PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Grand Am 2000 (Coupe) front speakers ?

truedatt
02-16-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey all!

I am a newbie to this message board, and basically a newbie to car stereo installation (although I have installed about 10+ receivers, and speakers, subwoofers and amps in my car and others).

Basically I am looking for information on how to go about changing the front speakers on my 2000 Pontiac Grand AM. My brother had the same car, and totalled his...so we had to get his speakers out. The back speakers were easy to get out, but the front were difficult. Since the car was totalled, we went about getting the front speakers out the messy way! LOL! When I install his speakers in my Grand AM, I'd like to do it right! Where can I go about getting information on doing this? I'd also like to replace the tweeters as well and run my own wire to my amplifier (which I will eventually be putting in da trunk!).

What I am wondering is, is there a book I should buy for this? Or is there somewhere online where I can get help on doing this?

Thanks in advance!
Josh

desi_daru
02-16-2004, 05:22 AM
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval.htm

BUT i cant find the 2000 grand am, only upto 95, maybe still the same.... i dunno worth a look for u atleast

truedatt
02-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks desi_daru!

I actually did some searching around and saw that link that you provided.

I also found this: http://www.xtremega.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2600#post2600

I don't know how accurate this is. Can anyone confirm this info?

Thanks!
Josh

Pete
02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
That link is pretty close from what I remember... another place they try to hide screws is in the black handle you pull to open the door from the inside. Alot of times there is a cover that needs to be popped off to see the screw.

Just be careful on the newer cars the plastic will bend a decent amount before breaking so just double check to make sure you have all the screws out then start pulling out the clips around the edge watching for any parts that aren't moving at all as there might be a screw you missed there. When all the clips are released just lift the door panel up and off the door.

You can check out most automotive stores for a chilton or similar book on your car that tells you everything about it and how to do almost every repair as well.

truedatt
02-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks Pete,

What about these "panel removal tools" (such as the one I saw on sounddomain.com), that pop fasteners and clips "easily"? Are they worth purchasing for approx $5? Any other tools recommended for a GM vehicle such as the Pontiac GrandAm 2000?

Thanks,
Josh

bumpn_gt
02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
the tool is an asset to have...you will need it when you change headlights also......I have the same car ('00 grand am gt coupe) so if you have any q's hit me up on AOL (bumpngt)

Pete
02-16-2004, 10:06 PM
if you do alot of installs panel poppers and cotterpin removers come in very handy in alot of different situations.

Other than that for GM cars a #2 phillips and stubby, 5.5 7 and 10 mm sockets and a small 1/4" drive ratchet are all you really need.

desi_daru
02-19-2004, 03:26 PM
ppl like me would need the tool, but ppl like my friend can pop it off in literally under 5secs with like a knife/screw driver watever he has handy lol