PDA

View Full Version : Component set issues

nstillmatic
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm having a problem, I have the Polk MM6501's and for some reason at a mid volume they make a weird rattle noise when hitting.. and it seems like the highs distort too. I'm powering them with a SAX 125.2. Not even a week after I had them the dust caps on the midwoofers blew off. Why would this be? I've tried raising/lowering the gain, but this this rattle occurs at just a decent volume level.

If I blew them somehow it's not a HUGE deal, because I'm just going buy an HAT Imagine set but I don't want this to happen to them too. What could be the problem??

blazeplacid
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
sounds like a settings issue

what are the crossed over at?

what are your settings on the headunit? bassboost on?

both sides make noise or just one?

nstillmatic
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I think they're crossed over at about 50hz or so, like it says in the manual. The rattle mostly occurs when there is bass on both sides, and there's distortion in the highs (left more than right). I have all the settings on the HU turned off because I set the crossover on the amp (plus I use an indash EQ, all knobs in default position, between the HU and amp).

SpeedEuphoria
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
with decent power you prob need a HPF at 80hz instead of 50hz

nstillmatic
04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
That wouldn't explain the distorted high though. And Ive tried bumping it up to80 with the same problem.

okiedokie
04-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Distrotion can come from a bad install-gains set to high-not deadening doors-bass boost turn up-EQ bass turned all the way up.
I hope you aren't trying to get sub bass from those 6.5?

I would return them for the HAT's or something else.
you might want to get some Image Dynamics before they dry up

nstillmatic
04-20-2011, 01:16 AM
I've tried adjusting the gains. Both bass boost and bass settings are turned down. My doors aren't deadened however, and I'm not sure what a bad install would refer to. And yeah, I'm getting the HAT's but I don't want those to end up the same way if it was something I did... something must have went wrong if both the dust caps blew off the Polk midwoofers and it rattles like that at just a moderate volume.

Cruzer
04-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Rattles are from the door not the speakers. Use sound deadner

as for tweets distorting my guess would be gains too high or amp/hu signal isn't too clean

nstillmatic
04-20-2011, 01:46 AM
It sure sounds like the actual midwoofer is rattling though. If it was just the door then why would the dust caps blow off like that?

Kangaroux
04-20-2011, 01:48 AM
It sure sounds like the actual midwoofer is rattling though. If it was just the door then why would the dust caps blow off like that?

haven't read much of the thread but if stuff like that is happening it sounds like your gain is up too high.

nstillmatic
04-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Is it really a possibility that the gain is too high? The set is rated at 125RMS and I'm using a Sundown 125.2, gains were set with a DMM and I rarely turn the volume up further than halfway.

trumpet
04-20-2011, 11:10 AM
What seems obvious to me is your speakers could be defective and you blew them. Running them up to and after the point of breaking the dust caps off sounds like either you don't know what you're doing or it's time to change speakers. If you bought the Polks from an authorized dealer I would contact them for a warranty claim.