PDA

View Full Version : Have co- axials in front, will new tweeters cause trouble

adrdsouza
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I have 2 sets of Alpine SPR69C (Type R, 6X9) in My Mitsubishi Montero. The rears are stock location but I custom fit them in the front doors (There was space for a 5 1/2). These are currently being fed 45 watts RMS per speaker and in the near future I plan to feed them the whole 100 watts RMS. Since the speakers are near the feet, I feel that most of the highs, especially vocal detail is lost (sounds better when I move my feet and when theres nobody in the passenger seat) If I Add a set of Apine/ Kenwood tweeters to the A pillar, behind the mirrors, will there be cancellation of highs due to the tweets in the Co-axials? A local installer told me he clipped the wires to the tweets on his co-axials. Is that something that can be done?

dragonrage
03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes. Clip the wire. You will want a crossover, though.

trumpet
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a component set that has tweeters to mount on the windshield, the "main" tweeters next to the woofers in the doors, and crossovers to handle two sets of tweeters. It's the CDT Audio UpStage design. It should be easily adapted for your situation with High Pass passive crossovers and additional tweeters.

Don't cut your tweeter wires unless you find the treble is overpowering with a second pair of tweeters. With the tweeters so far from the doors you shouldn't run into reflection and cancellation issues with the coaxials. You can always attenuate the level of the upper tweeters by turning down the gain on the amp or fading the head unit F to R.

adrdsouza
04-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Won't turning down the amp or fading to rear affect even the woofer on the co-axials? Since there is no way I can tell if there will be reenforcement or cancellation I wanted to avoid either. Could you explain how the amp's built-in variable crossover (32-320HZ) works. If I use it on the full range speakers to cut off the higher frequencies that will be handled by the component tweeters where will the frequencies cut off?

trumpet
04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I apologize for my previous post which left some things up to assumption. You can wire up your front speakers more than one way if you add 2 more tweeters. If you want to save money and you can power the upper tweeters off the head unit. The fader control could be used to turn down the tweeters and emphasize the coaxials if they are separated front and rear.

The crossover you described has a low pass filter for subwoofers. Even if you have the option of setting it to full range or high pass it will not be suitable for tweeters. You'll need to use a crossover matched to the tweeters or get an electronic crossover and choose an appropriate cutoff frequency and slope.