PDA

View Full Version : What can we do?

whitedragon551
05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
As some of you may know the old mods and the new rules have kind of run some people off. As such other forums have started to pick up. This is where our user base comes in.

What can we do to get more active members. Id like to get some input and then run some of the top ideas across the mods and Goob to try and improve on the already good forum we have.

Buck
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Have a NWS section. *** sells :fyi:

whitedragon551
05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Doubt that would happen. Our forum is paid for by the ads. Without Google's cooperation this place wouldnt exist so we have to follow those rules.

Im talking about adding features, changes to what rules we have, etc.

Buck
05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I was being 100% serious, and caco managed to do it. ANT has put ads all over that ish.

Honestly, I think the rules are fair here.

Imtjnotu
05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
there should be a secion where only new members can post until they reach a certain post count

CarAudio.com Admin
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Have a NWS section. *** sells :fyi:

Yes, *** sells, but not for a car audio web site. Plus, the advertisers as a whole wouldn't allow it. Neither would the server company where we are hosted, although it's a dedicated server, etc.

If we are losing too many members, then obviously the rules the have been implemented recently are too strict and need to back off a little though...

Bettr n' Revrse
05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Make me mod! hahaha... Lets start a FB section? we did with Duramax forum and all sorts of members added it and IM and what not...

MisterDeadeye
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think any of the rules here are too strict. If people don't like being professional, they don't have to be here. There's no reason to be immature. That's why there are other forums - for the immature morons.

whitedragon551
05-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I was being 100% serious, and caco managed to do it. ANT has put ads all over that ish.

Honestly, I think the rules are fair here.

Ant pays someone to write the code for those ads.

Yes, *** sells, but not for a car audio web site. Plus, the advertisers as a whole wouldn't allow it. Neither would the server company where we are hosted, although it's a dedicated server, etc.

If we are losing too many members, then obviously the rules the have been implemented recently are too strict and need to back off a little though...

The only rules that are really cracked down on are the classified rules and the racial slurs.

jtomsic
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
facebook feature would def. bring in some new members... theres also never giveaways or anything on this forum like on other car audio forums i goto.. doesnt seem to be really any companies that are super active on this forum like others either...they used to be when i first joined tho.. i can remember quite a few always posting here..

schackel
05-10-2011, 05:25 PM

if its so obvious then do it!

Bettr n' Revrse
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
facebook feature would def. bring in some new members... theres also never giveaways or anything on this forum like on other car audio forums i goto.. doesnt seem to be really any companies that are super active on this forum like others either...they used to be when i first joined tho.. i can remember quite a few always posting here..

I agree we need a company section and get more reps involved...

schackel
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think any of the rules here are too strict. If people don't like being professional, they don't have to be here. There's no reason to be immature. That's why there are other forums - for the immature morons.

when i think caraudio.com i DO NOT think mature and in-moronic.....:fyi:
A huge part of forums is BS and a huge part of BS is maturity or lack there of.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I agree we need a company section and get more reps involved...

agreed. jacob does not even get on here mucho anymores

sobe3yourself.
05-10-2011, 05:33 PM
ANYTHING goes in the dome...thats the point and thats not how things are now.

TD is members only anyway. make it a 500 or 1000 post limit to get in or something like that

jco1385
05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
i need to be able to say ninja without gettin bant :fyi:

Bettr n' Revrse
05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Like how SSA and Duramax forum has a sections for every company... And the Reps give a hell of a discount to members...

whitedragon551
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
i need to be able to say ninja without gettin bant :fyi:

That wouldnt be an issue if you and a few others didnt push the N word issue so much and use it as a substitution. Now we have to assume youre being racist.

jco1385
05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
but all the music i listen to isnt racist :crap:

you're* (btw ;))

MisterDeadeye
05-26-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't think posts in the Dome should add to your cumulative post count. My reasoning is simple. Higher post counts bring status, whether you like it or not. The whole idea of this forum is respectful, helpful information and discussion of car audio. When a new member joins, he/she won't just believe everything everyone says, and for good reason - many people just don't know what they're talking about. Now, if a member with 20k+ posts chimes in, the new member will be more likely to listen, and possibly change his/her opinions to that of the person with the most posts. That's not necessarily because they're the only ones correct, or even because their posts were filled with the most information(although this also plays a large role). It's because the new member thinks the veteran knows more. After all, this forum is supposed to be about helping those in need of help and discussing different aspects of car audio.

On the other hand, if a new member creates a topic asking for suggestions on their system(which is inevitably going to be an awful system), and the veteran member he/she is looking up to chimes in with, "You should buy a 1,000,000,000,000 farad capacitor loooloolloolololololololololool!" the new member will be discouraged, and either not come back, or will think that the forum is operated under the assumption that immaturity is cool and will start to troll similarly.

Now, let's go for a third scenario. The second one doesn't really happen much, and when it does, I'm sure responsible members report the post. In this scenario however, it's not possible to report a post, and one can't exactly report a member(just because the moderators and administrator believe in having more traffic). A new member posts, asking for opinions on buying a new amplifier. A few members post with different suggestions, because they're car audio enthusiasts and they care about what they're talking about. However, another member(with several more thousand posts than the others, most of which come from the Dome because the member is here for the community) posts something undoubtedly sarcastic, and equally ambiguous. The new member doesn't see the sarcasm, and takes the post seriously.

There are many other scenarios, in which other people see the sarcasm and decide to steer away from the site because of the unprofessional stance the moderators seem to take about the mass distribution of fallacious information. Whether you like it or not, the site is a business. Businesses should be professional, and for the life of the business, you have to rid yourself of whoever isn't holding their weight, per se. You don't honestly believe that owners of businesses have left because of the rules you've recently implemented, do you? With some common sense, you can see that these businessmen left because of the lack of professionalism. They left because the floodgates holding all of the trolls in the Thunderdome broke. Your response was a good first step, but putting a band-aid on a broken arm isn't going to help anything.

The real problem of the forum is the immaturity. Deleting posts and adding a couple of rules isn't much more than the band-aid you've already exhausted. You need to completely change the rules. Change your stance on and opinions of the goings on of the forum. Take actual action against the cancer on the site. Clean the Thunderdome. Do something.

If you really want active members, make them WANT to be here. By here, I don't mean the Thunderdome, or the classifieds. They need to want to be here for car audio. Maybe then you'll have more company owners coming to help out and give information. Maybe they'll be willing to contribute financially.

The other ideas like giveaways, vendor forums, etc., are all great as well. The forum needs to have something going for it other than the funny factor of the Dome. Defending the Dome for the sake of keeping members is illogical. There's no happy medium for having trolls or intellectuals. That's why people leave. That's why the site is failing. You can't blame the moderators for not enforcing the rules, and you can't blame the members for not having good enough ideas.

Imtjnotu
05-26-2011, 12:58 AM
How about in the top 15 stats clicking on a particular one brings u to the last post...

whitedragon551
05-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I don't think posts in the Dome should add to your cumulative post count. My reasoning is simple. Higher post counts bring status, whether you like it or not. The whole idea of this forum is respectful, helpful information and discussion of car audio. When a new member joins, he/she won't just believe everything everyone says, and for good reason - many people just don't know what they're talking about. Now, if a member with 20k+ posts chimes in, the new member will be more likely to listen, and possibly change his/her opinions to that of the person with the most posts. That's not necessarily because they're the only ones correct, or even because their posts were filled with the most information(although this also plays a large role). It's because the new member thinks the veteran knows more. After all, this forum is supposed to be about helping those in need of help and discussing different aspects of car audio.

On the other hand, if a new member creates a topic asking for suggestions on their system(which is inevitably going to be an awful system), and the veteran member he/she is looking up to chimes in with, "You should buy a 1,000,000,000,000 farad capacitor loooloolloolololololololololool!" the new member will be discouraged, and either not come back, or will think that the forum is operated under the assumption that immaturity is cool and will start to troll similarly.

Now, let's go for a third scenario. The second one doesn't really happen much, and when it does, I'm sure responsible members report the post. In this scenario however, it's not possible to report a post, and one can't exactly report a member(just because the moderators and administrator believe in having more traffic). A new member posts, asking for opinions on buying a new amplifier. A few members post with different suggestions, because they're car audio enthusiasts and they care about what they're talking about. However, another member(with several more thousand posts than the others, most of which come from the Dome because the member is here for the community) posts something undoubtedly sarcastic, and equally ambiguous. The new member doesn't see the sarcasm, and takes the post seriously.

There are many other scenarios, in which other people see the sarcasm and decide to steer away from the site because of the unprofessional stance the moderators seem to take about the mass distribution of fallacious information. Whether you like it or not, the site is a business. Businesses should be professional, and for the life of the business, you have to rid yourself of whoever isn't holding their weight, per se. You don't honestly believe that owners of businesses have left because of the rules you've recently implemented, do you? With some common sense, you can see that these businessmen left because of the lack of professionalism. They left because the floodgates holding all of the trolls in the Thunderdome broke. Your response was a good first step, but putting a band-aid on a broken arm isn't going to help anything.

All 3 of these scenarios are easily fixable right now. Simply report the post. Trolling in the tech sections isnt allowed and will result in a post deletion, warnings, and vacations depending on the severity of the post.

The real problem of the forum is the immaturity. Deleting posts and adding a couple of rules isn't much more than the band-aid you've already exhausted. You need to completely change the rules. Change your stance on and opinions of the goings on of the forum. Take actual action against the cancer on the site. Clean the Thunderdome. Do something.

The ThunderDome is a rules free zone. Its there for the trolls. It wont get cleaned up thats just the way it is. Hence the reason its a members only zone. The only two rules we maintain there is the racial slurs and the nudity. All else goes unless of course someone lays down some physical threats and then we will look into it on a case by case basis.

If you really want active members, make them WANT to be here. By here, I don't mean the Thunderdome, or the classifieds. They need to want to be here for car audio. Maybe then you'll have more company owners coming to help out and give information. Maybe they'll be willing to contribute financially.

The other ideas like giveaways, vendor forums, etc., are all great as well. The forum needs to have something going for it other than the funny factor of the Dome. Defending the Dome for the sake of keeping members is illogical. There's no happy medium for having trolls or intellectuals. That's why people leave. That's why the site is failing. You can't blame the moderators for not enforcing the rules, and you can't blame the members for not having good enough ideas.

Goob is getting ready to role out vendor sections and vendor advertising as well as changing the advertising rules. There have already been a great number of vendors interested in joining in on this campaign and a few who have already paid for their advertising. They are being brought in slowly but surely.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Goob is getting ready to role out vendor sections and vendor advertising as well as changing the advertising rules. There have already been a great number of vendors interested in joining in on this campaign and a few who have already paid for their advertising. They are being brought in slowly but surely.

that is awesome. im glad a few companies are going to be coming back! any info on what companies are signed up already by chance?

As far as the trolling issue, i think if we(we being all the regular car audio enthusiasts) take a stance that trolling wont be tolerated anymore outside the dome and really start to crack down with punishments that were talked about above things will get better.. I understand the members have to do our part by reporting the posts to help you guys see whats going on. I see the moderators side now and that you cant go through every single post looking for people being stupid ..thats unrealistic so the members need to do our part to help you guys on that. hopefully we can make this place a great place to post and interact with people who share our love for car audio again.

hopefully those vendors will do giveaways and nice things like that.. who knows maybe some of the old regulars will even come back if things change for the good and we can limit the trolling to only the t-dome.. also by old regulars i dont mean the old mods with power trips or anybody that will cause problems again..im referring to people who are knowledgeable and very helpful cause it honestly seemed like there was a lot more before.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 08:44 AM
also i'd like to apologize for my thread yesterday and the things I said..a lot of it got taken out of context and then escalated to an arguement and hopefully I explained my feelings a little better above and what i was actually trying to say. thats all just wanted to apologize for my part in all that. just want to see this place be a nice place to visit and get helpful info again.

jco1385
05-26-2011, 08:45 AM
How about in the top 15 stats clicking on a particular one brings u to the last post...

there is a lil bitty triangle next to the thread that does this.

ramos
05-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I know a few vendors that don't frequent here, not because of the immaturity level, but because of the constant " Give me, give me, give me" that goes on. Tough times to own a business, and constantly giving deep discounts just isn't as easy as it used to be. :)

chunky cumz
05-26-2011, 09:56 AM
all is well just a matter of time...

as long as ANT continues his monopoly scheme of buying all forums he can, soon they will all be driven into the ground and the last one standing will be ca.com.

caco is officially falling.

jtomsic
05-26-2011, 01:30 PM
all is well just a matter of time...

as long as ANT continues his monopoly scheme of buying all forums he can, soon they will all be driven into the ground and the last one standing will be ca.com.

caco is officially falling.

whats the deal with that? i wonder what his thoughts are for buying all of them i dont get it...

ahole-ic
05-26-2011, 01:41 PM
whats the deal with that? i wonder what his thoughts are for buying all of them i dont get it...

Who knows but I'm glad he did. It's helping my little forum out. People just want to exchange good info and shoot the shiite. All of these "larger" forums care about their google ads etc. I don't give a crap about that. i just want members lol. It's really helping people like me.

05trailblazer
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
is there a way we can upload pictures or videos without posting a link???

Sub Woofin
09-01-2011, 11:02 PM
add a chatbox. i like that feature in forums

05trailblazer
09-01-2011, 11:09 PM
What?? How is that explain pls!

05trailblazer
09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Im talking about when ever you composing a pm or posting

hispls
09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I lurked this site for a couple years before I joined up and that was ONLY for the classifieds section. This site was then, is now, and always will be immaturity, flaming, sarcasm, and my e-penor is bigger than yours because you run X brand and I run Y..... People who want real technical info go to DIYMA, and CACO still has way more classifieds than here, SSA has a LOT of good vendor sub-forums, and carstereo.com seems to get the most traffic of newbs asking stupid questions and never coming back.

Let the site be what it is. It's fairly well moderated, reliable, and has a lot of active members (both trolls and serious types).

SicAudio
09-01-2011, 11:28 PM

alot left because of the constant filth... I am an adult and can handle it but as a vendor I would have never "PAID" to be 1 here...way too much drama here compared to other sites...

the site rules are just fine the membership is the issue.. ;)

05trailblazer
09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
well still people should just move on (adult cyber bullying) please

Falcons
09-01-2011, 11:46 PM
get more car audio companies in. we only have like 5 car audio company forums on here. the rules are fine. and i think we just need an overall more professional outlook on helping people. more giveaways also. havent read much of the thread, but i def agree with more companies and giveaways

05trailblazer
09-02-2011, 12:01 AM
yeah just report the trollies.. or move on and ignore the people who want to bash on your system, most of the time bashing is done to you by a person who doesn't own nothing and are just hating... but indeed be more professional on assisting people as i have experienced those types of people who just want to be ignorant idiots

05trailblazer
09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Stop-Internet-Trolling-atsof-573921_200_200.jpg

FtheNutHuggers
09-02-2011, 12:31 AM
You will keep valuable information from being part of your "special" room if you have a post count minimum. That **** is so beyond retarded, it's almost as bad as the four asterisks before the comma in this sentence!

The major reason for the attrition rate is the censorship, the lack of experienced contributors and the lack of excitement. As stated above somewhere, if there were giveaways, more emphasis on system build logs, correct information instead of rampant retardation and misguided recommendation, you'd have more buzz and more vendor curiosity. I firmly believe that a classifieds section should be a site/subsidiary all to itself. Classifieds in conjunction with reputable information don't go hand in hand......and vendors don't like the damned things. Period. It doesn't matter how little they SAY about them or how little they complain if asked. If you were a fly on the wall of the dinner room at a vendors home, you'd hear a few choice words they have to say about classifieds sections. They get caught answering stupid questions about used crap and the bigger the classifieds section gets, the less business the vendor sees from the main portion of the site. Less bidness he sees, the less contributions, giveaways and "sponsorships" you'll see. If vendors aren't present, their perceived value of the site is low. This forum is a joke to most on 12vinsider.com, the industry only forum. But that forum is boring and full of just as much rampant misinformation as caraudio.com. The only thing is, there are more folks there with egos that have no way of being validated than in here. They have shops and work for manufacturers, so they are always right; remember that. RoR.

FtheNutHuggers
09-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Ask yourself "why do companies give **** away"? Answer honestly and you MIGHT just have an epiphany!

CarAudio.com Admin
09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. IMO to address the fact that alot of "newbie" questions are posted, shows that there are still new visitors coming to the site and a fresh audience that can move the site forward over time. Also, as noted earlier, the fact that this site is "caraudio.com", attracts many many type-in visitors, as lots of times this is the first place they would check to get help with issues. We all had to start somewhere, right?

The Advanced car audio forum was started a while back for more technical discussion, but hasn't caught on that well, despite alot of requests for a more advanced discussion type forum. So, not sure what all else I can do on that aspect.

Also, I'm sure most of you haven't noticed, but we're offering a $30 referral (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-unit-classifieds/announcement-refer-vendor-get-%2430.html) for the sign-up of new vendors (with forum), for a limited time. If you want to make some cash, let companies know about our vendor section and that IMO what a great deal it is...