PDA

View Full Version : False wall/loading wall?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 11:42 AM
A friend of mine is buying a 2001 Impala this week and wants me to do a system for him, we've got everything we need and the sub stage will be a custom TC-7 on an AP1500 @ 2 ohms. Now he kinda wants me to do a false wall so when you open the trunk you can't see the sub at all, would I be able to turn the box so it loads off the false wall like it would the back of the trunk, or should I just seal it off from the trunk?

sacsking916
05-20-2011, 12:32 PM
why does he want a false wall?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
why does he want a false wall?

basically to keep the trunk clean and so he doesn't have to worry about stuff back there and the sub. The way I look at it is if I use it as a loading wall it's just keep taking the trunk and shortening it a foot or two, he wants this as clean as possible.

sacsking916
05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
cutting out the rear deck for the air to flow into the cabin?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
cutting out the rear deck for the air to flow into the cabin?

nope, the seats fold down so he'll be okay that way. My main question was if I should load it off the false wall or if I should just seal it off from the trunk.

Ronny
05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Will he be driving around with the seats folded down usually? I'd just fire into cabin if that's the case. How much room around the enclosure would there be for the woofers to fire back into the cabin if you did a false wall?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Will he be driving around with the seats folded down usually? I'd just fire into cabin if that's the case. How much room around the enclosure would there be for the woofers to fire back into the cabin if you did a false wall?

as much as I want, I'm free to do what I want with the design he was just clear with me that he wants it clean and doesn't wanna see the sub or amp or anything when he opens the trunk. I'm thinking I'll leave around 6 inches on each side, maybe more.

r1banshee
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

+1
Just fire into the cabin, and build a wall on the back side in the trunk. Thus keeping the trunk clean, and if he wants to show off his setup he can keep his seats down. Also this would keep alot of trunk space. You would not even know that he had a sub from the trunk view. With no trunk noise.

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I thought a downside to firing into the cabin is it raises the peak tuning and we don't really want that.

dumple
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Could you just do sub forward port back and make a beauty board type of thing to cover the gaps?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Could you just do sub forward port back and make a beauty board type of thing to cover the gaps?

why would I do port back? I've never seen that before

and do you mean like the only hole in the wall would be for the port?

sacsking916
05-20-2011, 03:25 PM
why not IB it?

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
why not IB it?

we already have the sub, he bought it for his current car but before we ever installed it he sold the car and is picking up an impala this week.

GLN305
05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Down fire the sub, fixes all the problems.

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Down fire the sub, fixes all the problems.

ehhh.

thanks for all the input, I decided I can build the box, try loading off the false wall, then build a beauty panel to see how it sounds firing into the cabin and sealed.

Kazimir
05-20-2011, 05:06 PM
You could set it up normally facing the rear. The for the false wall, build a frame and use a mesh wire to fill the holes. Throw carpet over that. Should be strong if braced properly and provide the sub with more air space. I don't believe this would effect sub level waves and should solve all problems.

MONSONwarrior
05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
You could set it up normally facing the rear. The for the false wall, build a frame and use a mesh wire to fill the holes. Throw carpet over that. Should be strong if braced properly and provide the sub with more air space. I don't believe this would effect sub level waves and should solve all problems.

I don't see what "problems" would occur with it loading off a piece of MDF. It basically acts like the back wall/lid of the trunk, it's just moved up a foot or two.