PDA

View Full Version : Just another noob..

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi there!
Well I'm pretty new to this whole thing, don't know much about much.
Decided sometime late last year that maybe I'd try my hand at finally putting in some decent music into my car.
I've spent quite some hrs doing research (because I basically didn't know anything about it) and then planing what I want for my system and then bought a couple items, prematurely so I realised after...
Then hit some funding problems so I laid off it for a couple months and now I've deciding to get stuff started back up again.
Still looking into stuff and I realised there's still so much to know and learn about and I always have questions that I have to search around forums and piece together answers for. So I decided to join here to make life easier. :)

Kangaroux
04-10-2011, 01:53 AM
welcome :)

what did you buy already?

Kangaroux
04-10-2011, 01:53 AM

NoLoud4U
04-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Just remember speakers need to break-in before the sound good so dont feel bad about your choices before you give them some play time.

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Just remember speakers need to break-in before the sound good so dont feel bad about your choices before you give them some play time.

Ahh yes I've read that I should wait a couple weeks before opening them out. But still a long way from actually playing them lol.
I need alot of help for the Q&A for my build.

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 02:40 AM

Just the car stereo: Pioneer DEH-P4200UB
and the sub: Pioneer TS-W3002D2

Phoenix Risen
04-10-2011, 02:58 AM

do you really know what your talking about?

the only thing car audio that really needs break in time would be high power subs with very stiff spiders :fyi:

Just the car stereo: Pioneer DEH-P4200UB
and the sub: Pioneer TS-W3002D2

not bad choices for a starter system.

what are your goals, do you just want it to sound better or do you want it to be loud?

also what kind of budget do you have to play with for it.

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 03:03 AM
not bad choices for a starter system.

what are your goals, do you just want it to sound better or do you want it to be loud?

also what kind of budget do you have to play with for it.

Good sounding system definitely!
I really want good clarity of music.
Wouldn't hurt if it's loud as well :)
Budget-wise I don't know yet, but definitely around mid-range components I'd say, definitely want to put out the money for good components cause it's an investment I want it to last. But really can't put out for higher-end stuff.

rc10mike
04-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Read everything on the12volt.com and bcae1.com.

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Read everything on the12volt.com and bcae1.com.

yeps, I've read a fair amount from bcae1.com
Question though, because I have lots of tid-bits to find out, do I create one thread with my system as I go along and ask questions there. Or should I ask the questions as I go along in the related sections of the forum in specific threads?

sleazebagger
04-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Good sounding system definitely!
I really want good clarity of music.
Wouldn't hurt if it's loud as well :)
Budget-wise I don't know yet, but definitely around mid-range components I'd say, definitely want to put out the money for good components cause it's an investment I want it to last. But really can't put out for higher-end stuff.

Thats good, dont waste your time and $$$ on bullsht components. Learn how to install and tune a couple of 6.5's or whatever u need and you will be on the right track.

Forget about a sub right now. Everyone"like myself" goes into this thing azz backwards at first unless u follow direction. Once you learn to do all this then the next part of your system will be a breeze.

You said you want mid-range, well midrange is in the 4-500.00 range and anything below that is crap if your looking for SQL.

Some good places to start: Focal, MB quart, Hertz. There lower end speakers will be the mid range of car audio.

Once you figure out what kind of speakers ur gonna put in then its time to find out your power requirements. If your gonna do all four speakers and a sub then forget about everything and get a Alpine PDX 5. All your problems will be solved for around 400 bucks /end of story.

You will have a beautiful sounding system with enough bass to get a little loud.

If the sub aint loud enough for u down the road then u can easily tackle that problem with some good deals on here:)

Heeltoeclutch
04-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Welcome to the forum man :wave:

Good job on doing your research. So much good info and helpful people on this forum. Don't be afraid to make a thread if you have a question, but try and search to see if its already been answered (im sure you know this). :)

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Thats good, dont waste your time and $$$ on bullsht components. Learn how to install and tune a couple of 6.5's or whatever u need and you will be on the right track.

Forget about a sub right now. Everyone"like myself" goes into this thing azz backwards at first unless u follow direction. Once you learn to do all this then the next part of your system will be a breeze.

You said you want mid-range, well midrange is in the 4-500.00 range and anything below that is crap if your looking for SQL.

Some good places to start: Focal, MB quart, Hertz. There lower end speakers will be the mid range of car audio.

Once you figure out what kind of speakers ur gonna put in then its time to find out your power requirements. If your gonna do all four speakers and a sub then forget about everything and get a Alpine PDX 5. All your problems will be solved for around 400 bucks /end of story.

You will have a beautiful sounding system with enough bass to get a little loud.

If the sub aint loud enough for u down the road then u can easily tackle that problem with some good deals on here:)

Oh didn't realise mid-range was that high ... maybe I mean't a little lower lol..
Okay let me just go into what I have in my mind so far..
I was more thinking along the lines of a couple pairs of
Alpine SPR-17Cs
and Kicker 08KS25 tweeters
I was trying to figure out the right amps for them and the sub... was thinking Hifonics cause they're cheap really and seem to have good reviews..
I'm definitely gonna do a big three upgrade. And going to get a high output alternator off of ebay, saw a good 165amp for a good price. I may spring for a 200amp if the price is right.
I also want to put an extra battery in so I'm deciding on which power cell to buy, was thinking an Optima yellow top D34/78, but now I'm thinking a Kinetik power cell (not sure which model would be right to use).
The last thing I can think of off the top of my head is an AudioControl 6XS crossover..

Heeltoeclutch
04-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Oh didn't realise mid-range was that high ... maybe I mean't a little lower lol..
Alpine SPR-17Cs
I was trying to figure out the right amps for them and the sub... was thinking Hifonics cause they're cheap really and seem to have good reviews..
I'm definitely gonna do a big three upgrade. And going to get a high output alternator off of ebay, saw a good 165amp for a good price. I may spring for a 200amp if the price is right.
I also want to put an extra battery in so I'm deciding on which power cell to buy, was thinking an Optima yellow top D34/78, but now I'm thinking a Kinetik power cell (not sure which model would be right to use).
The last thing I can think of off the top of my head is an AudioControl 6XS crossover..

As far as the amp goes, if you're not afraid of buying used, you can get something much better (unless you're talking old hifonics) on here for the same money. I have two amps from 92', both SQ beasts that I got on the forums. The same quality would've cost at least twice as much new. I'm so happy with them :) I've never bought a used battery so I can't comment on that, but you can also get used wire here for much cheaper than the same stuff new if you're on a budget.

sleazebagger
04-10-2011, 04:22 AM
Alpine SPR-17Cs

Trust me, start small and go with quality. Take your time with your build and learn some sht.

You will end up saving a crap load of money doing it right the first time. Don't just throw a bunch of stuff in your car to get it bangin', it'll end up sounding like crap.

Batt, big three, yes!

Save $ and ditch the alt idea. use that $ to buy quality.

Get a good HU, amp, components and learn how to tune. Tuning is not easy.

Then u can think about big power.

Thats just my 2 cents but I know many others will back that.

Also, you can get all this from the right people on here for a good price. fuc ebay and CL

audioholic
04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
yeps, I've read a fair amount from bcae1.com
Question though, because I have lots of tid-bits to find out, do I create one thread with my system as I go along and ask questions there. Or should I ask the questions as I go along in the related sections of the forum in specific threads?

We are fairly lenient on where you post your questions in the tech section, so long as you aren't doing something obviously wrong like posting a thread on headunits in the subwoofer section. And even then, unless it appears you are blatantly ignoring rules, a mod would probably just move your thread to the appropriate section. Look at how you post, what you post, and where you post, as a process of wanting to get the most appropriate attention. You will probably get more replies on a question about subwoofers in the subwoofer section than you would in the general section, for example.

Welcome aboard.

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Trust me, start small and go with quality. Take your time with your build and learn some sht.

You will end up saving a crap load of money doing it right the first time. Don't just throw a bunch of stuff in your car to get it bangin', it'll end up sounding like crap.

Batt, big three, yes!

Save $ and ditch the alt idea. use that $ to buy quality.

Get a good HU, amp, components and learn how to tune. Tuning is not easy.

Then u can think about big power.

Thats just my 2 cents but I know many others will back that.

Also, you can get all this from the right people on here for a good price. fuc ebay and CL

Well it's a really small car, a 2000 Echo stock is like a 70 amp alt I think, so I think I'll have to change it anyhow.
And again sorry, I'm new.. what exactly do you mean when you say tune?
I'm only familiar with tuning (well read about) subwoofers which is related to how to build the enclosure..

SupaFreak2005
04-10-2011, 01:06 PM
As far as the amp goes, if you're not afraid of buying used, you can get something much better (unless you're talking old hifonics) on here for the same money. I have two amps from 92', both SQ beasts that I got on the forums. The same quality would've cost at least twice as much new. I'm so happy with them :) I've never bought a used battery so I can't comment on that, but you can also get used wire here for much cheaper than the same stuff new if you're on a budget.

Well I'm from outside the US, so I really don't think that'd work out unfortunately. Thanks though, I'll still have a look around.