PDA

View Full Version : Hey... I need to learn the basics

sjv13
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Well, hello. I am 16 years old and have my first car (2000 Volvo v70). I am interested in getting a bit more out of my stereo. What I am looking for is to just get better sounding music. Bass is important to me, but so are all the other ranges of sound. I guess you could call me a clean slate, because I really have no prior knowledge of anything having to do with car audio.

Here is what I would like to do:
1) Get better sound that stock (ultimately)
2) Learn what things (brands, gimmicks, etc) to stay away from
3) Learn what brands and components are good
4) Learn what I need to improve sound
5) Learn the basics of car audio

Something you should know:
My budget is pretty small right now, and I plan on doing this stuff in steps. As I said, this is my first vehicle, so the prices should correlate with that fact. But I don't want to skimp too much, as I plan on having this car for quite a while. Any knowledge you can bestow on me will be helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT: You should also know that I already have a Pioneer 8200-BT deck.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-12-2011, 05:10 AM
We dont do basics around here so GTFO!

Hahaha just kiddin man... What where you thinkin for your first system? just speakers and deck, speakers and amps, subs too... PM me I may have some stuff for you that we can work out a price on...

Bassin Buick
04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
bettr is a good guy , got some nice stuff for decent prices too.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Thank ya sir... I need to get rid of some stuff for a 6 channel and batts for the new build... I actually have pretty much a whole system here if he wants lol

Suicide Bobb
04-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Well, hello. I am 16 years old and have my first car (2000 Volvo v70). I am interested in getting a bit more out of my stereo. What I am looking for is to just get better sounding music. Bass is important to me, but so are all the other ranges of sound. I guess you could call me a clean slate, because I really have no prior knowledge of anything having to do with car audio.

Here is what I would like to do:
1) Get better sound that stock (ultimately)
2) Learn what things (brands, gimmicks, etc) to stay away from
3) Learn what brands and components are good
4) Learn what I need to improve sound
5) Learn the basics of car audio

Something you should know:
My budget is pretty small right now, and I plan on doing this stuff in steps. As I said, this is my first vehicle, so the prices should correlate with that fact. But I don't want to skimp too much, as I plan on having this car for quite a while. Any knowledge you can bestow on me will be helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT: You should also know that I already have a Pioneer 8200-BT deck.

Ultimately, your best way to learn is to run around the new member introduction section and check out threads like this. You'll get a wider amount of opinions that way, and you'll learn better that way as well.

Good luck!

disturbed471985
04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
To get instant gratification I would do a nice set of comps up front on a good 2 channel. Bass can come later but I love the sound of a good front stage.. U can get a decent 2 channel and a good comp set for under $175 easy. As far as learning more about car audio well u better get ready to do a lot of reading and this site has some very good info if you search for it.

Suicide Bobb
04-12-2011, 05:30 AM
To get instant gratification I would do a nice set of comps up front on a good 2 channel. Bass can come later but I love the sound of a good front stage.. U can get a decent 2 channel and a good comp set for under $175 easy.

This.

And by comps, he means component speakers. This means that the tweeter and woofer are separate, not mounted together. Speakers that allow you to use them either component or coaxial are called convertible speakers.

If you separately amplify a nice set of comps, meaning power them from a 2 or 4-channel amp instead of the headunit, you will be VERY satisfied until your budget increases. I suggest you try a pair of DD CS-series comps, they are about $150 for a pair of 6.5" comps and well worth the money. For a lower budget, you can get Crescendo 6.5" convertibles for $100, or Phoenix Gold RSD comps for <$75.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Get a set of Comps Ive got a couple amps, a sub, possiblely a box and wiring for ya hahaha

disturbed471985
04-12-2011, 05:35 AM
This.

And by comps, he means component speakers. This means that the tweeter and woofer are separate, not mounted together. Speakers that allow you to use them either component or coaxial are called convertible speakers.

If you separately amplify a nice set of comps, meaning power them from a 2 or 4-channel amp instead of the headunit, you will be VERY satisfied until your budget increases. I suggest you try a pair of DD CS-series comps, they are about $150 for a pair of 6.5" comps and well worth the money. For a lower budget, you can get Crescendo 6.5" convertibles for $100, or Phoenix Gold RSD comps for <$75.

Both of the ones in bold are solid speakers and when amped sound **** good for the price. I can not suggest the DDCS as I owned a set of DDC 6.5's and they just outright ******. Blew two pair within a week. Cones came seperated from the baskets. Ask louisianacrx he knows that both pair of my ddc's were POS and must have had some kind of manf issue. Nonetheless I did not use the warranty on the 2nd set that blew as I was just done with DD but some like them. Maybe I just got a couple bad pairs IDK.

sjv13
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok, thanks guys. What I decided I am really looking for is just to get a pair of good speakers and whatever I need to hook them up properly. As I mentioned, I already have a deck, and just need to know what I should do from there. I have around $250 to spend (I know it's not that much at all), and I would like to know what I should buy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want to get 2 new speakers up front I need an amp and wires. Is that it? Also, since I'm not really interested in buying used (sorry bettr) I was thinking that Amazon.com would be an ok place to buy stuff? Lastly, what speakers, amps, and wires do you guys recommend. I just would like a quick little set up to fit my budget that sounds better than stock. I can spend a bit more money too, if that extra amount will help me get what I need, or if there is something worth upgrading to just outside my original $250.

Thanks!

twistedchild420
04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Download and read this....

Download BBS.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/9fmmu8)