PDA

View Full Version : Considering a couple head units, no recent experience

dstaley
05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle!

I was a car stereo technician in the 80's but gave it up for engineering school. I haven't had any good luck in the few (2) new car stereos I have bought in the last 15 years, so I'm looking for some feedback from you all.

I have three cars I'm working with:

2004 Ford Taurus SES- daily driver, 100% stock at the moment. Plans: get BT enabled receiver for slightly better sound + iPod link + bluetooth hands-free phone capability. I have no plans to install any external amplifiers/aftermarket speakers, in fact I may not keep this car much longer (but I will put the OEM stereo back in and move it to my next vehicle).
2001 Silverado 2500 4x4- very occasional use, 100% stock, but OEM stereo died a couple months ago. I'm planning on buying another copy of the stereo chosen for the above daily driver, for exactly the same features and benefits.
1976 Corvette- This has a 10" rear sub and front component speakers, a matching complement of amplifiers, capacitor, etc. but the Kenwood Excelon head unit is buggy. I'm planning on replacing the stereo with a very similar model as the above two cars. I almost always drive this with the T-tops and rear window out and the side windows down.

The benefits of the strategy I have in mind are pretty obvious- I get the same features, functionality, and in fact exactly the same operation in all three cars- so it's easy to hop into whichever one I want for the drive to work or a fun cruise on the strip and I'm right at home with the stereo. No distractions, no trying to remember which button does what or how to navigate songs on my iPod.

The models I am looking at are the Alpine CDE-125BT for the Taurus and the Silverado, and the CDE-126BT for the Corvette.

Is there anything about these that I will probably be disappointed in? Your thoughts?