PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I have HAT Imagines!

travicles
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Skip the next paragraph if lazy.. just know I am not the most knowledgeable source. To be honest, I am not sure this review will help anyone lol

I hate to pretend to know what I am talking about. I wish I knew what sq is, but I don't. If anyone knows what they're doing when it comes to sq, I live in Louisiana and would like to hear what its all about. Basically, the only experience I have other than the HATS is my Image Dynamic CTX's in my old car with the tweeters pointed straight forward (I believe this is called on-axis). Those sound good "I guess." I mean they get loud and everything, but the sound from the speaker on the left is what I hear most (I want to make it so the sound is smack in the middle right in front of me; I believe that's what sq is.)

To start off, the speakers are nicely built and are probably amazing as far as coaxials go but I am using them as components. Weird thing about them is the reverse surround. I read the reasoning for this, but have forgotten.

Anyways, I don't know if I am some kind of freak, but I like listening to my music basically as loud as it goes unless I am driving a long way. Right now I have 125 watts to each side for the Imagines. I wish it could be a little louder. It seems that the first thing that clips I think is the midbass for instance S&M by Rihanna, it seems like the tweeters could go louder but the midbass starts bottoming out. Don't get me wrong, they go low for speakers, and I may be doing something wrong who knows lol. I have them crossed at about 70 hz 24 db slope. I think if I had more power going to them I would be happier. At first I had the tweeters in the doors, but moved them up to the apillars with each tweeter facing opposite headrests. I liked this way better, and may try other positioning when I have more time this summer. I have my doors mostly sealed except where there are rods for door locking and door opening.

Probably one of my favorite songs to listen to is led zeppelin whole lotta love because of this awesome guitar solo after about 3 minutes into the song..or any led zeppelin song really..of course I like bass heavy songs too but thats more because of my subwoofer, though the speakers can play loud enough!

Basically, I wish I could get some real life help to get these set up to their full potential. But for a noob like me, I am happy with them!

Slayerx
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Raise you high-pass to 90ish maybe, might help with the distortion.

travicles
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
The thing is that HAT actually recommends 63 hz for these, but I guess that might still help...90 seems pretty high for any decent components

HO-AUDIO
04-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Well basically the way it works is the higher the crossover is set to eliminate some midbass the higher the volume you can go with cleaner output. This is tru for any speaker since covering the midbass freq is where the speakers work the hardest. I have done many vehicles with Imagine series speakers and can run the midbass crossover as low as 63 hz while running under 90 watts rms and they stay very clean.

If greater midbass is what you are trying to accomplish you can take advantage of HAT's upgrade program and get the Claurus series which both have higher power handling and better midbass response. Hope this helps

travicles
04-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Interesting, I thought I was just clipping the midbass or something, but I may have been pushing the midbass to its limit... So the limit of the midbass when crossed at 63 hz is around 100? But as I go up in power to say 150 then it may be like 80 hz or so, correct?

PHD - USA
04-28-2011, 12:52 AM
You're doing it wrong.... I have like 170 going to mine and they don't clip......

travicles
04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
lol good i thought i wasn't pushing them to the limit! I think I may be just sending them a clipped signal, i need more power

PHD - USA
04-28-2011, 12:54 AM
What amp are you using?

travicles
04-28-2011, 12:57 AM
MB Quart ONX4.125 with front 2 channels to speakers and other 2 bridged to a sub

PHD - USA
04-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah.... that's the problem lol

I'm using this

Sony XM-5046 - AmpGuts.com (http://ampguts.com/forum/sony-217/sony-xm-5046-a-3273/)

travicles
04-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I am guessing thats a good amp lol, so would you suggest more power for these? also do you have your tweeters on axis or off.. just curious

Cruzer
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM
To get your sound stage centered u need time alignment via head unit

PHD - USA
04-28-2011, 01:21 AM
I have mine off.

travicles
04-28-2011, 01:27 AM
To get your sound stage centered u need time alignment via head unit
gotcha so i would just need a new hu for that... and it sounds like the passenger would get screwed even more lol

I have mine off.
thank you I am going to try that position next.. I was just worried about the output

disturbed471985
04-28-2011, 05:13 AM
MB Quart ONX4.125 with front 2 channels to speakers and other 2 bridged to a sub

Ur amp is fine. Seems ur issue is with the HU so getting something with alil more toys in it will help u balance ur front stage to ur satisfaction.

subzero
04-28-2011, 05:33 AM
The thing is that HAT actually recommends 63 hz for these, but I guess that might still help...90 seems pretty high for any decent components

I have my comps cut at 125hz and a 6db slope down. I too, like loud. and cutting them that high allows them to keep up better. and my subs I have cut at 125 with 6db slop as well. they blend. but adding a midbass driver somewhere is not out of the question for me. maybe adding a dedicated midbass from 80-1k+- might help. give you room to work with?

disturbed471985
04-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Local dealer sells Hat and I'f I ever have $425 (dealer cash price) to blow I will be running a set of clarius's. To me they just sound amazing but what sounds good to me might now sound good to you but to date I have not heard a set of speakers that can compare to them in sq and output..

travicles
04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
I have my comps cut at 125hz and a 6db slope down. I too, like loud. and cutting them that high allows them to keep up better. and my subs I have cut at 125 with 6db slop as well. they blend. but adding a midbass driver somewhere is not out of the question for me. maybe adding a dedicated midbass from 80-1k+- might help. give you room to work with?

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me. i may try that.

Local dealer sells Hat and I'f I ever have $425 (dealer cash price) to blow I will be running a set of clarius's. To me they just sound amazing but what sounds good to me might now sound good to you but to date I have not heard a set of speakers that can compare to them in sq and output..

Haha that is alot of money for speakers, but you might get the most out of em. I think I better learn how to use my speakers properly before I step up my game that much.

PHD - USA
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Ur amp is fine. Seems ur issue is with the HU so getting something with alil more toys in it will help u balance ur front stage to ur satisfaction.

I'm thinking you're wrong. If he wants more power he either needs to bridge that amp for just the speakers, or else he is going to be sending a clipped signal if he wants to send more power.

travicles
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I think you are both right haha.. i need more power, but I also want a hu with TA. btw, I tried the tweeters in off-axis today and wasn't a big fan..could be because I don't have enough power, but I think its just personal preference.

zako
05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
First, I am surprised that such supposedly decent speakers do not like being crossed at 70Hz. Try 80Hz@24dB crossover. Also check that you have not accidentally switched polarity of one of the speakers. If you still have problems, it's a problem with the amplifier or something else IMHO.

Next thing, have you sound proofed your door? It'd recommended to completely seal the middle section of the door and also apply a few tiles on the exterior door skin. (I have a layer of Dynamat Xtreme and a layer of Dynamat Dynaliner on top on my front doors, and a layer of RAAMmat BXT2 with a layer of Ensoline in my rear doors). This should considerably improve the bass response of your speakers.

Finally, as others have pointed out, it's normal to feel like the speakers closest to you hit harder. The problem is that the human brain always perceives that the source of the sound is based on the direction from where the sound reaches your ears first. In cars, left speakers are at least a foot closer to you than the right speaker and so you always perceive that sounds that are meant to be centered come from the left speaker. The way to fix this is to buy the head unit or processor with time alignment. It makes a noteciable difference IMO. I use a kenwood x994 with custom TA setting.

travicles
05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
In a couple weeks, I am going active with them and also using TA. I hope everything goes well. Basically, I am going to try and follow this guide.. Precision time alignment using only noise tracks and your ears - DIYMA.com (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/96196-precision-time-alignment-using-only-noise-tracks-your-ears.html)
If there is a better way to use TA, please let me know.