PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my Wifi/Internet connection

Slayerx
04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Well I have 2 problems, don't know if they are related.
First off, my internet keeps going out, and I get a DNS server not responding message. Usually happened about once a month, and a power cycle of the modem would fix it. Well now it's doing it multiple times a day, with the power cycle only working for a short time.

Secondly, recently my wifi connection keeps dropping. Yesterday, the lights on the router were going off, like the one for wifi, and the one for router (it's a Belkin F5D7234-4). Today the lights are flashing like normal, but the devices I connect it to keep acting like it's not there, and than reconnect, and drop again, over and over. While it's connected it works fine.
I've tried turning protected mode on, since I'm in an apartment complex, and figured there's a lot of interference, but it didn't help.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks

buildmeabox
04-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a bad modem...

MONSONwarrior
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I have the same problem with my Motorola Surfboard. We've had it for the past five years and recently it's been going out when I stream a lot or if it sits too long without being reset. I think it's a heat problem because it's pretty **** warm when I reset it. I just can't figure out why it just started doing this after about 4 years of working just fine.

buildmeabox
04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I still suspect a bad modem but try the steps below to test my idea.

1. Click Start. Type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

It will show the message successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.

3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /registerdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

4. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /)
The ipconfig /all command displays Windows TCP/IP settings for all your network adapters.

If your IP address for your Local Area Connection is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x (where x is any number), then your computer is not getting an IP address from the router.
If that is the case, try this:

ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER

ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER

Test it again by typing ipconfig /all to see what the address is? (If you are on a home router, it should start with either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x or 10.x.x.x)

I hope this helps, if you get an error message when renewing your IP address, I suspect the modem.