PDA

View Full Version : Subs back Ports forward?

FISHKILLER
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Just about to build a new box for my 2 10"w6's in my ext cab chevy with no back seat. Currently have them in a sealed box facing the rear for a good loading effect. My question is should I build my box for my subs facing back for the loading and ports forward or other? Really enjoy the sound and crispness of my sealed box but would like to hear a quality ported box for comparisons sake. Thanks for the help.

CRXBMPN
05-20-2011, 09:19 AM
maybe subs back ports to the side, but i wouldnt do what you want... now subs forward port back worked wonders for me, but not vice versa, kind of odd...

FISHKILLER
05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Crazy. So yo had it subs back ports to the side before then switched to subs forward port back?

ChevyRidinLow
05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
generally between the 2 subs forward port back (reflecting port air off of a hard surface) is the preferred placement

FISHKILLER
05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Why is this though? Why would the subs not need a wall like my sealed box? More sound coming from the ports then the subs then?

Falcons
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
its just the way sound waves work. the sound basically picks up speed by hitting the hard surface and shoots right into the cabin. however, if you do want to have the port forward i suggest sealing off the trunk so no air can get into it basically making the cabin smaller and therefore more airflow. but this is quite expensive, however worth it to me anyway. but if this is your first box, i suggest port back subs forward, but its all about personal prefrence.

FISHKILLER
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Its in the cab of my truck. Small space. Will be my first ported box but many sealed boxes in the past. Just spoke with the JL tech. Think I will go with port an sub on same side this way I can face forward or aft easily then build a prmanent box the way I like best.

ChevyRidinLow
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
i dont like subs facing front because you lose the lowness and some of the vibration, and you hear the actual sub and it doest sound like bass. when facing the other way the soundwaves bounce off of whatever is there which slows them down and makes it lower fuller and easier to feel