PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Audio System Upgrade Help/Advice Needed

ssean
04-27-2011, 02:41 PM
What's up fellas. I need some general advice on upgrading my speakers in my Grand Cherokee.

Current stats are as follows:

Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Head Unit: Cheap Aftermarket Pioneer
Dash: 2x 2.5" tweeters
Front doors (Bass): 2x 6.5" speakers (or 2x 6"x9" speakers)
Rear doors (Full-range): 2x 6.5" speakers
Amplifier: Infinity Gold 6-channel, 180-watts

Most of the speakers are blown out and sound like crap.

I'd like to keep things simple and replace the front and rear door speakers (4 total) and also the amp.

The system doesnt have to be top of the line, I just want to be able to enjoy my music when driving.

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to avoid installing new tweeters or a sub(s) in the trunk.

ejschultz
04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
When I did my 97, I pulled the tweeters out of the dash, pulled the front speakers out, left the rears in but I don't run them, put in my own 2 channel for my new front stage, and put a decent set of components up front. Those factory tweeters in there are absolute garbage. You'll definitely want to change them. I don't know how easily the dash comes apart on the WJ though. On all ZJs it's pretty easy to get the tweeters out. I'd imagine you have some sort of design where the whole dash pad needs to be removed. Check out my build log if you have any questions about exactly what I did. I think my Jeep starts somewhere around page 5 or 6. After that, it's a mix of my Jeep and my Caprice.

ssean
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking about installing 6.5" subs in the front doors and 6.5" components in the rear doors. Does that sound like a solid idea?

-01limited-
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Run a 2 way component system up front and dont worry about the rears. The tweeters are easy to get to, just get a paint scrapper or something really thing and go in between the dash and trim panel thats right up on the windshield and it just pops up. Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Factory audio components removal (http://wjjeeps.com/audio.htm#DASH) there's good information on that site. There was a guy on here that hollowed out the tweeters and mounted his smaller aftermarket ones in the frame of the old tweeter so it would mount right up.

tobey
04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
You should have the subs in the rear and the mids/highs in the front. Otherwise it would be like going to a concert and standing with your back towards the band...

-01limited-
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
You should have the subs in the rear and the mids/highs in the front. Otherwise it would be like going to a concert and standing with your back towards the band...

He's talking more or less about midbasses. The jeep has stock 6x9 woofers in the doors and tweets in the dash.

ejschultz
04-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I had to make my factory tweeter bracket bigger to fit my Pioneers in there. The ZJ uses smaller tweeters though.

-01limited-
04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I had to make my factory tweeter bracket bigger to fit my Pioneers in there. The ZJ uses smaller tweeters though.

Yeah, these use a 2.5" "midrange" is what they call it, but they blow so **** easy its ridiculous. I've had my disconnected since the day I bought mine. My temp setup is just some cheap coaxials in the doors, I switched the tweeter wires with the door midbasses after the amp so I'd get my highs through the door speakers I got now. I'm such a cheap ***=(

ejschultz
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't think there's really any way to use the factory amp properly with a set of components. You'll have to run new wiring (to both the tweeters and mids) and use a separate amplifier for them. I had a hell of a time running wiring into the doors. I pulled the factory "loom" back, ran the wiring from under the dash into the loom, cut the factory speaker wire, then tapped into that with butt connectors. I hate Molex.

hrtbrk1
04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
i got some cheap 6x9s that im selling...also...yeah id ditch that infinity amp, i had a 99 and disconnected it and ran another amp...

ssean
09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Run a 2 way component system up front and dont worry about the rears. The tweeters are easy to get to, just get a paint scrapper or something really thing and go in between the dash and trim panel thats right up on the windshield and it just pops up. Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Factory audio components removal (http://wjjeeps.com/audio.htm#DASH) there's good information on that site. There was a guy on here that hollowed out the tweeters and mounted his smaller aftermarket ones in the frame of the old tweeter so it would mount right up.

Thanks for the advice. So you think I can get away with one set of 2-way components?

dontbeaprix
09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. So you think I can get away with one set of 2-way components?
yes spend your money on a good set of componets up front, and get a good 4 channel amp in case you decide you gotta have the rear speakers.
mb quart makes nice budget amps.