PDA

View Full Version : New Speaker Advice

Nate Schwartz
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi all,

I am very new to the car audio hobby, but I am eager to learn and get into it. I am actually moving back to the U.S. from Japan in a little over a week and I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla waiting for me (I know not the most bad *** car ever haha). Anyway, I have already purchased the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT head unit and am looking for new speakers to round things out. I do not have a huge budget, but am looking at around the $400ish range. I have been researching all over the place and have run into a few things that I am not sure about.

First, what speakers will actually fit. I have used Crutchfield's outfit my car feature to get ideas and am only left more confused. From what I can find the max depth for my front speakers is around 3in but Crutchfield basically says there are a only a very small handful of speakers that fit. When I asked about it they said it was because the tweeters on most of their speakers would be too big and wouldn't fit inside the speaker grill on the door. Does that sound right? If that is the case then what good is the top mount depth number that gets listed on all the speakers? Is there a way I can figure out what exactly will fit and what will not? Most of the speakers that they do say will fit are components, but I would prefer to go with coaxial due to the much simpler installation. I could be persuaded to do component if the quality improvement will be truly worth it.

Second, amp or no amp? Would you all recommend nicer speakers with no amp initially or would you get a lower end amp and front and rear speakers all at the same time. To be clear, I am not looking for anything too fancy. I just want some good sounding speakers for a change. They do not have to be crazy loud nor do I want car shaking bass by any means. I just want a decent to good all around speaker system.

Here is an example of what crutchfield recomended based on what they say will fit:
Front Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1304C
Rear Speakers: Pioneer TS-A6964R
Amp: Kenwood KAC-2404S

With all that being said, any advice or what to get or what further research I should be doing before I dive into this new hobby for the first time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time and responses!

Nate