wall to load off of.
Works very well and is about 1db(.8) louder vs port and sub up.

truckramrod
05-22-2011, 02:19 PM
He is right. The floor is probably one of the best loading surfaces based on the fact that it's very solid. Think about flexing. Your floor is going to flex the least.

With that being said, most setups where anything facing the floor that I have seen have been strictly SPL.

I had a 12w7 in a 3 cube box 38hz tuned box downfiring in my sonoma on only 500 watts.

I did this a temp install but found it really helped lower the tuning ( I assume by loading the sub and the port about 3.5 inches from the floor.)

I loved that setup and I wish I never sold the sub.

RAM_Designs
05-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Sub and and port to the side works great from what I've seen in ext cab trucks...I'll be trying it in my 4-door shortly.

boomzabit
05-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Okay heres what i think is a legit question.. Say im running 2 10's.. the box is 12''h x 12''d x ?''w.. would you guys sub up/port up ooorrrr sub forward/port forward?

Say i end up going sub up port up.. would it make more sense to make the box really tall and try and get the sub and port close to the roof/ or try and keep the sub and port further away from the roof?

outsideshot23
05-23-2011, 02:17 AM
subs fwd port up for usaci and subs up port back for meca... subs fwd port up is always the loudest.. ive gone alot of testing in ext cab sierras.... or both subs on pass side and port up on driver side works really well also

RAM_Designs
05-23-2011, 02:26 AM
subs fwd port up for usaci and subs up port back for meca... subs fwd port up is always the loudest.. ive gone alot of testing in ext cab sierras.... or both subs on pass side and port up on driver side works really well also

This is what I usually do in my 4-door.

boomzabit
05-23-2011, 02:55 AM

So subs facing forward and port up is most likely the loudest daily? Since i dont compete..

The box will be behind the drivers seat, how will the port look if i were to port up? Basically like the picture on the first page?