PDA

View Full Version : Dayton 10" HO

dan5505
05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
So I picked up a 10" Dayton HO from parts express for $127. Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462)

I put it in a sealed .85 ft^3 box. I've been listening to it for a couple days now. It is probably the best sound quality sub I have ever owned. I mostly listen to rock and electronic. This sub keeps up well and produces crisp clean bass. If you just like to vibrate things, this probably inst the sub for you.

I bought this sub to replace a 15" Fi Q. I found the Fi did not respond well at lower volumes. Things tend to sound a little muddy. The Fi loves the hip hop genre at high volume.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/dan5505/IMG_20110519_172734.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/dan5505/IMG_20110519_172631.jpg

LaserRed38
05-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Love em. They're so simplistic too. No bling. Check out AE Speakers too...

Bumpin' Goalie
05-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Very nice speakers. I think they're underrated and overlooked for people wanting accurate bass reproduction on a budget.

Heeltoeclutch
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
My friend is thinking about one of these for a simple SQ setup - how much power are you giving it? loud enough?

Thanks man :)

whitedragon551
05-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Im thinking about one or a pair of these as well right now.

dan5505
05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Its getting 533 Watts from this amp:
Kenwood Excelon KAC-X812D Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_16895_Kenwood_Excelon_KAC-X812D.aspx)

It's enough to power one of them, maybe two in parallel. I have the gain turned all the way up, but the base control levels are set low. I haven't pushed it very far yet, and I need to do some more amp tuning. Overall, I'm happy with it.

dan5505
05-23-2011, 11:48 PM
loud enough?

Loud enough for my ears.

wettems35
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I have some boston acoustics sr 50 for the front. Do you think one of these boxed up in the trunk will be good enough for a camry? 2 of these? or just one 12? Like you, I do want some bass because i listen to a lot of hip hop, but good clean sound quality is what I prefer the most

duanebro
11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
These are great subs, and they like very small boxes. I'd go with a 12" sealed. If you want more Spl they will work in ported nicely too.

KnightWhoSaysNI
11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
they're a big hit over on DIYMA, i think they supposedly work best in .75 ported if i remember right. seems small but apparently that's where they like to be. Tons of threads on them over there.

Oh and OP, I think you need a few more AKs :up2somet:

Why So Cereal?
11-29-2011, 07:46 PM
They work best in 0.7 cubes tuned to ~30hz.

Great subs! I own 2 and i refuse to say "they're good for the price you pay". That would be an understatement! They are just plain good! Point blank period! Some of the best SQ subs I've ever heard.

Why So Cereal?
11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
I have some boston acoustics sr 50 for the front. Do you think one of these boxed up in the trunk will be good enough for a camry? 2 of these? or just one 12? Like you, I do want some bass because i listen to a lot of hip hop, but good clean sound quality is what I prefer the most

get 2 of em or atleast one ported. i'm doing an SQ build but I do like to be able to crank it and flex a little sometimes and my 2 10s do just that. SQ is top notch and I wasnt expecting it, but they still flex my quarter panels and sunroof when I crank em up. Tune low like 29 to 30hz, make sure you seal your front doors with the comps to get the best midbass and you'll be happy! I know I am!

06goat
11-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Thinking about one of these since my XXX is more weight than I want to add.

wettems35
11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
get 2 of em or atleast one ported. i'm doing an SQ build but I do like to be able to crank it and flex a little sometimes and my 2 10s do just that. SQ is top notch and I wasnt expecting it, but they still flex my quarter panels and sunroof when I crank em up. Tune low like 29 to 30hz, make sure you seal your front doors with the comps to get the best midbass and you'll be happy! I know I am!

Yea i have heard that these sound best when ported. I think im going with one of these ported, but a 12. I'm a little on the fence though, because I've read that the re audio SEx12-d4 is a little better. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm most likely sticking to the daytons but do any of you have experience with the RE ***? Ive read that that the model before was practically the same, but made in the U.S. These are made in China which is why im probably not going to get them

wenn_du_weinst
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
the RE is chinese made and no where near the old ones. Don't let the jack *** greg lie to you. He has been caught on video saying how much his customers are stupid and listen to what ever he says so he could sell garbage for high dollar.

jj4475
11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
what a ****

wettems35
11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
the RE is chinese made and no where near the old ones. Don't let the jack *** greg lie to you. He has been caught on video saying how much his customers are stupid and listen to what ever he says so he could sell garbage for high dollar.

I appreciate the advice! I'll be going with 12" dayton. Any recommendation on a amp for this baby since you guys have had them

jj4475
11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Anything but a kenwood lol. Jkkk

Why So Cereal?
12-01-2011, 02:32 AM
I appreciate the advice! I'll be going with 12" dayton. Any recommendation on a amp for this baby since you guys have had them

if you get the DVC one, a nice Boston Acoustics GTA 800m or Kicker ZX750.1 would be my choice.

wettems35
12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
i bought the 12" dvc ho dayton. And I got the boston amp you recommended. Just waiting for them to get everything installed. So Ported would be best for this right? Like i said before, this is my first audio system and I've been looking for the best way to set these up. I dont want to end up blowing the sub up.

Why So Cereal?
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
With the power you have, you could go sealed or ported. Jus personal preference. I went ported with mine and iI love it. I've never modeled the 12 but I imagine it likes ssmall ported boxes as well. I'm sure pro rabbit or one of the box builders could get you a box design. I'm sure you'll love it bro. Mine impress me more and more everyday.

wettems35
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
ima go with a small ported then. I messaged pro-rabbit but nothing. I'll have everything by fri and i just want to install my stuff already. As far as the dimensions of the box, what do you think will be best? And will tuning it to 29-30hz be fine for the 12 as well?

Why So Cereal?
12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
ima go with a small ported then. I messaged pro-rabbit but nothing. I'll have everything by fri and i just want to install my stuff already. As far as the dimensions of the box, what do you think will be best? And will tuning it to 29-30hz be fine for the 12 as well?

I would model it for you in WinISD but my laptop is acting up ATM so idk really on dimensions. As far as tuning, id say the 29 to 30 Hz tuning should still be good. All depends on what sound you're after too.

wettems35
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
thanks man. Ill just ask the guy for a small ported box when I get the installation done. Hopefully he does a good job

Why So Cereal?
12-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't buy a prefab box unless you're going sealed man. Try and get one designed. Ram designs is another good source. Mobile enclousurs too

duanebro
12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
thanks man. Ill just ask the guy for a small ported box when I get the installation done. Hopefully he does a good job

Small is relative, if his small is 1.5cf then it will not sound very good. these subs are designed to go in tiny boxes. See if you can find a design on the web for him.

wenn_du_weinst
12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't use a prefab sealed either. you need major bracing and deadening to have a good sealed box.

wettems35
12-16-2011, 08:04 PM
i just went to mobile enclosures. So they just make the design for you right? I'll do that then. You know you've basically picked out my entire system. There's a lot of pressure on you bro lol

Why So Cereal?
12-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Did a little searching for ya. Those dayton HO 12s like about 1 cube no more than 1.2 cubes after all displacements I.e. port and sub

Why So Cereal?
12-16-2011, 08:12 PM
i just went to mobile enclosures. So they just make the design for you right? I'll do that then. You know you've basically picked out my entire system. There's a lot of pressure on you bro lol

Haha. I'm sure you'll be satisfied if you're just after a nice clean bump. They get fairly loud too. I'm running the same power as u split between 2 HO 10s and pulled 135db on music today.

Why So Cereal?
12-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh and btw, Im pretty sure he ccan also build the box for u and ship it to u

wettems35
12-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Small is relative, if his small is 1.5cf then it will not sound very good. these subs are designed to go in tiny boxes. See if you can find a design on the web for him.

You think I can find a good design online without having to pay for one? I'll start looking around then. Saving a few bucks would be really good at this moment.

wettems35
12-19-2011, 02:31 AM
well i ended up going with pro rabbit. he suggested i go with a sealed box so i guess ill go with that. Hopefully it brings enough noise.

wettems35
12-30-2011, 06:51 PM
i finally installed every single thing in my car, and i looooved the sound. But my **** subwoofer went out in the middle of the night. My bro had to take my car back to the installation place because im working, and they said i blew it out. Idk how thats possible when i was using a 800 watt amp. its 700 rms and 1000 max. Im really praying theyre full of crap, but can that really happen? I had it about 20 on the vol, so i didnt push it toooo hard

Why So Cereal?
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
i finally installed every single thing in my car, and i looooved the sound. But my **** subwoofer went out in the middle of the night. My bro had to take my car back to the installation place because im working, and they said i blew it out. Idk how thats possible when i was using a 800 watt amp. its 700 rms and 1000 max. Im really praying theyre full of crap, but can that really happen? I had it about 20 on the vol, so i didnt push it toooo hard

holy fish dog shite! that sukcs! how did you set the amp gain?

wettems35
12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
honestly man, this was my first sound system ever, so I have no idea how they set it. If i knew how to do it myself i would have. But they did all the work. My components are still working so now that this has happened to my sub, is there any certain way you suggest i set the amp for the components? im gonna have someone look at the sub, idk if theres any way to repair it. Spending another 160 is really gonna hurt my pocket

Why So Cereal?
12-30-2011, 07:08 PM
honestly man, this was my first sound system ever, so I have no idea how they set it. If i knew how to do it myself i would have. But they did all the work. My components are still working so now that this has happened to my sub, is there any certain way you suggest i set the amp for the components? im gonna have someone look at the sub, idk if theres any way to repair it. Spending another 160 is really gonna hurt my pocket

if they set the gains its their fault! make them fix it! you werent running any bass boost or anything on the HU were you? did u just use all of the settings they had and played it? also whats the highest volume your HU goes to?

as for the comps, the "correct" way is with an Oscilloscope, there are a few that you can rent here on the forum to use. "dgaf" has a nice one. I borrowed his before and he's pretty cool as well. Personally, I set mine by ear but I wouldnt recommend most ppl do that unless you know exactly what youre listening for or have a specific reason to set by ear. (I dont ever really crank mine that high and I'm quick to back off my volume when I hear ANYTHING even if its something outside the car lol and I dont really like setting my gains to 3/4 HU volume because Im just weird and dont like seeing high volume numbers on my HU so I've always just gone by ear and have yet to blow a mid, midbass or tweeter ever since I've been in the game, but all of this is just me rambling so disregard lol) some ppl use the DMM method as well.

Parts express has some great customer service as well since you bought it thru them. But I'd take it up with the installer first depending on your answers to the above questions.

wettems35
12-30-2011, 07:48 PM
my uncle just checked the amp and said the gain was only tuned halfway up. as for the rest ill have to check when i get home. I guess I will email parts express right now. Hopefully they can help out. Im so bummed out right now

Why So Cereal?
12-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Take the sub out of the box and see if you can see exactly whats wrong with it.

Also, as long as you simply used the settings the shop set on the amp and HU, its their fault it blew. What kind of HU are you running?

*you may want to start a thread in the General discussion forum stating the issue you've had and see what others think as well. I'm blaming the shop so far.

wettems35
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Im at work but I think this is the hu I have Sony Xplod CDX-GT700HD.
It's my fault for taking it to pretty unprofessional place. There's about 10 spots in the same block and they fight for customers. I'll take the loss as a lesson learned. I emailed crutchfield and I am waiting on a reply. Either way, I absolutely loved the sound on the subwoofer and will probably end up getting another one regardless of what they're willing to do for me or not. I'll take it to a good place this time around though, just so they can check the components to see if they're set correctly and actually do a good job on the subwoofer. The weird thing is is that it was only tuned halfway on the amp so that's what's troubling me. Hopefully crutchfield is willing to work with me.

Why So Cereal?
12-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Why contact Crutchfield? The sub came from parts express right?

wettems35
12-30-2011, 10:04 PM
oops i meant parts-express. I was on crutchfield searching for the HU when I typed that lol

Why So Cereal?
12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Lol make sure ya update with what happens there. Id love to know.

wettems35
12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the help man.

Why So Cereal?
12-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Not a problem

RAM_Designs
12-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Depending on your radio and the exact gain setting, having the gain "just half way up" can still send a clipped signal to the sub and cause it to overheat when you have your volume knob cranked up.